Chosing a synthetic

I have a Muhle silvertip synth. I think its a great brush, really good with soaps or creams and easy to look after. I used to have to take great care when using a nice badger brush, but with these they are so simple to look after, and dry quickly!

I decided to try a synthetic brush, and based on the opinion of a fellow forum member (in a portuguese forum) i ended buying this brush.

http://www.tomtop.com/beard-brush-shaving-mustache-brush-with-bamboo-handle-h10965.html

I will post some pics tomorrow. And let me tell you what a surprise. Its super soft, makes tons of lather and its a really cheap brush. The knot is the same as the TGCo brushes (the Brazilian company, aka in other forums as the GroCo) and the handle isn't as bad as it looks. Worth a try anyway and i'm really glad i did.

And i also bought a Vig Shaving pur tech, after seeing a review on TSR about it. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I think the earlier reference to someone's knot falling out was to me as I posted about it in another thread. Customer service was excellent as I got a full refund. I could have easily glued it back in but the revealed wood used for the handle made me question the £65 price tag. If it had been a solid hardwood (which I thought it was) and not a stained wood I would have just repaired it.

Anyway, the recent price-drop nearly got me to buy another with the intention of making a handle for the knot - but I think the sale has now ended. I still may go for the tortoise shell acetate in the future if the price drops some more (which I noticed has happened at least once since I became aware of it).

Chris.

Kravocks said:
I decided to try a synthetic brush, and based on the opinion of a fellow forum member (in a portuguese forum) i ended buying this brush.

http://www.tomtop.com/beard-brush-shaving-mustache-brush-with-bamboo-handle-h10965.html

I will post some pics tomorrow. And let me tell you what a surprise. Its super soft, makes tons of lather and its a really cheap brush. The knot is the same as the TGCo brushes (the Brazilian company, aka in other forums as the GroCo) and the handle isn't as bad as it looks. Worth a try anyway and i'm really glad i did.

And i also bought a Vig Shaving pur tech, after seeing a review on TSR about it. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Some pics of the brush i was talking about, the Tomtop brush.

The fibers are the same as Plisson and TGCo. The handle is good and solid. Really satisfied with the brush. :icon_smile:

Just ordered the tomtop brush from ebay for £2.19 delivered. Even if it's awful it's worth £2 to try. Might even be worth taking the knot out and putting a new handle on it. I have an off cut of Purple Heart I'm looking to turn which needs a knot and 2.19 for a knot sounds good to me.

P.

Cristobal said:
Interesting! I have 2 of the same brush in my ebay watching list, and was really curious about their performance.
Don't forget to post a review!

I made several test lathers with it, and in all of then it made a wonderful lather, rich and creamy with no work at all, and it gives me a perfect control over the water added and makes the job a lot easier. It works best with creams and soft soaps or croaps, i haven't tried with hard pucks but from the softness of the fibers i think it will take some more work.

Cristobal said:
Interesting! I have 2 of the same brush in my ebay watching list, and was really curious about their performance.
Don't forget to post a review!

Could you possibly provide a link to these listings? I've had a search but can't find them.

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom