Awe struck by Pils razor

As it comes out of the box, it looks like the piece of superb engineering crasftsmanship that it is. It really is a delight to behold!

Get to the batthroom and load it ready for use - it feels chunky, it looks chunky, I wondered how to find the right balance in my hand, the CG is so close to the head. But lather up, place it carefully aligned under my right sideburn and draw downward - and just relax in the pure pleasure of using a Pils! It does all the work! I could feel it shaving closely from the outset - could have done with two passes instead of three except I didn't want this shave to end so soon! WTG was silk smooth gliding. Ah! and so was XTG! ATG? same as WTG. All silky smooth. Buffing under my nose - not a problem inspite of it's size.

After rinsing off I just stood looking at myself in the mirror and touching my face. Till now I've had BilliardBS shaves but this is BabyBS - feels soft and well, like a baby's bum. Someone spoke the other day about the price men have to pay for a BBS shave, well, with a Pils there is no price to pay (other than the purchase price, anyway). No blood, no soreness, no burn, no anything except soft and smooth.

I am amazed! The designer clearly knew shaving as well as engineering. The flat surfaces he has incorporated ensure the razor floats across the lathered skin, taking the weight of the heavy head. The lightweight handle is all that is required - no need to take weight off, just use it for steering and transporting the razor to the start of the next cut. It's a heavy razor in your hand, but it buffs like a feather.

This razor is a RAD killer! It calls into question my desire to learn straight shaving - you just could not improve on the quality of shave this razor gives (with a new 7 o'clock green, btw). Other than variety, rotation and a change, why on earth would I need any other razor? This one is perfection - including the handle being 5 - 10mm shorter than I thought I wanted.

How to be dumbstruck and can't stop talking all at the same time? Try a Pils razor!

Sorry in advance, Fido - but don't resist this one!

GOLDCREST said:
OH NO....you just would ,wouldn't you...........and just when I thought I had the RAD under control for ever.....

Is it really so good???....Must resist....MUST RESIST

What he said.

Give in! Give in! You know you want one! They will save you a fortune in the long run - RAD Killer in stainless steel. Give in! Give in. You know you deserve one.

Dipesh said:
I always wanted to get one of these but was put off by the rust issues. Does anyone know if this has been sorted?

Far as I know, it never was a problem for people who know how to look after a steel product - not chrome plated, not nickel plated, but steel. Would you just put a straight blade in the cupboard after use and leave it for a week?

It's stainless steel. I could leave a blade in my ikons without having to worry.

I have seen pictures of people posting rust on these razors and at the price they are, this should not happen. Apparently it was down to the grade of steel being used not being up to scratch.

I love the design but wondered if Pils had addressed this issue.

With regards to a straight, you need to hone a straight and so the make up of the steel (carbon or stainless) would be different so looking after it would be totally different.

Two ways we couild know Pils used an inferior grade of steel: 1. they or their supplier told us so or 2. someone sent his razor for analysis. I don't think so!

But hey! I've only read what is on-line - all sorts of rumours and gossip, no facts I could find. I failed to find a photo of the alleged rust - which isn't to say there aren't any.

Whatever, mine is dry and shiny. Hygiene rules OK!

I guess you should be ok if you keep it clean.

I've found a thread with some pics:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49336&sid=ba1d2f867599934a4de60532badadc4c

It's actually those very pictures that stopped me getting one.

Keep me posted please on this as I'd love to have this in my stainless line up.

Hang on. This is the DE that costs around £150 right?

Of course it's a RAD killer. After spending that much it would be an everything killer. Social life, marriage, everything.

And if it rusted I would rage.

Sorry, I bet it's a joy to use. But with so many quality razors at a fifth of the price, I'll pass

Dipesh said:
It's actually those very pictures that stopped me getting one.

The same here mate.

It does make me wonder what grade of stainless steel the PILS is made out of.

I'm not generally a lover of a 2 piece razor but I just love the design of the PILS though.

Thank you, Johnus. Your goodwill is refreshing as always.

I bought mine from Pils, Garbe. They offer a choice of the entire range and I chose one not available in UK. They sent me a freebie shaving soap and a pack of blades I'd never heard of. Now I know the razor with my datum test blade, I'll give one of their's a go.

Today's second shave with the Pils and the same green 7 o'clock was a winner before it started! I could have missed out the usual first pass WTG because the stubble was so reduced after yesterday's shave - but I didn't. The same smooth, effortless shave and technique (if that is the right word for allowing the razor to do everything). Baby'sBS again but I did have to buff here and there as the blade grew draggy. I begin to see a possible fault with this razor - once the novelty of a superb, effortless shave with a beautifully crafted razor wears off, then might it ......? nah! rotation!

Thanks for that link, Dipesh - the first evidence I've seen and it is more than enough to convince me of the cause of the problem, which turns out to be not even rusting but rust staining.

I love the way that SMF's Phil says, effectively, that he uses stainless steel blades so it must be the stainless steel razor that is rusting.

What you see there is classic action between two steel surfaces left in contact with each other through a medium of water and air. Very clearly, the blade surface has rusted and deposited on the razor. It's a pity we can't see the blade.

The photos confirm for me beyond doubt the conclusion reached by others that the problem was one of hygiene - and still is, according to the date of Phil's post! There is nothing to keep you posted on, Dipesh, regarding my Pils rusting. They don't and besides, my standards of razor hygiene would not permit it even if they did (current situation: blade removed and safely disposed after second shave; razor opened and mechanically dried then left to air dry at an angle atop a towel on the towel warmer. Will be stored vertically in a test tube rack with an air gap between cap and head, in a warm, dry environment).

Cruciate, how much do you spend per month on alcohol, tobacco and gambling? At that spend rate, how many months would it take to fund the purchase of a Pils? It would take me an infinite number. If you can find someone to take your bet, put your house on it being a joy to use a Pils razor!

Hell, as long as you enjoy it and can afford it I don't think you've paid too much. I've paid as much for one of my razors.

To quote a good Americanism 'Your mileage may vary', and that's what makes this hobby of ours so interesting.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Pils as my Ikon Shavemaster is, erm, a very good tribute to it. However, if I hadn't got the Ikon I'd seriously consider a Pils.

Back
Top Bottom