Boots soap bowl

Been DE shaving for about 5 weeks now and have enjoyed every moment.

Have tried a few soaps - Palmolive cream, body shop maca root, truefitt and hill no.10. All very good with truefitt being my favourite.

The first I ever purchased was the Boots soap on a black bowl, but until today had not used it.

Not sure if it's just me or my lathering skills but this was bloody terrible. Got a nice enough lather in my cup, but the second it was applied to my face it just disappeared. Plastered it on and did a pass but it was so bad I abandoned it and made a new lather with the Palmolive.

I know it's only cheap rubbish but I won't try again, so if anyone likes it or wants to try it I'll pop it in the post for you.

Will also chuck in 5 gillette 7o'clock yellows if you fancy them (my favourite blade).

To cut postage costs I'll just wrap the soap in cling film and not send the plastic bowl unless you desperately want it :)

I too found it to be of poor quality, on the same par as the triple milled hard soaps from the likes of Trumper, Pecksniffs, Crabtree & Evelyn, Penhaligons, Body Shop and Truefitt and Hill. Unfortunately they contract the making of these hard soaps out to the same company, Soapworks in Glasgow.

That said some of the soft soaps/creams by these same companies are of a good quality and do indeed give a lovely shave.

Soft soaps I am sure you will enjoy better and there are some very good ones out there, I personally like Cella and find myself going back to it as a treat every so often. I also like Truefitts creams, Ingrams and of cause my own Super Smooth. Oh and there is the good old 50p Palmolive shave Stick that I will rotate with Godrej, a shave soap from India.

I would use the Boots shave soap as a hand soap, in fact that's what I do with all the dud soaps and am currently using Trunpers Limes in that fashion.

Happy soap hunting, it sure is fun! :)

flip-68 said:
PM'ed - I love a challenge!

Phil LOL

I don't know what it is, I did a silly thing this morning. I was a big fan of the Trumpers soap before Soapworks got their grubby mits on it. I know how crap it is but still this morning I thought I would have another go and again I paid the price with razor burn to my neck. I also managed to achieve what looked to be great lather before it dissipated.

I really like my Boots Freshwood bowl shaving soap. I've had it for ages - probably three years - and I guess it may have gone the way of Trumpers since then

I've heard good things before now so it will be interesting to see how i fare. Will report back with my findings. Hopefully soapworks haven't ruined it although my experience of the stick suggests otherwise.

Many thanks Greg!

Soap arrived today so i gave it a whirl. I managed to whip up a decent stable lather and got a good 3 pass shave out of it. I really like the scent so i followed up with the a/s and balm. Great stuff :)

I noticed it lacks a bit of protection that other soaps provide. One nick and a bit of post shave redness but otherwise a good performer. The stick i had last year was poor but this bowl soap is alright by me.

Thanks again Greg. More proof of the YMMV I suppose!

flip-68 said:
Soap arrived today so i gave it a whirl. I managed to whip up a decent stable lather and got a good 3 pass shave out of it. I really like the scent so i followed up with the a/s and balm. Great stuff :)

I noticed it lacks a bit of protection that other soaps provide. One nick and a bit of post shave redness but otherwise a good performer. The stick i had last year was poor but this bowl soap is alright by me.

Thanks again Greg. More proof of the YMMV I suppose!
That's interesting Phil, the Boots soap is a triple milled soap right?

I have no idea Darron.

My guess would be no. Triple milled soaps seem to have a greater density than other soaps and this puck in particular. I could be talking out of my hat though.

Anyone else able to confirm?

flip-68 said:
I have no idea Darron.

My guess would be no. Triple milled soaps seem to have a greater density than other soaps and this puck in particular. I could be talking out of my hat though.

Anyone else able to confirm?
I am no expert either but triple milled soaps feel denser then boots bowl. I get great results by face lathering and using either vulfix 404 or semogue boar. But the best thing about this soap is the Smell.

Have been using a bowl of this stuff around four times a week for the last three months (with a Semogue 830) but it doesn't seem to be wearing down at all! Smells great and gives plenty of lather but the glide/cushion isn't as good as, say, Proraso or Tabac for me.

I bought one on Thursday. Lathers well ,had a rough shave with it so far but will try it with some milder razors. Think I lacks a bit of cushion but did get a close shave with it.

Back
Top Bottom