Best burger bar in London

jds said:
Heh, Limey hamburgers. That image makes me smile.

Now then Martin. There's no need for that. From a native of a country which seems to think bread should have the texture of sweet cotton wool I think that's a bit rich.
[/quote]

Strangely enough, my favorite hamburger holder is a dark rye bread, served with thick slices of sweet raw onion. That's how the succulent meat patty is presented at a restaurant/bar I have been going to since the late 50s.

I also like Wonder Bread toasted. Heh, part of my childhood.

About 40 years late-

but there was an enterprising guy who opened a Burger takeaway in Ewell, in a parade of shops opposite the cinema.

He had a charcoal fired grill and made and flipped the best Burgers I have ever had. On a Friday or Saturday evening (after the pubs shut of course) there was always a queue to get in.

When you got in there was a heady smell of BBQ'ing beef and charcoal. Little choice- Burger with onion or not, fries if you were lucky.

But heavens above- the Burgers were chargrilled on the outside and succulent in the centre- fantastic. I think the owner spent all day making the Burgers and opened in the evening to grill and serve them. It has to be said that back then all we had to compare these to was wimpy! BUT these were so good I have tried to find similar and tried to do my own- with little success sadly.

Modern burgers (lower case b) to me are vaguely beef flavoured cardboard.

Oh, the name of this place was 'Stampede'

Just an update i tried guilty burger (more salty than the dead sea) and dirty burger. Dirty burger was good, not keen on their chips but Patty and Bun IMO is still top dog (jose jose burger)

Last week I tried dirty burger and guilty burger (free burger on opening) dirty was ok guilty was shite. Patty & Bunn in particular the jose jose is top dollar.

1974, Great American disaster, close to old Compton Street, never had a burger to match it since.
The glass of iced water when you were first seated was so cold you felt like it was 6% proof.

Dear God I'm getting old.

I have since the start of this thread tried around 35 burger joints! Final conclusion as of current, Patty and bun alongside Hawksmoor serve the best burgers! For a nice burger and fries whilst listening to the opera you cant go wrong with shakeshack in Covent Garden.

Back
Top Bottom