Brush handle build thread. A pictorial

Right, my Omega brush got smashed to bits the other night, so I've decided to make a new handle to fit the knot.

I've used a piece of English Oak, so it's similar to my current razor handle.

To start off, I've chucked up a block of Oak, cutting it slightly longer than I need
a5dd8f72ebf1d505fa1d5999a2fbbccd.jpg

I then drill a hole big enough to accept the knot
d638f6fe5ea6dbd9bb8cbb72878afb84.jpg

Once I drill the hole, I'll mount between centres and turn round
14b6a7677d599233c531030df8f3a6ac.jpg

Once rounded, I'll reverse it and shape the handle, then sand it (start at 180 and work to 600 grit)
56eadd4373a419abd31a9ad858d20ea0.jpg

Pop the knot in to double check it fits and looks good
c977a43ba9f3775c6dc431d945f67f8a.jpg

Finally, it's time to seal the wood and varnish. I'll give it a quick wipe with some baby oil to raise the grain and remove any dust leftover from sanding. Then I'll use a couple of coats of sanding sealer. This toughens the wood fibres and makes the wood more accepting to a finish. I then put the first of 2 coats of marine varnish on. This will provide a waterproof, heatproof finish.
474fa59ea802779c847a7e0c4006f775.jpg

I'll update the thread once this process has finished with the next stages.

Another coat of varnish just gone on. Will leave it 24 hours before I test it's waterproofness. From there I'll either add a couple of coats of quick drying, hard wearing lacquer or I'll do another coat of varnish and leave that to dry. Should be using it by Monday at the latest!

Varnish has dried, so I've added a few coats of Melamine lacquer to beef up the waterproofing, then buffed with a 3 stage system
d314a0490f827da7169b08c0d39eb501.jpg

After buffing, I put on a couple of coats of Microcrystalline wax to keep it shiny and protect it further. The knot is then glued in with epoxy resin. Give that 24 hours to dry and it'll be ready to rock!
f3a99c7a5d8d8b5cb09c72b866895d36.jpg

Used this for the first time. Finish has held up under warm water treatment. It will wear away over time, no finish is permanent. However, the longer it lasts, the longer the brush will be good for.

592e35c61f800806fe93db2675bfde25.jpg

9c902e837bb37a1193cba57cc12329c0.jpg

From a hyper critical point of view, I've maybe drilled the hole too deep, as the knot being 22mm diameter is inside a 25mm hole. Which means more brush is hidden inside the body than needs be.

Although, when I start making them properly, I'll be armed with the correct drill bit, so I don't need to drill too deep

In theory, any oil finish would work, given enough coats and enough time to dry. Varnish, CA (super glue) or Melamine/acrylic lacquer finishes are the only sure fire way to seal the wood against moisture ingress. Even then, that will wear off over time.

Have you got any idea on how linseed oil would work as finish on a shaving brush handle?
Linseed Oil is Excellent..Its been used to preserve the Butts & Stocks of Firearms since they were Invented..Its thin enough for wood to absorb it without a slippery finish..Its has a Distinct Smell that isn't Unpleasant..It Repels Water like Nobodies Business but still allows a Sure Grip when Wet & that's Why it was the Oil of Choice for Firearms..Not only that..It kept the Weapon with a Dark Matt Finish that was Compatible with Camouflage & Concealment..It does need to be applied periodically but it never wears off as such because the Wood Soaks it Up..:p

Billy

Last edited:
I have to admire your work aj and as I have found out for myself finishing is not as easy as one would like to think. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more of your projects. :D

I have to admire your work aj and as I have found out for myself finishing is not as easy as one would like to think. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more of your projects. :D
Thanks. I'm going to try and get some more kit made up, a shave bowl, another razor and a brush. Might do some video if I remember to take my camera and tripod!
Once I get it made, I might add it all to the lending pool for some reviews!

Back
Top Bottom