Attar/عطار

Oh, wow! Today brought delivery of one really fly vial of attar: Mellifluence Tuberous 0.1 - a rich floral gourmand:Top notes - Lime, Dwarf Juniper; Middle notes- Jasmine, Davana, Rose; Base notes - Cambodi Oud, Cocoa, Castoreum.

"The fragrance is an enchanting, warm blend of rare ingredients, notes of fruits and spices mix with raw animalic scents of nature.
The castoreum and davana gives a sweet intoxicating edge while the cambodi oud and cocoa balance to give a warm comforting and heavy base.

Boy! It's good!

Massive, almost powdery cocoa opening which immediately smoothes to really good chocolate ... think home-tempered. Juniper and rose are first noticeable to my nose, followed quickly by jasmine. The oudh and castoreum is there and works its way through as sweet, aged wood and an almost fig-like pungency coming from the musk. The florals do not stand out individually but meld to link the rich, dark, creamy base to the sharp, spiky top.

Absolutely wonderful!

Hah, ok I admit it Paul,

You are getting to me with this attar crap a little bit by now. Sheeesh, you are relentless.

Other Paul.......you reading this I hope?

Last edited:
Counting up, I have about 30 bottles ... of what I have, there is one attar which is unlike any other and unlike anything I've ever smelled with my western nose: Majmua. Folks wanting to expand their olfactory catalogue should look to Nemat and pick up a bottle of their (Indian) Majmua ... and a bottle of their Jannatul Firdous from the 96 range. The Firdous is a lighter, sweeter version of the heavier Swiss Arabian and Haramain examples that I've tried.

But Majmua ... quite, quite different.

I'm intrigued by the Majmua Paul. Looking on eBay most of the Nemat is coming in from India - do Customs stick their nose in on import?

I think a fellow like you needs a bottle with a good, glass dipstick. Faffing with sub-1ml samples is NOT a lot of fun.

I've not found many, if any, pre-blends that I really like and would want to wear as they are but I do love black musks and I'm getting a thing for oudh. With a good bottle of each, I'm happily putting in extra layers (for me) under my favourite western EDTs. It has also given me a real appreciation for some of the smaller notes - Ralph Lauren Polo, for example, has a wonderful jasmine smell once you know it's there and what it's suppose to smell like.

Hah, ok I admit it Paul,

You are getting to me with this attar crap a little bit by now. Sheeesh, you are relentless.

Other Paul.......you reading this I hope?

I have been deliberately avoiding the thread, Mart! However, my monkey has been put off by the smallness of the vials which is a relief.

That was in my basket while I was browsing for others. Guessed someone from here had swiped it. I've bookmarked a few sellers now.
Would you like to have it, Sir fandango? It arrived this morning and smells exactly as you might expect for three and a half quid off ebay. It came with a Black Musk Supreme sample, which smells differently exactly as you might expect for free off ebay. They smelled much better for a dose of soap and water.

I can't be arsed to prise the stoppers out again to check I'm not wrong.

Vinny has first refusal but anyone else want them - £5 delivered? If nobody wants them, I'll try giving fragrance to a bowl full of Xpec Scentless lather - soap and water.

Today, I've been wearing a really fly concoction of my own blending ...

Surrati Black Musk - a deep, dark, powdery, leathery musk; fruity almost, but not the usual raspberry, it's blackberry.
Al Aneeq White Oud - a mukhallat (blend) of all manner of aromatic fougere ingredients: geranium, lavender, juniper, rosemary; cashmere, cedar, sandalwood; leather, musk, moss, amber, balsamic and spice.
Pure attars of Somalian Rose & Jasmine, the rose a real green, unfloral note, stems mostly; the jasmine, a real masculine white floral, quite dirty really.

Together, it's sublime.

All day I've been getting wafts as the notes do not dissipate like western fragrances, wave upon wave coming back again and again. It's alive! All day, I've been getting wafts of something really familiar ... and tonight it struck me: I've made my own Ralph Lauren Polo meets Lowe Escencia with a touch of Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme; three of my five top five perfumes, Trumper's Eucris and YSL Kouros being the other two. In fact that touch of fruit and spice picks up Trumper's Eucris. It just wants a good punch of civet :D

It's one that I think I'll make up an actual blend of in a bottle rather than putting it together on my wrist.

It's been a Jade East shave tonight ...

Playing off that citrus, spicy, musky pong, today's blend of attars was a triple layer of Surrati Al Khaleej, a citrus aromatic with violet florals and coriander spice; Al Aneeq Oudh Badar, a citrus oudh; Surrati Black Musk, a deep, powdery musk with almost coffee notes to begin with, settling down to a fruit black fruit leather.

Paul kindly sent me two attars to try. Majmua and a fougere. According to my dad Ahsan translates to perfume which figures. The Majmua is an identical copy of the traditional indian sweet paan, mixed with sandalwood and rosewood to my nose (similar to good indian rose incense sticks). These sweeter ahsans make for a good base if using a sweeter scent, I used James Bromley as well as Boss orange both worked well layered on top of Majmua. The fougere is a dead ringer of CK Eternity.

Finally figured out what I like having spoke to a few people. If anyone has memory of an EDT or Attar that has black pepper, hemp and nutmeg present please let me know. Thanks again Paul,most appreciated.

Majmua changes frequently, I find a lot of fragrances combining rose and sanadalwood exhibit this. It is almost a sweet changing to a dirty woody/earthy rose (what I like to call organic dark rose) scent. I would be laughed of the park if I wore this to the fiancees house, the term used I shan't recite but lets just say it would be hazardous. So thats why I have spread a load on and am en route to her house :) I smell like Paan and rose water.

I put some Mondial lavender and lime over the top (just in case), this has a strong animalistic fecal scent which acts strangely with the lavender and the lime I have no idea why that is even included, so i'm smelling curious.

Her worst scent type and faeces, this should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom