Car buying

Thought I'd revive this thread as I'm edging nearer to my target fund. Been looking around in the meantime, been offered a VW Polo 1.9 diesel, 125k on the mileage. Wants about 800 for it, good deal?

Seen a few Golf's for only a couple of hundred or so quid more, was mainly looking to hold out for one of those.

p.b said:
Northam Saint said:
Been a good car, touch wood.

Yes, they are. Despite recalling 24 millions cars in the last three years (more than any other manufacturer - although GM are doing their best to overtake!) Toyotas are still the most reliable cars by most surveys.

Back to the original post: I would avoid diesels below 1.6. With small diesels off-boost performance (below 1500-1800rpm) is usually poor and that affects city driving and pulling away.

We haven't had ours recalled. They seem pretty keen on recalls some of them have been on cars way out of warranty.

But, the trusty Toyota is on it's way, we have ordered a brand new Audi A3 Sportback, this week, going up in the motoring world !

If it's not too old and in fair shape sounds like a deal...so be extra vigilant. You can check complete MOT history (with advisories) online.

Its a 2000 make, I took it for a test drive earlier and it drives smooth. Think I'm going to be tempted into going for it, its a mate of mine selling it too so he won't fob me off with dodgy car history!!

We need a 2nd car for the missus now I have the new job. I'll need ours, and she'll need something for school runs, shopping, lunching etc...

Seems the best solution is a supercharged Merc coupe! :huh:

Picking this up in a couple of days.

OrangeSport said:
We need a 2nd car for the missus now I have the new job. I'll need ours, and she'll need something for school runs, shopping, lunching etc...

Seems the best solution is a supercharged Merc coupe! :huh:

Picking this up in a couple of days.

Very nice.

We have been quoted 18 weeks delivery for our new car.

Bit of a bugger as I've had to buy two front tyres for the toyota. Outer edge was two thin and the tread wear bumps were up level. Better safe than sorry. Mind you I had what I think is a good deal. Two Pirelli P6000 for £90 inc fitting etc.

OrangeSport said:
Bet you can't wait...

No. We have had a fair few new cars, Ford, Vauxhall and Toyota, but nothing like an Audi. One thing we are a little apprehensive of is the electronic handbrake. That's just something new which we will get use to though.

Your Merc looks very nice, but will SWMBO have you out there polishing it for her ?

OrangeSport said:
Ha! No, I've told her I'll buy, tax and insure it. She has to look after it. I spend enough time keeping mine nice...

That's very VERY nice.

Afraid to say in our house SWMBO gets the car dirty and I'm the one that has to clean it off. There's a lot of country roads where we live and plenty of tractors leaving mud and other brown stuff everywhere. I did try and tell her that black for our new car was a bad idea!

Ok I'm going for it! VW Polo 1.9 diesel 2000 model. Expecting to get it in the next week or so.

Now for the headache of sorting tax/insurance/breakdown cover out!

Took a quick photo of our current car, on its way first week in May. Bit dirty as we had a long weekend away and I haven't got around to washing it if.

[attachment=13125]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424458613.779029.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424458613.779029.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 51
Re: RE: Car buying

Shemen Zait said:
I drive a 2003 Passat estate with the turbo version of the 1.9 diesel, the engine is simply over engineered. It's so durable I am not surprised they stopped building it.
I have the 2003 130bhp saloon version.
130,000 miles and the engine is still perfect.

Sadly a few niggling faults have started to creep in. Have to have a serious think about whether to spend some money on it or sell it.

I've had it from new and I really don't want to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom