Chosing a synthetic

Got my Tom brush today here's a pic of it (if tapatalk let's me upload) next to the Plisson. Now I haven't lathered it up as yet but on first inspection (and being an honest reviewer), the Plisson is miles ahead. This is somewhat similar to a bugatti v micra in a drag race.

The Tom brush has glue on the rim where the bristles meet the handle, large gaps appear at this point too. The handle is larger but slightly narrower. The Base of the handle isn't totally flat so the brush seems to topple easily! Bristles aren't as soft or plentiful compared to the Plisson and looks wise, well we sell one in the shop for 3.99 boar bristles and that even looks better than the Tom. This brush is budget and from the price that's what I expected. Plisson 1 Tom 0

Tapatalk won't let me upload pics if you really want them I can email. But it's only a £3 brush so even a review is slightly pointless lol

Well that's stopped me from ordering one! I've been trying to get hold of a Plisson knot from a Chinese manufacturer (from the pictures it looks pretty much identical) but they so far have nor been forthcoming ... I have to order a minimum of 1000 before I can get a sample. :dodgy:

Any suggestions for a superior synthetic knot seller on ebay? I never seem to have any luck with my searches. :icon_sad:

Chris.

Chris, check the Purtech offering from Virginia Sheng or Frank Shaving, see the link below. These are very close to the Plisson but inexpensive.

http://stores.ebay.com/Virginia-Shaving-Beauty-Store/Synthetic-Brush-/_i.html?_fsub=9952761018&_sid=1020223208&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

[attachment=12330]

[attachment=12331][attachment=12332]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170181.103208.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170181.103208.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 57
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170356.421896.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170356.421896.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 40
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170394.100637.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416170394.100637.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 37
Ok so lathered with both last night using MWF. Again miles of difference between them. Firstly to Tom brush,the bristles are fairly hard, similar to the big proraso or omega boar brush. By contrast the Plisson feels like a super or silver tip badger. Now what really is disappointing with the Tom is lather retention. My wee Scott could hold soap off the puck to a greater degree than the Tom in fact I used the Tom for half of my face the had to re apply soap! This is after loading for about a minute prior (MWF left to bloom brush left to soak). Again the Plisson being a synthetic doesn't hold as much as a badger but could comfortably do 3 passes with the same prep and loading time.

In conclusion I think I'll be avoiding purchases from China for a while now. Bought a cheap strop a few months back and I've learnt cheap products from China are precisely that.

Ok so the Tom brush is now two days old, but woke up this morning to find the handle split in half! It lasted one test lather (sunday) which wasn't completed with any force then left to dry with all my other brushes. Total disappointment!

Nishy said:
Ok so the Tom brush is now two days old, but woke up this morning to find the handle split in half! It lasted one test lather (sunday) which wasn't completed with any force then left to dry with all my other brushes. Total disappointment!

not at all good

Its a small amount but check with seller if he can refund

Re: RE: Chosing a synthetic

octopus said:
Nishy said:

not at all good

Its a small amount but check with seller if he can refund
I had the same with a strop from the same location in China, after being offered a 1p refund I sent the seller and eBay a nice email and got my full refund a day later, so will seek to get a refund with the Tom.

Never seen a handle split quite unbelievable.

fly3k said:
Sounds like you had a dodgy one Nishy. Mine easily held lather for three passes
Must have it couldn't even lather the fat! Then again for £3 quality control is probably non existent

"... new Vulfix 'Synthetec' range available soon.", says Simpson on Twitter

[attachment=12359]

In answer to the question, "What'll be the difference between these and the Simpson synthetics?", Simpson reply."Completely new fibres, uniquely developed by Vulfix."

Attachments

• Vulfix Synthetic.jpg
    Vulfix Synthetic.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 39
themadremmy said:
I see the tom brush featured in a SOTD on the big shave. They seemed to like it across the pond. Still waiting on mine arriving.

Well mine arrived today. Tried it out with some cella. Not great at all. Doesn't hold much lather and the bristles feel like fibre glass. It has quite a high loft which makes face lathering difficult as there is very little bend or splay in the fibres. Also what lather I got was drawn down towards the handle.
I guess for £2 it was worth a gamble. Paints ok and dries very quickly so might work for travelling. I'll give it another couple of test lathers before retiring it, see if it breaks in at all.
Can't wait for the Plisson to arrive now.

Back
Top Bottom