Awe struck by Pils razor

Now that does look like a Pils with knurling on!

But I have decided - an OSS for me! A new batch in June apparently! What good is that to a RAD-man??

More thoughts on why Pils razor were blamed for rusting: unlike the clamping method in popular DE razors, the Pils clamps between two flat plates, bevelled at the edges. The cap has end pieces. Apart from an exceedingly good shave, this results in very large contact areas, top and bottom, between the blade and the razor and thuis contact takes place in an environment that receives very little, if any, air circulation/venting. Add water to those large, unvented contact areas and leave on a bathroom shelf for a length of time and the result must inevitably be corrosion of the cheaper steel - the blade. Because of the design, good hygiene is even more necessary with a Pils razor than any other.

This quote is from an ebay item description about an Ikon razor: "Hand crafted 3 piece Stainless Steel. Will not suffer plate loss, no moving parts to wear or break, will not rust (in normal use & care)." The inference being .......

I've just received a Gillette Old Ball End from an ebay seller - kind enough to send it ready loaded with a Gillette Blue blade! I have no idea how long the blade had been in there or when it was last wet - suffice it to say it had rusted. The rust has stained the chrome plating.

Ring any bells?

Bechet45 said:
I've just received a Gillette Old Ball End from an ebay seller - kind enough to send it ready loaded with a Gillette Blue blade! I have no idea how long the blade had been in there or when it was last wet - suffice it to say it had rusted. The rust has stained the chrome plating.

Ring any bells?

Thought it'd killed your RAD ;)

I hoped it would, but it didn't and hasn't. The Ball End was ordered before the Pils. As was the Slim Adjustable. It's given me the hots for all-stainless razors, is what it's done!

FYI, there is a Pils in the Buy-Sell-Trade on B&B (IIRC, TSD, if not) for $195US, or around $130Sterling. I'm not sure if that would include intl shipping. VAT might eat up the savings, but...

I'm not affiliated, etc., etc..

NotTheStig said:
Nirvana with what blade and soap/cream? Not that I have a Pils, but if (when) I get one I know what combo to try first

Gillette Yellow. Arko.

It was a weekday shave at 4am as I had to get to work early. Shaves at that time of day aren't generally all that, IMO. But this one, even at 4am, was an eye opener.

Watch T'Bay. It's where mine came from.

Back
Top Bottom