Chosing a synthetic

Re: RE: Chosing a synthetic

Shemen Zait said:
Nishy said:
Plisson any day. Great customer service, no issue with the brush, handle or bristles. Just as soft as a Silvertip and great density. Lather does no flow to the handle like other brands and looks classy sitting next to my others. Handle is a similar size to a 404. Knot dries in 30mins.
The lather in my V.Sheng purtec doesn't go to the bottom either, it does on the Kent Infinity.
Yep the Kent infinity was the main brush I was referring to. Never tried yours I have to admit. In terms of imitating a good badger knot the Plisson achieves this.

Well I use the Kent and the Omega and NEITHER brush used properly had lather going to the bottom.

I've never used a brush, and I have 20 of them, where the knot has dropped out, if you surf the net this now seems very popular occurance with the Plisson.

Of course you pay your money you go with the internet hype.

Griffo said:
Well I use the Kent and the Omega and NEITHER brush used properly had lather going to the bottom.

I've never used a brush, and I have 20 of them, where the knot has dropped out, if you surf the net this now seems very popular occurance with the Plisson.

Well that's the voice of REASON then. Internet hype? Is this the same hype you read about regarding knot breakage? Just for the record I bought a Plisson due to its excellent reviews and environmental stand point.

Don't worry I'm not a plisson bum basher, I don't agree with a 60 quid price tag so I emailed them, they refunded me £30 within 48 hours. Oh an the knot hasn't fallen out. Sorry I forgot to mention I also have tried many brushes (40+) we also sell many of the Kent and omega range and the Plisson is better IMO.

Put it this way I pay cost on either of the above but would happily buy the Plisson at retail over the other two.

Nishy said:
Griffo said:

Well that's the voice of REASON then. Internet hype? Is this the same hype you read about regarding knot breakage? Just for the record I bought a Plisson due to its excellent reviews and environmental stand point.

Don't worry I'm not a plisson bum basher, I don't agree with a 60 quid price tag so I emailed them, they refunded me £30 within 48 hours. Oh an the knot hasn't fallen out. Sorry I forgot to mention I also have tried many brushes (40+) we also sell many of the Kent and omega range and the Plisson is better IMO.

Put it this way I pay cost on the either of the above but would happily buy the Plisson at retail over the other two.

don't get arsey because i mention internet hype.

I've looked and checked over the Plisson at L'Occitane in Cardiff, at the time it was £75, the fact they are now trying to sell these at £35 tells you a lot about what you need to know.

If you are happy with it fine, I'm happy with you, I personally am not keen on ANY synth I've used and I certainly wasn't willing to spend £75 on the Plisson at the time. I doubt I'm willing to spend £35.

Fair play you are happy with it. Personally I think the handle was light weight and poor quality and the knot didn't feel like any of my silvertips when i checked it out in the shop. It felt what it is synthetic.

This is brush that they tried to sell at £75 originally and fair play if people like them personally i chose not to buy one.

As for ethical point of view - most synthetic knots are made by chemical companies - guess what Plisson don't make them, they buy them in probably from a firm in China who have one of the worst environmental records out there - and just let me know of how much damage to our environment chemical companies have been responsible for over the years.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/synthetic-shaving-brush-knots.html

dupont - what a great ethical record they have.

Griffo said:
Nishy said:
Griffo said:

Put it this way I pay cost on the either of the above but would happily buy the Plisson at retail over the other two.

I've looked and checked over the Plisson at L'Occitane in Cardiff, at the time it was £75, the fact they are now trying to sell these at £35 tells you a lot about what you need to know.

If you are happy with it fine, I'm happy with you, I personally am not keen on ANY synth I've used and I certainly wasn't willing to spend £75 on the Plisson at the time. I doubt I'm willing to spend £35.

Fair play you are happy with it. Personally I think the handle was light weight and poor quality and the knot didn't feel like any of my silvertips when i checked it out in the shop. It felt what it is synthetic.

This is brush that they tried to sell at £75 originally and fair play if people like them personally i chose not to buy one.

As for ethical point of view - most synthetic knots are made by chemical companies - guess what Plisson don't make them, they buy them in probably from a firm in China who have one of the worst environmental records out there - and just let me know of how much damage to our environment chemical companies have been responsible for over the years.

