Car buying

If the whistling only occurs at +70mph it's wind noise caused by a gap / hole somewhere. It could be something as small as a burst air-bubble in the paint work somewhere, or more likely around the door mirror / A –pillar (the bit between the windscreen and the door.) The only way to find the source is trial and error using duct tape. It's not a safety issue.

May have been when I hit the curb when trying to find my sat nav which fell on the floor. At first I thought it was to do with the air vents or window.

Gonna have to get a mate to sit in the passenger seat to try and diagnose cos I'm not blazing down the motorway at 70mph to try and identify it!

Does the whistling occur at any other time than 70mph?
Did you travel at 70mph prior to hitting the kerb? If yes did it whistle?
Have you asked the previous owner if it whistled when he/she drove it?

No it doesn't. When dropped down to 50mph it stopped.
And yes I did, on the way to my destination, and it didn't whistle on the way. Only the way back after hitting the kerb.
And no not yet, I should do that actually.

Found out the source of the problem, the passenger side window doesn't work, and a board of wood was place in the door to hold it in place, when shutting the door that side it must have slipped loose letting air in through the side. I did know this when buying the car just didn't realise what the source of the problem was. I'm thankful its nothing mechanical esp with an MOT to pay for next month!!!

For what it's worth, may I suggest a "Toyota" 1.3 Yaris my wife has had three (3) of these over the years. Not only are they as safe as houses...........

My wife having been involved in a multi car pile up & walked away unscathed (car a right off ) of the three models she had: 1.3 SR, a 1.3 T-Spirit and a 1.3 T-Sport and she loved them all. They are like a tartis inside, fantastic fuel consumption, cheap servicing & great fun to drive. Cheap insurance & road tax.

She is not so keen on the to-days new shape. More the shape & spec of the 3-4 & 5 years ago. These can be found with a very low miles for between £2K & £4K.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Charles U.K

Re: RE: Car buying

Prius111 said:
For what it's worth, may I suggest a "Toyota" 1.3 Yaris my wife has had three (3) of these over the years. Not only are they as safe as houses...........

My wife having been involved in a multi car pile up & walked away unscathed (car a right off ) of the three models she had: 1.3 SR, a 1.3 T-Spirit and a 1.3 T-Sport and she loved them all. They are like a tartis inside, fantastic fuel consumption, cheap servicing & great fun to drive. Cheap insurance & road tax.

She is not so keen on the to-days new shape. More the shape & spec of the 3-4 & 5 years ago. These can be found with a very low miles for between £2K & £4K.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Charles U.K

+1

TR model is great too.

Thanks for the recommendation if you missed it earlier I have settled on a VW Polo 1.9 diesel. Drives very very well and is a beast on the motorway! Tax is a bit of a fcuker and insurance was a bit high only cos I ain't driven in over 3 years. Next year it should go down as I will have a solitary years no-claims!

I got the V5c document in the post, I don't have to send anything to the DVLA do I? There's 4 different processes for buyer/seller, all I know is the seller completed one section and sent it, and I kept another section.

I'm not actually sure I have to complete and send back anything.

Booked my MOT for next week and they said I don't need any documents?! Probably cos its all computerised now.

Was driving around earlier and noticed a slight loss of engine power, which could show signs of a worn clutch? I didn't do anything above 30mph but I kinda felt I had to rev more than usual to move the car faster, maybe its me but I don't need anymore issues before the test next week!

Back
Top Bottom