Chosing a synthetic

Well, its actually my better half thats getting it for me as a gift. I tried a boar, horse, horse badger mix so gonna add a synthetic to my arsenal. It could be heading towards another addiction though.

:)

jim

jim3rg said:
Well, its actually my better half thats getting it for me as a gift. I tried a boar, horse, horse badger mix so gonna add a synthetic to my arsenal. It could be heading towards another addiction though.

jim

Of those three you should try the Plisson first because it will be a little less stiff than the other two in terms of backbone. The fibers are the thinnest of the three so it will have a feel more toward badger (not exactly like it though.)

jim3rg said:

jim

Ain't that always the way! My first ever brush was a body shop synthetic which I used until the wooden handle fell apart. I doubt I'll go full circle for a while yet.

Greg.

Thanks for the input guys, I like the black and white swirl handle of the Grooming Co brush and it is supposed to have a small handle which would suit my girly hands. But considering I am a bowl latherer it may not be the best one. I don't really fancy an omega but that may be down to the boar brush I had. The Plisson is a contender now, So its between the Plisson and the Grooming Co.

Jim

I am looking one myself to try. (Probably use it for travelling with but also keen to feel the synth fibres). Was about to pull the trigger on a plisson but there out of stock online and in my local shop. Is Bullgoose the only place to get a Grooming company? They were my first choice as from reviews they are stiffer and the plisson handle is supposed to be awful.
$55 isn't bad for the brush but then with $12 shipping and roughly £17 customs and handling its a pricey brush.
Any EU distributors?
Paul.

If you don't like boars then I would stay away from both an Omega Hi-brush and the Kent Infinity.

I have both brushes and they both mimic boars more than badgers but then both these brushes are the two synths I use most. My favourite being the Omega Hi-brush but the reason I like that is that it has a good backbone and lets me face lather in a very similar way I do when using my boars.

I have a Muhle synth as well but it rarely sees any uses but mine is the previous generation of knot so the latest one may well be better.

I'm still not convinced with the Plisson, someone who recently bought one had the knot fall out of it, and he's one of a few I've seen on forums/Facebook recently to have this occur, and I still can't force myself to pay that much for a synth knot. Too many decent boars and horse brushes out there for a lot less than the Plisson.

I've got 4 synths, Body Shop, Kent Infinity, Muhle and the Omega Hi-brush and to be honest I rarely reach for one.

I'm off on my travels this weekend and have been testing brush/soap combos to take with me and I've decided on the Vulfix Bodger ahead of all my synths. Just a better brush, imo.

I still don't really get synths or what they offer if I'm honest but I do seem to be in the minority.

Well, we have a friend in USA that will ne happy to mail one to us, the value wont be more than £20 seeing its a gift. So hopefully I wont be hit for duty.

I have no idea as how it would work as a travel brush.

Have you used the Kent brushes Shemen?

Jim

Plisson any day. Great customer service, no issue with the brush, handle or bristles. Just as soft as a Silvertip and great density. Lather does no flow to the handle like other brands and looks classy sitting next to my others. Handle is a similar size to a 404. Knot dries in 30mins.

Re: RE: Chosing a synthetic

Nishy said:
Plisson any day. Great customer service, no issue with the brush, handle or bristles. Just as soft as a Silvertip and great density. Lather does no flow to the handle like other brands and looks classy sitting next to my others. Handle is a similar size to a 404. Knot dries in 30mins.
The lather in my V.Sheng purtec doesn't go to the bottom either, it does on the Kent Infinity.

Back
Top Bottom