I wouldn't get arsey over a £30 brush. Just stating that internet hype is about as reliable as doctor Google. That being said one persons opinion is as valuable as another's depending on how you perceive them/it. I just don't see the need to announce in capitals were all listening and voicing an opinion, drama is unnecessary.

I think the bristle tips are as soft or softer than many silver tips I've felt. Handle is on the smallish size, I have big hands and use a wee Scott so this is no problem. If you solely bowl lather in a deep bowl the size may be an issue. Other than that a lovely wooden handle with great waterproof coating. Anyway enough of this jousting, if you want a great synthetic with the feel of a Silvertip badger minus the floppyness the Plisson stands tall.

Griffo said:
Nishy said:
Griffo said:

I wouldn't get arsey over a £30 brush. Just stating that internet hype is about as reliable as doctor Google. That being said one persons opinion is as valuable as another's depending on how you perceive them/it. I just don't see the need to announce in capitals were all listening and voicing an opinion, drama is unnecessary.

I think the bristle tips are as soft or softer than many silver tips I've felt. Handle is on the smallish size, I have big hands and use a wee Scott so this is no problem. If you solely bowl lather in a deep bowl the size may be an issue. Other than that a lovely wooden handle with great waterproof coating. Anyway enough of this jousting, if you want a great synthetic with the feel of a Silvertip badger minus the floppyness the Plisson stands tall.

Nishy, I apologise for for doing the forum "Shouting" thing, you are quite correct it was not called for and I apologise for it.

I got a little annoyed about the ethical comments bearing in mind where these knots come from and the environmental records some of these companies producing them have. I'm an animal lover but put in to context the environmental issues these companies have created, not just for humans but for animals as well, I find the ethical thing about synths a bit annoying. This is just me. Ethics is a difficult thing to argue and internet forums are certainly not the place.

People continually talk about the Plisson bristle but they have pretty much nothing to do with it other than gluing it in to their own made handle.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, it is equally as valid as mine and I'm very sorry if I came across a little angry and aggressive.

Griffo said:
Nishy, I apologise for for doing the forum "Shouting" thing, you are quite correct it was not called for and I apologise for it.

I got a little annoyed about the ethical comments bearing in mind where these knots come from and the environmental records some of these companies producing them have. I'm an animal lover but put in to context the environmental issues these companies have created, not just for humans but for animals as well, I find the ethical thing about synths a bit annoying. This is just me. Ethics is a difficult thing to argue and internet forums are certainly not the place.

People continually talk about the Plisson bristle but they have pretty much nothing to do with it other than gluing it in to their own made handle.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, it is equally as valid as mine and I'm very sorry if I came across a little angry and aggressive.
Apology accepted, hey we all have our opinions and things can get heated or passionate that's the beauty of sharing in a forum. As mentioned everyone is entitled to their opinion and hopefully they are of use to others. It's pointless raising blood pressure over a £30 shaving brush.

Nishy said:
Griffo said:

Apology accepted, hey we all have our opinions and things can get heated or passionate that's the beauty of sharing in a forum. As mentioned everyone is entitled to their opinion and hopefully they are of use to others. It's pointless raising blood pressure over a £30 shaving brush.

Absolutely and I've been a total numpty here.

My problem isn't environmental buy 'elementary'. Buying by mail and not being able to see or touch the product I have idea if I'm going to like the brush.
Synthetic, to me, has the same buying difficulties as badger/boar/or horse does.
Just saying that a synthetic brush is 1st/2nd/3rd generation, made in China of the US tells me nothing.
I'm Leary of buying any brush, by mail, that costs more than 20$.

ok, now that we are all friends again and noone needs to sit on the naughty step :p.

I have made my decision. There wasnt much between the Plisson and the Grooming company, but that black and white swirl handle seams too much of a draw to resist.

I should find it in my christmas stocking, unless I can snoop and find it first lol.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Jim

Hopefully everyone is a bit calmer today. Anyone tried the men-u premier synthetic? Rrp is a ridiculous £49.99 but they are on offer at Mankind for £20 delivered with a few extra bits and pieces. Might have a punt on one with the Plisson out of stock and the delivery costs of the Grooming Co.

Back
Top Bottom