Awe struck by Pils razor

Betchet, it would take me about 8 months. I don't smoke, and have only ever been in a bookies once, and only then to get a friend out.
However, I see your point.

I have a cost per use theory. If you buy a razer at £30 and use it 6 times before deciding it's not for you, it's cost you a fiver per shave.
In a year you will use your new toy 150x ?
That's a pound per shave. And you've loved every one of them.

I wasn't trying to dampen your purchase. Good for you, glad you like it. I'm not sure I could spend that much, but if it's a RAD killer, it may be the cheapest and wisest spend this year.

I just sent a PM to Bechet about his new Pils, but want to ask everyone else as well. I made an offer of $150 USD for a used Pils razor. They counter offered $175.

Is it really worth it? My favorite modern razor now is the Futur and I get a great shave. I am wondering if anyone has else has experienced the Pils and should I buy?

I've no idea of fair prices for a razor I hadn't even heard of until reading of Bechet's latest purchase. However, if I was a betting guy I'd wager that this has now lodged in your mind & it ain't gonna stop wriggling around there until you buy or borrow one to try out.

Enjoy ............................ most of us have been there !

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Frankieabbott said:
Use it and enjoy. Maybe dip it into a container of olive oil to reduce the likelihood of rusting....olive oil keeps my steel wok rust free!

Good idea, heat it up and season it it to stop it from rusting.

Well there's the thing, Cruciate - RAD Killer or door to a new range of razors? This morning I tried my new Webber, also all stainless even if matt, and either all stainless razors shave better than chrome and nickel ones or a miracle has happened to my technique over the last three days, commencing suddenly with the first use of an all stainless razor! I spent a part of rainy yesterday investigating Ikon razors with their 80mm handles but Greg says he'll going to get round to making longer ones when he gets the time .... and now Tall Paul speaks of an Ikon Shavemaster, about which I know nada but which sounds like it may be exactly suited to me!

To date, my Pils shave cost is £75 per - and worth every penny! Gawd, I wonder what it is over-all since re-starting DE shaving a couple or three months ago? That figure would be frightening - but obviously still not a RAD Killer!

The worst thing is that I'm getting into straight shaving - and those razors can make the cost of a Pils look like small beer!

However, about that Shavemaster ........

Have a question for you:

I cannot get on with the Futur as I find the head far too big for under the nose and top lip area ( not helped by the fact that I have an inconveniently placed mole there!) and I was wondering how the head of the PILS is compared with the Futur?

spaceryder said:
Have a question for you:

I cannot get on with the Futur as I find the head far too big for under the nose and top lip area ( not helped by the fact that I have an inconveniently placed mole there!) and I was wondering how the head of the PILS is compared with the Futur?

I hadn't actually compared till just now. I had thought the Pils would be too chunky under my nose and was much surprised at how easy it is to use there.

If you'll look at the end elevation of the Futur head, you'll notice the high dome and the considerable vertical distance between the apex and the blade - makes it very difficult to get the blade close up under your nose, even with facial contortions. The Pils cap is very much flatter and the blade closer to the cap, which is cunningly shaped so that, with the handle vertical, the blade fits right into the 'corner' between lip and nose - this is true WTG and ATG and this is a good thing because the ends of the cutting edges of the blade are some distance from the sides of the head (the entire blade except cutting edges are contained within the cap).

The Pils head also lends itself to blade buffing which is very convenient for me and my omni-directional 'tash and may well asssist you cope with your mole.

If that is not helpful, I can paraphrase by saying I find it much easier to shave my 'tash with a Pils than a Futur - easier and closer.

Frankieabbott said:
What are you on about? Where or when did I state that my wok was 'blackened' steel?

If your wok is ordinary carbon steel it really should be seasoned or "blackened", if it's non stick or stainless steel it really shouldn't need a coating of oil to keep it rust free. Oil blackening is a fairly standard heat treatment to prevent corrosion and add a non stick layer to steel, look it up when you're done start a new topic in Food n Drink on the best way to season your wok.

My woks are all sorts of tones of brown, ranging from dark to golden. I associate blackening with burning the oil and would rather avoid it.

Of oiling the Pils, I'm minded to add a drop of something mineral and very light to the swivel, just every now and then, when I lay it up for a while, say.

I have both the Futur and Pils.

To be honest both are big brutes. The Pils is probably slightly easier to shave the top lip and under the nose because the bead profile is flatter on top. However the Pils does have a big overhang on the side and the way the blade is held almost flat in the Pils makes it easier to slice right into the skin if you aren't careful. .

If you are having trouble shaving this area with the Futur then the Pils may be slightly easier but it will not cure the problem. I think you will still find it hard to shave with either razor and need to get a nose bending or funny face shape that works for you with any razor.

I still sometimes miss a little bit of this area, usually when I shave against the clock but just don't let it frustrate you. Lather the area and try again but have a bic handy and use that if you are losing your patience with it. If you keep trying you will only frustrate yourself and make the area red and sore.

It will happen, sooner or later you will find the way to get that annoying bit. Problem is the answer is different for each person. If you are going to buy a Pils then buy one but not because of the bit you are having trouble with.

It is a marvelous razor but like many luxury items it is overpriced and £150 doesn't buy you a razor 15 times as good as a £10 one.

antdad said:
Frankieabbott said:
What are you on about? Where or when did I state that my wok was 'blackened' steel?

If your wok is ordinary carbon steel it really should be seasoned or "blackened", if it's non stick or stainless steel it really shouldn't need a coating of oil to keep it rust free. Oil blackening is a fairly standard heat treatment to prevent corrosion and add a non stick layer to steel, look it up when you're done start a new topic in Food n Drink on the best way to season your wok.

Good idea. New topic started in food and drink section.

I got the name wrong (always do that!)

It's actually called an Ikon Shavecraft.

I don't know if you'd want one if you have a Pils. There was a lot of controversy at the time about how similar to a Pils it was. Certainly the head on mine is almost identical to your Pils.

Pic is below. Greg only did 80 of them.

ikonshavecraft.JPG

Back
Top Bottom