Barcelona bores?

Rant for today.

Am I alone in seeing Barcelona as a frustrating, boring side to watch?

All the short patient passing, ball shielding and hustling may be incredibly skilful but it's so predictable - and boring. Football for me should be about excitement, drama, uncertainty and risk taking. Barcelona may be the best team on the planet, but I'm so glad Arsenal got the better of them last night. Lucky, yes, but at least they were bit more adventurous.

They are not a better side than Barcelona but I'd rather watch Man United, anyday.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boxofficefootball.com/jose-mourinho-thinks-barcelona-are-boring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boxofficefootball.com/jose-m ... re-boring/</a><!-- m -->

Someone agrees!

I didn't watch it, but I know the style of football that you are referring to.

Years ago, Channel 4 used to broadcast live games from Italy on a Sunday afternoon. I tried watching a couple, but found myself drifting off.

Ian

Someone else shares your view here Peter.

http://football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_6757112,00.html

I personally didn't find it boring but I can see how some people might. I think it's to do with the type of football we are used to watching in this country. An end-to-end, high tempo, direct style. This may be part of the reason we haven't been particularly successful on the international stage. Teams are afraid to slow the game down, take their time and just retain possession of the ball waiting for an opportunity. There's always that pressure to get the ball in the box as quickly as possible, you see it from the Premiership down to a park game. It does make for an exciting watch though.

I watched most of the second half.

I do not follow football very much but do pay attention to these very short but intense 'storms' of Barcelona when they are on the offensive (like last night when they were 2-1 down and had to score). I suppose all big teams do that, and to have an opinion I would have to be more familiar with the game style of Man U. etc.

The Greek sportscaster during the match last night was talking about a "fantastic" and "thrilling" match, but I bet we've seen much better than that.

I partly agree with you Peter, when one team dominates possession to such an extent it can be a little wearisome when it doesn't quite translate into goals or chances but would you have felt the same if the score was 3-0 by half time as it probably should have been? Arsenal had nothing to lose so they naturally took more chances in the second half and fortunately it came off.

The best game I've seen this season was the Barca V Madrid 5-0 thrashing, many of the worse games have been at Chelsea. :roll:

It's the English dilemma, fans do prefer a forceful style it just doesn't translate that well onto a European and world stage.

Arsenal have often played the same way. Trying to end up passing it into the goal. I just think in sport you should take risks to win. That means being prepared to lose the ball sometimes and take a chance with a cross or difficult pass.

I don't really think it's about risk Peter at this level it's about style and philosophy of play. In the end a more direct style of play is much easier to defend against and if you don't have the ball you don't get a chance to take risks. But hey, styles makes fights.

Barcelona only bores when they dont score 5 goals after 80 minutes having the ball.Yesterday Arsenal didnt play so well and won the match:thats the essence of football.

But I thought that was one of the most exciting games I had seen for a long time!!!!!! If the English Premier League produced that every night I would consider getting a Sky subscription.

Skilled, thinking players who were well organised, that means both teams.

There was quick yet thoughtful passing and fast movement whilst retaining possession, before sudden explosions into action unless interrupted by crisp, incisive tackles.

The Liverpool/Sparta Prague game bored me to tears.

My disclosure is many nights at Windsor Park lovingly supporting Northern Ireland. A lot of brutal, sometimes functional stuff which produced some very special moments.

philamac said:
The Liverpool/Sparta Prague game bored me to tears

Likewise. As a Liverpool fan I forced myself to stay watching until the end, but by god it was turgid.

Still 0-0 away from home sets it up for the second leg nicely.

I could watch Barcelona play all day. I think that the speed and accuracy in which they ping the ball around is mesmerising. As did the Arsenal players for much of the game! :lol:

They remind me of France circa late 90s. The ball would go back a few yards the forwards a few more yards, with the opposition chasing shadows.

David Villa is an absolute goal machine, and is always good value for a goalscorer bet. Some good pics in the papers with about 5 Arsenal players trying to get the ball from Messi (I would put 1 up, but my connection is rubbish). Messi's goal should have stood.

Great spirit from plucky Arsenal contributed to a good game. Certainly not boring.

Yellow Jim said:
The sending off was a shocking decision, it ruined the game as any sort of meaningful contest.

It was the only desicion the referee could make, the rules are clear: Kick the ball away after play has been stopped, recieve yellow card.

The protests by Van Persie were laughable. He didn't hear? Funny how every other 130+ whistle blows were heard perfectly well. And the Camp Nou isn't exactly at it's noisiest when the visitors are attacking... crap excuse.

I've had enough of claims of referees "ruining" games.. they only apply rules, it's players' idiotic actions that usually ruin games. Van Persie knew play had stopped, it was another stupid, rash moment from another overpaid, immature, impetuous player. They've got to start growing up and taking responsibility for their actions, and stop blaming everyone else.

(And I'm a football fan by the way).

Back
Top Bottom