Car buying

MrK1 said:
Shemen Zait said:
I drive a 2003 Passat estate with the turbo version of the 1.9 diesel, the engine is simply over engineered. It's so durable I am not surprised they stopped building it.
I have the 2003 130bhp saloon version.
130,000 miles and the engine is still perfect.

Sadly a few niggling faults have started to creep in. Have to have a serious think about whether to spend some money on it or sell it.

I've had it from new and I really don't want to get rid of it.

That mileage is nothing! You've had it from new and they really don't make them like that any more.

We've have had one come to our place up to 296k miles before the owner px'd it. It was still going strong.

The milage is nothing and the engine is fine but it's the other bits that are going wrong.

The front ns window doesn't work
The rear os window doesn't work
Rust on the front os wheel arch
A little oil leaking from the gearbox
Front suspension has a little play in it which will probably get worse
NS door sensor is starting to fail, which not only means no warning tone if i leave the lights on but it doesn't register that i have opened the door after i have unlocked it so the doors lock themselves.

I know nothing about cars but I think the best part of £1k to get it all sorted.
The car can't be worth much more than that.

Car was dropped off last night, have called it Xena (don't ask why!)

Taxing took 2 minutes online, quick n easy now with the new rules. Insurance took a bit longer but eventually managed to get a good quote.

Now for breakdown cover. Is anyone with AA? I didn't go for the one thrown in with the insurance cos it took the premium up by £100. The relay/homestart whatever its called is £64.99 annually which isn't bad.

AA will try to up the price each year you are with them. I could this a pita having to ring up and argue the toss to get back to the price of the previous year / new customer price.
Since then I've gone with the rac as it's always the same price no hassle of phoning up to argue over price.

It used to be £55 odd the last time I drove, my mate paid £60 for the past year or so, so yes it does go up.

What are the RAC prices like?

Yes, They are very similar service wise and on the odd time I have needed them they both got me running again. It doesn't pay to be loyal to one company these days unfortunately.

Jim

I have AA cover only because they do the Breakdown Repair cover. If you call them out for a breakdown, they will pay the first £500 for the repair (£35xs), upto 5 repairs a year. I had a leaky radiator replaced and a battery replaced on it.
Well worth the £80ish it costs on top of a basic membership.

You do have to threaten to leave at renewal time though before they reduce the renewal.

Just looked them up and they're about the same price, but I didn't check what the service included. I've only ever had to call the AA once in my years of driven to replace a broken alternator.

Re: RE: Car buying

MrK1 said:
The milage is nothing and the engine is fine but it's the other bits that are going wrong.

The front ns window doesn't work
The rear os window doesn't work
Rust on the front os wheel arch
A little oil leaking from the gearbox
Front suspension has a little play in it which will probably get worse
NS door sensor is starting to fail, which not only means no warning tone if i leave the lights on but it doesn't register that i have opened the door after i have unlocked it so the doors lock themselves.

I know nothing about cars but I think the best part of £1k to get it all sorted.
The car can't be worth much more than that.
Depends how you see it.
My Passat is on 270+ k so yes things do go at this age.

Seat belt =£120
Rear washer motor =£120
Radiator = £137
Door lock :£239
Repairing the rust on the wheel arches £178
Brake sensor : £58
And there are other bits like windshield and tyres etc.

I spend around £450/year to maintain the beast but this is peanuts comparing with apr and depreciation on something new.

I've just had my strong but thirsty Volvo S40 totalled by a clumsy Merc. So I'm looking for a 50k miles, 5dr hatch with 100-115 bhp, 60mpg Diesel or 50mpg Petrol for about £4.5k in Derbyshire or North Notts, South Yorks.

Anyone selling something like or know of one?

Back
Top Bottom