Boots soap bowl

I've got some of the Original bowl soap.

I've only had a few shaves with it, but so far I've been unimpressed. It's reasonable, but there are better soaps (and creams) out there.

I was using the Boots shave stick and that lasted around 5 months. Not bad cushioning. I think the bowl may have the same ingredients, and I 've got an unused one in the stash. But shaving soaps don't always work for me.

I used their stick a few years ago, and the performance to good, but the scent was pretty rank. Smelled like a sweaty a man with BO trying to cover it up with scent rather than having a good wash.

Ian

Fox said:
I too found it to be of poor quality, on the same par as the triple milled hard soaps from the likes of Trumper, Pecksniffs, Crabtree & Evelyn, Penhaligons, Body Shop and Truefitt and Hill. Unfortunately they contract the making of these hard soaps out to the same company, Soapworks in Glasgow. .....................

Happy soap hunting, it sure is fun! :)

Out of interest, how long has the manufacturing of these soaps been contracted to Soapworks?

I don't use many soaps from the people you mention (I prefer Mitchells, L'Occitane and others), but I'm working my way to the end of a bowl of Trumpers Rose, which I bought perhaps 3 years ago. It lathers very well, especially with stiffer boar or horsehair brushes.

I was thinking about renewing it or another "flavour", but perhaps I won't now.

Have bought and used Boot's Shavebowl recently and love the stuff - I have at least three cakes stockpiled. Whips up a really thick, cushioning, stable lather with plenty of glide in no time and for me, outperforms MWF every time. One of my favourite soaps to be honest. Last used it to shape the neckline of the beard I am attempting to grow and 5 seconds of swirling on the cake gave me more than sufficient lather with a Vulfix 'Bodger' to so the small two pass job I needed. However, I manage to a get a great and lasting lather from Trumper's coconut soap which most dislike. I do have the loveliest, softest, Scottish water though.

Lasts ages,quite like it, will buy Wilkinson soap at a push. Thinking of erasmic or proraso for a change, any thoughts
Hello there..i haven't actually used the Boots shaving bowl, so i can't really comment on it..i assume you've tried blooming the soap with hot water for a few minutes before applying to your brush, are you face lathering of mixing it in a bowl?..anyway try blooming the soap it normally works for me.
Erasmic Shave bowl is a excellent choice,wonderful slickness, protection & post shave feeling the sticks arn't too good imo though i got my bowl from Savers, Proraso is a instant yes it's performance slickness and protection ingredients are excellent, i've got Red (sandalwood) & Green (menthol & Eucalyptus) both superb depending on what your scent choice is
either i'd be happy with they also do a White (sensitive skin) which i haven't tried..i'm assuming again you've tried Palmolive Shave sticks?..they are probably one of my favourites not just for the cost either 50p they lather wonderfully & i live in a hard water area which can make lathering hard sometimes..anyway give the boots Shaving bowl a bloom and see if it performs and makes a better lather for you.Regards.:)

I revisited the Boots bowls recently and was pleasantly surprised. I found that building the lather with more water really worked wonders. Had a fantastic shave with lots of glide and cushion. Very smooth with no nicks, burn or irritation. Shame this seems to have been discontinued as it smells great (to me) and is cheap as chips.

I revisited the Boots bowls recently and was pleasantly surprised. I found that building the lather with more water really worked wonders. Had a fantastic shave with lots of glide and cushion. Very smooth with no nicks, burn or irritation. Shame this seems to have been discontinued as it smells great (to me) and is cheap as chips.
Absolutely m8, tried Wilkinson soap puck, no contest,

I do not think or have any evidence that they discontinued this soap, it's not usually available in the small branches but if you are coming across one of the big shops they will usually stock it and the stick. Probably a low volume item so you can also expect them be on and off the shelf.

I do not think or have any evidence that they discontinued this soap, it's not usually available in the small branches but if you are coming across one of the big shops they will usually stock it and the stick. Probably a low volume item so you can also expect them be on and off the shelf.
It does however seem to be out of stock on the Boots website and has been for several day's that I know of , my suspicion's are aroused that it has been discontinued

I too found it to be of poor quality, on the same par as the triple milled hard soaps from the likes of Trumper, Pecksniffs, Crabtree & Evelyn, Penhaligons, Body Shop and Truefitt and Hill. Unfortunately they contract the making of these hard soaps out to the same company, Soapworks in Glasgow.

That said some of the soft soaps/creams by these same companies are of a good quality and do indeed give a lovely shave.

Soft soaps I am sure you will enjoy better and there are some very good ones out there, I personally like Cella and find myself going back to it as a treat every so often. I also like Truefitts creams, Ingrams and of cause my own Super Smooth. Oh and there is the good old 50p Palmolive shave Stick that I will rotate with Godrej, a shave soap from India.

I would use the Boots shave soap as a hand soap, in fact that's what I do with all the dud soaps and am currently using Trunpers Limes in that fashion.

Happy soap hunting, it sure is fun! :)
I found the Trumper's Limes soap to be underwhelming as well. Decent enough if you add KmF Lime shave cream to it.

Reactions: Fox
Back
Top Bottom