Barcelona bores?

Canuck said:
Yellow Jim said:
The sending off was a shocking decision, it ruined the game as any sort of meaningful contest.

It was the only desicion the referee could make, the rules are clear: Kick the ball away after play has been stopped, recieve yellow card.

The protests by Van Persie were laughable. He didn't hear? Funny how every other 130+ whistle blows were heard perfectly well. And the Camp Nou isn't exactly at it's noisiest when the visitors are attacking... crap excuse.

I've had enough of claims of referees "ruining" games.. they only apply rules, it's players' idiotic actions that usually ruin games. Van Persie knew play had stopped, it was another stupid, rash moment from another overpaid, immature, impetuous player. They've got to start growing up and taking responsibility for their actions, and stop blaming everyone else.

(And I'm a football fan by the way).

I disagree with you. For a start there is no such rule as if you kick the ball away after play has been stopped you receive a yellow card. What he will have issued the caution for is "delaying the restart of play". Taking a shot on goal less than one second after a whistle has been blown is hardly delaying the restart of play. The player had his back to the referee, was in a noisy environment and the run and shot were all in one concurrent movement. If van Persie had obviously realised that the whistle had gone, delayed and then kicked the ball away as an afterthought then it would have warranted a caution, as it was I don't believe that it did. There was a couple of occasions were other players on both sides tapped the ball away after an infringement was given last night in the full knowledge that the whistle had blown, if that's how the referee wanted to play it then there should have been cautions for everyone of those, so it's the consistency of the how the ref applied the rules that should be focussed on.

And I'm not an Arsenal fan by the way. There is enough play acting, cheating and dangerous play that the referees should be concerned with, rather than a spurious sending off like that one.

We'll agree to disagree then, I'm just sick of hearing that it's all the referee's fault. No-one (including Wenger) seem man enough these days to admit they didn't play well enough. Barca murdered Arsenal last night, sending off or no sending off.

Barcelona are and were by far the better side. I think everybody who watched the game, be they Arsenal fans, Barcelona fans or neutrals would acknowledge that. The better side doesn't always win though, we've seen that enough down the years. It would be nice for once to watch one of these matches without coming away thinking what might have happened bar a contentious refereeing decision.

I honestly was wondering if I was watching Barcelona vs Arsenal or Barcelona vs Mourinho/Capello Team.Wenger tried to copy what Inter the Milan did the last season,and that was a mistake.

I disagree with both of you...YM + Canuck

I don't think the sending off ruined or unduly influenced the outcome of the game and I thought VP's sending off was very harsh.

Alve's made a right meal of going down and holding his face when VP just shoved him out the way when he ran across him and there was less than a second between the whistle being blown and VP shooting for goal. Poor decisions for both.

Can't really argue with around 800 passes to 200 and it would have been a travesty if Bendtner scored putting them through in the dying minutes, Xavi + Iniesta completed more passes between them than the whole of the Arsenal team put together.

Tony, if a sending off didn't influence the outcome of the game, then what exactly is a sending off for? The purpose is to punish the player and team that has infringed the rules to give an advantage to the opposition. Who's to say what the final result would have been. As a spectacle I think it would have been much more watchable 11 v 11. Just my opinion though.

Shakhtar Donetsk? ;)

James, I'm not disagreeing about the purpose of sending players off, I'm just not assuming that because a team has been reduced in numbers it makes the game less of a spectacle and the result would have been that much different. We are just speculating but in this case and with this Barca team I just don't think RvP staying on would have made that much difference, Barca were just far far better not to mention the pen's and chances that weren't given or taken.

Canuck said:
Yellow Jim said:
The sending off was a shocking decision, it ruined the game as any sort of meaningful contest.

It was the only desicion the referee could make, the rules are clear: Kick the ball away after play has been stopped, recieve yellow card.

The protests by Van Persie were laughable. He didn't hear? Funny how every other 130+ whistle blows were heard perfectly well. And the Camp Nou isn't exactly at it's noisiest when the visitors are attacking... crap excuse.

I've had enough of claims of referees "ruining" games.. they only apply rules, it's players' idiotic actions that usually ruin games. Van Persie knew play had stopped, it was another stupid, rash moment from another overpaid, immature, impetuous player. They've got to start growing up and taking responsibility for their actions, and stop blaming everyone else.

(And I'm a football fan by the way).

I would give the 2009 Chelsea v Barcelona game as an example of a ref totally ruining a game, he couldn't have done any worse if he was stood on his hands and watching with his feet to which a vast majority of professionals and pundits were actually implying.

Agreed Barcelona are sublime to watch but, time and time again it has been proved that if you can shut them out of the game they will fall back on the dirty tricks and tactics, which love or hate is a part of the game no matter how good you are.

Arsenal... sorry to far north for me... ;)

Back
Top Bottom