Best burger bar in London

Hi guys I've now heard of several places to try in London (sorry for my ignorance regarding places outside of London as I tend to stick to where I live) including:

Byron
Meat licker
Shake shack
Dirty burger
Five guys
Hawksmoor
Honest burger

I haven't included GBK as I think its pretty poor, same for TGI and Walkabout.

My favourite so far is shake shack in Covent Garden actually had a double cheese with bacon and pickles from their today bloody lovely. Yet to try meatlicker and Hawksmoor. What's your favourite place for burgers from the list or is their any more you could suggest?

Many thanks
Nishy

I think Byron is OK, and I enjoy eating there, but I don't think it's the best. That said, the courgette fries are lovely and the Camden Brewery Byron Pale Ale is fantastic. Honest burger is my personal favourite, but a friend swears by Meat Liquor (http://meatliquor.com/london/) and I want to try it when I'm next in the vicinity.

I also like Red Dog American Sandwiches (http://www.reddogamericansandwiches.co.uk) which is especially good if you've got someone with you who doesn't fancy a burger. The burgers are probably similar quality to Byron burger (so definitely good) but the sandwiches are the differentiator.

Re: RE: Best burger bar in London

ChopperHarris said:
I think Byron is OK, and I enjoy eating there, but I don't think it's the best. That said, the courgette fries are lovely and the Camden Brewery Byron Pale Ale is fantastic. Honest burger is my personal favourite, but a friend swears by Meat Liquor (http://meatliquor.com/london/) and I want to try it when I'm next in the vicinity.

I also like Red Dog American Sandwiches (http://www.reddogamericansandwiches.co.uk) which is especially good if you've got someone with you who doesn't fancy a burger. The burgers are probably similar quality to Byron burger (so definitely good) but the sandwiches are the differentiator.

Is it a citrus hoppy pale ale?

I went to eat at Meatliquor last Friday and can definitely recommend them. They opened one in Brighton last year and have been a few times.
Buffalo Chicken Burger and Hippy Fries washed down with a few ciders...............mmm...........with a portion or two of Buffalo Shrimp for all to share.

Menu is different in Brighton........ http://www.meatliquor.com/brighton/

Nishy said:
Is it a citrus hoppy pale ale?

Yes it is - very American style and really refreshing if that's your thing :D

missingskin said:
I went to eat at Meatliquor last Friday and can definitely recommend them. They opened one in Brighton last year and have been a few times.
Buffalo Chicken Burger and Hippy Fries washed down with a few ciders...............mmm...........with a portion or two of Buffalo Shrimp for all to share.

Menu is different in Brighton........ http://www.meatliquor.com/brighton/

I definitely need to get there - but perhaps I should wait until work takes me to Brighton. The Buffalo Shrimp sound great.

Love most ales, been going to the beer festival in London for last 7 years, I think you need something light and fruity with a heavy burger, meat liquor (sorry about the previous spelling) Sounds like a must honest burger too

I used to work up the road from the main beer fest - great fun. I'm planning to go to the Ealing one when it comes around in the next few weeks. If the weather's good it's a great event (takes place in the park).

I agree with you about the heavy burger / light beer combo. I ate at a BBQ shack in the US that served craft beers alongside the meat. I ended up with a smoky porter and, although the first taste was good, I soon got fed up and was missing any form of contrast. Made it quite a slog in the end.

jodypress said:
Nishy, if you love steak you must try Hawksmoor. Their burgers are superb too, pricey but top notch.

Hi, this is also a must one day, everyone rates their steaks highly. A funny story no insult intended but I had a steak at zaza on Friday it was very average but the couple next to us from France complained about their lamb being tough and salty. The gent asked the waiter if the chef was really Italian or Polish as he'd been travelling around Italy and had never tasted Italian food like this. The waiter responded by saying the chef is Pakistani! Now I know chefs are trained regardless of nationality but I tried the Mrs pasta and it was more masala than Italian made me giggle (the French guy almost choked when hearing the chefs nationality) chef also proceeded to provide a veg with a meat pizza, head of house told the veg they should have ordered a veg pizza to which she said she did and that it had a 'v' on the menu, good dinner though ;)

+1 Hawksmoor chain...I haven't tried the burgers tbf but the same guy runs Turner & George (online butcher) that I occasionally buy from and highly recommend.

antdad said:
+1 Hawksmoor chain...I haven't tried the burgers tbf but the same guy runs Turner & George (online butcher) that I occasionally buy from and highly recommend.
Cheers for the info

Red Dog Saloon is excellent, I have been here a few times with the lads from my work

Great place!! They also do a chilli chicken wing challenge if you're brave enough and trust me they are Fu**ing hot I could only get through 2 :mad:

Went to Five Guys a couple of weeks ago and I had a pretty good burger, much better than a Wetherspoons Gourmet for about £2 difference, fried onions, mushroom, cheese and lettuce added as well, the fries aren't bad either. Best I've had so far.

DPTC said:
Went to Five Guys a couple of weeks ago and I had a pretty good burger, much better than a Wetherspoons Gourmet for about £2 difference, fried onions, mushroom, cheese and lettuce added as well, the fries aren't bad either. Best I've had so far.
I have to sign I found their chips over salted and spiced, the burger also just stopped out had o each more like a cat than a human! (Central London branch) also it was bloody hot downstairs not a good experience

Back
Top Bottom