Barbaros and Rocnel: Adjustable razor

the problems I see are the following,

1. in the handle in the videos you can see a small tab that fits into the screw driver slot on the adjustment screw in the base plate mechanism.
this means that only a handle with that tab will work the adjustment system, or you could use a screw driver and adjust it how you want then toss it together with whatever handle you want.

2. if you have two old push button pens, a pair of heavy shears, and an old worn out razor blade you can turn any 3 or 2 piece into a barbaros style adjustable.

the problems I see are the following,

1. in the handle in the videos you can see a small tab that fits into the screw driver slot on the adjustment screw in the base plate mechanism.
this means that only a handle with that tab will work the adjustment system, or you could use a screw driver and adjust it how you want then toss it together with whatever handle you want.

The screw doesn't have a role in actually setting the adjustment. So a screwdriver wont help in this regard.

30585257386_5c4557f307_z.jpg

Here A Hone handle was used.
If your only aim is to use another handle instead of the original you can use a washer (15mm dia).

Well no offense to the unnamed. in the videos I have seen there is a small tab inside the top of the handle that seems to engage the slot in that screw, and coupled with "only our handle will work the adjuster system", a logical engineer can only assume the handle tab rotates the adjuster screw.

then can you tell me how the handle engages that adjustment screw doo dad if the tab has no relationship with adjustment? just engineer to engineer

If you happen to use a Merkur Progress, it is similar to it.
The screw's job is to keep the spring inside the mechanism in place, otherwise it will stick out of the baseplate along with the pressure plate.
The spring mechanism keeps the handle tight by forcing the topcap upwards. When you turn the handle to a lower setting, the threads pull the topcap back which is stronger than the spring's force. When you loose the handle (to higher levels), the spring forces the topcap, blade and the pressure plate upwards and the razor is kept adjusted. Is that clear ?

its a fancy copy of the PERFECTA razor of Italy. very clear, its what I thought of since if irst saw it to be honest.

Im just hoping you made sure that the entire blade was supported, and that the top plate will not sag in the middle when its tightened down.

The only real engineering curiosity of the design is that you combined Leonard Khunls razor blade support plate from his schick krona adjustable razor, and combined it with the early Gillette patents and the Perfecta razors leaf spring.
I would admit that its not a hard razor style to make, just a hard one to make in a unique way that people wont feel cheated about buying.

its a fancy copy of the PERFECTA razor of Italy. very clear, its what I thought of since if irst saw it to be honest.

Im just hoping you made sure that the entire blade was supported, and that the top plate will not sag in the middle when its tightened down.

The only real engineering curiosity of the design is that you combined Leonard Khunls razor blade support plate from his schick krona adjustable razor, and combined it with the early Gillette patents and the Perfecta razors leaf spring.
I would admit that its not a hard razor style to make, just a hard one to make in a unique way that people wont feel cheated about buying.

Very interesting. I've never heard of the Perfecta razor till I read this. Do you have photos of the razor?

its 1950s I believe, I have only seen two photos that I saved to the hard drive. ill do the best I can to get them up here. They really show the basics of this type of design. and anyone can do it.

Attachments

• img_1511.jpg
    img_1511.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 47
  • img_1512.jpg
    img_1512.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 45
its 1950s I believe, I have only seen two photos that I saved to the hard drive. ill do the best I can to get them up here. They really show the basics of this type of design. and anyone can do it.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the photos. It does look very interesting and unusual.

Its actually a hard to find razor from what I understand, very limited production and no one seems to have one.

The method used by the Perfecta razor, is the oldest and cheapest way to make a razor "adjustable". It was the most used method of making an adjustable razor until 1932. Its all based on the pamphlet Gillette included with razors the famous "to increase cutting aggression of the razor, loosen the handle 1/8 - 1/4 turn."

In 1931 appears the first patent for an adjustable Gillette type razor, not by Gillette, that left the top plate stationary and adjusted the blade gap by lowering and raising the safety bar plate/base plate. Although it was more reliable, it still left the issue of letting the razor blade go loose in the head.

I am having a hard time seeing in those photos, where the screws and springs and adjustment mechanisms are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom