Black pudding

Haggis is fine stuff indeed, but if pressed I'd have to take the black pud. Haven't found one I didn't like, but the stuff they serve up in Ireland (usually with white pudding as well) seems particularly good.

If you mix black pudding up with haggis and breadcrumbs you can make an astonishingly rich and decadent stuffing for a roast bird of some description.

And to refer to an earlier post, yes we British are confusing with our use of the word "pudding". Black pudding, white pudding, steak and kidney pudding, Yorkshire pudding, Christmas pudding, puddings as the course after a main meal etc. You just have to learn to love us as we are.

I saw some TV cooking contestant using black pudding in a meat pie, good idea as blood was used as a thickening/enriching agent, in the past.

Love Haggis and Black Pudding. Can't get enough of the stuff but as previously mentioned there is some really poor Black Pudding out there on supermarket shelves.

When it's cooked it ends up as hard and dry as a biscuit.

I usually order a slice of black pudding along with a steak when Im out.

I remember in one of Rick Stein's shows, I think it was Food Heroes, he goes to a place where this bloke makes his own black puddings. Cue delivery of a large urn full of pig's blood. The bloke dips his hand in and offers it up to Stein for a taste. I can't fully remember Stein's reaction but he nearly gipped.

cheese_dave said:
I remember in one of Rick Stein's shows, I think it was Food Heroes, he goes to a place where this bloke makes his own black puddings. Cue delivery of a large urn full of pig's blood. The bloke dips his hand in and offers it up to Stein for a taste. I can't fully remember Stein's reaction but he nearly gipped.

Yes I remember that. Seeing such a large vat full of blood was a little stomach-churning.

One of my favourites, as has already been said, it isn't a full English without the old BP. Try white pudding as well, it's savoury and a bit milder, being made from sheep instead of from porkers.

Professor Blighty said:
One of my favourites, as has already been said, it isn't a full English without the old BP. Try white pudding as well, it's savoury and a bit milder, being made from sheep instead of from porkers.

Up here it's a black pudding minus the blood mate, with oats/oatmeal - they used to use sheeps brains as the binding agent, but no longer.

cheese_dave said:

That might be the one I posted a link to earlier in this thread.

I think I will take a little trip next week - it's only a mile or so from where I work.

Yeah that's the one, Vinny. I rocked up to the Good Food Show at the NEC a few years back and found myself at that very same black pudding stall.

"Are you the guy who nearly made Rick Stein throw up?"

"No, that was my mate."

Toptastic.

Can't believe Rick Stein slicing his finger on a mandolin isn't on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom