Chinese DE Blade PIF ###COMPLETED###

RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

Lose the beard said:
I think they are good blades. I don't personally rate feathers though, and haven't tried the polsilver or timor yet.

I would prefer to use some of these blades to feathers. I have no idea what they are priced like, price doesn't come to mind for me when deciding what's a good blade for shaving with.

I looked up the Taobao store and it is very confusing. Could you post direct links to the blades which are best in your opinion please?

I found it confusing, too. I'm not sure I can be bothered. Keep an eye on fleabay. There is a guy in the UK selling Chinese blades. Think his name is icechild. He is selling Super Thins which are Super Thins (as you would expect) but the ones with the Flying Eagle in the pic vary depending on which bulk brown box he opens up, so be wary of that. I was expecting all Flying Eagle and ended up with those Rhino blades. Next time it may be something different.

Halk said:
Are there any of these Chinese blades that you think are up there in quality with the likes of feather, timor, polsilver, etc? Or are you only happy with them because they're very cheap?
I would say the Gillette branded ones are up there with those kinds of blades (Super Thins and Super Blues) in terms of smoothness and sharpness but you'll only get two shaves out of each blade. That doesn't bother me though, in fact it makes it easier as I tend to switch blades arund in different razors.

NotTheStig said:
There is a guy in the UK selling Chinese blades. Think his name is icechild.

i ordered some blades from this seller last week and im waiting for them to be delivered. im hoping i strike it lucky with some decent blades, and even if i get one good shave per blade, its still worth the risk.

Hi all, after a few days off I tried that Ming Shi Super White blade. I have to say that the WTG pass was a bit disappointing - another blade that really felt as it struggled to cut through the stubble. However, it did pick up as the beard length was reduced (although there was only 24 hrs growth) and the XTG and ATG passes went more smoothly.

At the end of the 3 passes, I still felt rough and had to resort to a second ATG and a bit of a touch up around the chin where the beard is particularly wiry. However, despite multiple passes, I didn't feel any real irritation.

Overall, the final finish is very good and my face doesn't feel in the least bit raw. Perhaps this is a very gentle blade? Not sharp enough to sweep through stubble as if it wasn't there, but at least it isn't rough.

Not yet sure whether I'll have a second shave with it.

Sorry for the lack of updates from me chaps.

I have used three of the blades,

1 - Flying eagle - cracking blade, smooth and sharp. Three shaves
2 - Gillette Blue - nice blade, used only twice before nicking but perfectly good, nice smooth finish
3 - Ming Shi - Didnt get half way through the first pass and I had to change. It wasn't cutting through the whiskers and dragging. Not a nice experience, reminds me of some of the worst vintage blades I've used.

Tuesaday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades. Second pass with the Ming Shi Super White this morning. I had intended to change the blade before this shave but didn't get round to it yesterday.
Not a bad shave, but that's it for this blade, getting a bit dull now.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap : Cella
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Ming Shi Super White.
A/S: Barbershop Bay Rum
Cologne: Creed Santal

Summary so far in order of quality.

1. Super Gillette Blue, excellent blade. Sharp and Smooth, but only 2 shaves.
2. Flying Eagle, good sharp smooth blade, only lasted 2 shaves though.
3. Ming Shi Super White. Felt sharp and smooth, but a little tuggy initially. 2 shaves.
4. Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave. 1 shave.

Next Up

Ying JiLi Blue Diamond

Re: RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

Wednesday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades. First shave with the Ying JiLi Blue Diamond. This has to be the worst blade I have ever encountered, I took the blade out midway throughthe first pass and replaced it with my normal Gillette Super Thin.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Eton College
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Ying JiLi Blue Diamond / Gillette Super Thin
A/S: TOBS Eton College

Summary so far in order of quality.

1. Super Gillette Blue, excellent blade. Sharp and Smooth, but only 2 shaves.
2. Flying Eagle, good sharp smooth blade, only lasted 2 shaves though.
3. Ming Shi Super White. Felt sharp and smooth, but a little tuggy initially. 2 shaves.
4. Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave. 1 shave.
5. Ying JiLi Blue Diamond, blunt and tuggy. I ditched this blade during the first pass.

Next Up

Something sharper !!

I've been waiting for notification that the second payment for international shipping is due. Thought to check with MisterTao and lo! there was a link for making said payment - now duly done but only after wasting two weeks.

If you are waiting for MisterTao - go check your page there.

I've just received a parcel from MisterTao and it contained five hundred blades alright. Five hundred Swordfish instead of a 50/50 split with Flying Eagles.

The 'simple' way of correcting this is to sell two hundred and fifty Swordfish and buy two hundred and fifty Flying Eagles from MisterTao.

I put Swordfish blades up at or very near the top of the entire blade pile, others did not.

If there is an interest in buying these blades in blocks of fifty or one hundred, I'll put them in BST. I'd work out a price but 'cheap' will do for now. Anyone interested?

Thanks for the offer, Stu. If things go amiss, I might come back to you - I ordered 250 today. I have blades aplenty I need to get into a rotation of sorts now I've finished 'testing'. Very kind offer - thank you.

Back
Top Bottom