Brush handle build thread. A pictorial

Cricket bats n'all, when I was a lad, before all that polymer coating cobblers.
Only the cheap bats have polymer coatings, although I do tend to put anti-scuff sheets on the face of my bats to protect them. Boiled linseed is best used for turnings. Raw linseed for bats (I used to make cricket bats before I took up woodturning!)

One of the old members on here who died a couple of years ago (Bill. Le Tuft) recommended Liberon Finishing oil on the wooden brushes he turned. It has a hardener and can be re-applied after about 6 hours. I've used it on scales and it can be buffed to a very warm looking semi shine. Bill always reckoned it didn't require much maintenance apart from buffing with a shoe brush every now and again.

Maybe it's me but I don't care for Linseed oil - it may be OK for cricket bats but a brush deserves something a bit better.

Been to cricket once, Lord's Cricket Ground in London, very British, I really enjoyed it :)
I love Lord's although I prefer the Oval (But then I'm a Surrey lad, born and bred!)

@UKRob I'm not a massive fan of linseed oil. Especially with light coloured woods. It darkens them too much. I normally use baby oil for oil finishes, which is essentially mineral oil with a bit of scent but it doesn't darken the wood much, only enhances the colour. That and it leaves a BBS finish, and smells nice!

Resin brush turned tonight. Everything apart from the knot made in my shed

Knot is a 24mm Silvertip

385f2791660a09acd2767b75ed73d30e.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom