Chosing a synthetic

I made mine into a cat toy, but was not happy with the materials used, the bristles smelt of PVC and the glue also smelt strange. So a keyboard brush is a good idea

I was looking to break the knot out of my 2 Tom brushes and put in a couple of home made handles. Now I have them, I'm not sure they are worthy of that fate.
I'll have a couple of test lathers before I decide.
Any tips for the best way to remove the knots - apart from waiting for the handle to split by using it more than once like Nishy ;-)

I got mine today, and I was pretty worried after reading the comments here, but my verdict (at the moment, we'll see on the long run) is NOT BAD AT ALL...

img-2010.jpg

1rst lathering in the palm (MWF), 20s of loading, 3mn of lathering, no water added

img-2011.jpg

2nd lathering, 3 to 5 mn of lathering, about 1/2 a spoon of water while processing

img-2012.jpg

The brush is quite firm, but the ends are still soft, however it may not be very suitable for face lathering (I'll test it tomorrow). Overall, the feeling is way far from the Plisson, and performances a little below, but if you're on budget, that will do!

I must say, it's a pretty good brush for the price, the knot IMHO is as good as the Kent Silvertex. Face lathering with it is average, just enough lather for 3 passes, but I mostly palm lather, and the Tomtop is really built for this.

img-2016.jpg

The only downside might be the handle, which started to crack after 2 days, but still holding at the moment.

img-2015.jpg

Cristobal said:
I must say, it's a pretty good brush for the price, the knot IMHO is as good as the Kent Silvertex. Face lathering with it is average, just enough lather for 3 passes, but I mostly palm lather, and the Tomtop is really built for this.

The only downside might be the handle, which started to crack after 2 days, but still holding at the moment.

img-2015.jpg

The knot sounds fine but that handle.

Seeing there is only 12 days until the big day, and that my Grooming co synthetic has arrived (judging by the customs ticket, Pictures to appear on the Christmas acquisition thread) I was wondering if there is a different technique to using a synthetic?

Jim

Re: RE: Chosing a synthetic

jim3rg said:
Seeing there is only 12 days until the big day, and that my Grooming co synthetic has arrived (judging by the customs ticket, Pictures to appear on the Christmas acquisition thread) I was wondering if there is a different technique to using a synthetic?

Jim
I like to treat it like a badger a long pre soak and a few flicks before lathering. Dry the same way too strop on a towel and hung. I find the Plisson to mimic a Silvertip badger best this way.

Synthetic brush tips:

1. You do not need to soak the brush. It is useless for synthetics since Nylon and / or Taklon fibers cannot absorb water. Some brushes can retain water between the fibers in small drops, but most users get too much water than they are use to and have a wetter mixture than they intended.
2. If you are face lathering, have some water on the face and apply the shave stick to the face. Dip the end of the brush in a little bit of water and begin to lather. Dip the brush in a little bit more water as the lather builds until you have thick rich lather. Think of it as adding water to build the moisture on the face. Once you have enough moisture the brush will retain moist lather.
3. If you use soap from a puck or container, dip the end of the brush in a little bit of water rub the soap on and begin to lather. Dip the brush in a little bit more water as the lather builds until you have thick rich lather. Again, think of it as adding water to build the moisture on the face. Once you have enough moisture the brush will retain moist lather.
4. If you bowl lather, put a very small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl and dip the end of the brush in a little bit of water rub the soap on and begin to lather. Add water until the lather becomes moist and smooth.

Greetings

I have only just got myself up to date on this thread: I am hugely impressed with those handles on the Tomtop brushes; real quality!! :icon_razz:

I do so hope you keep us updated eg the first handle to last a week and perhaps any that survive longer than a fortnight!:icon_lol:

Regards
Dick.

Just had an email and full refund offer from tomtop. They claim quality control was not up to standard. I said no as the condition, as per usual was to change my review comment to a positive impression.

Nishy said:
Just had an email and full refund offer from tomtop. They claim quality control was not up to standard. I said no as the condition, as per usual was to change my review comment to a positive impression.

In those situations I tend to leave positive feedback. I make it clear in the comment that the product wasn't up to snuff, but that the customer service was good.

Wondering what people's opinions on the new Body Shop brush are? I have the old one, which I dislike but use as a travel brush.

seejaysee said:
Nishy said:

In those situations I tend to leave positive feedback. I make it clear in the comment that the product wasn't up to snuff, but that the customer service was good.

Wondering what people's opinions on the new Body Shop brush are? I have the old one, which I dislike but use as a travel brush.

That's probably the best way to go about it. Will do that.

I asked in my local body shop but they just had the old version, the lady I spoke to knew her synthetics which was refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom