Attar/عطار

Just can't bring myself to use my tiny drops of Amouage ...

Best send them to me and I'll tell you how good they all are.

Damn!

I hear you ... what if you really, really like one, use up your tiny vial and then cannot procure any more. There's legs in the old adage, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved.

To be honest, I don't think they will need it. The other samples I've had (Sultan Pasha) have been good for 8 hours.

Fair play, that is a great duration already. Which in your opinion has a heavy peppery, yet clean (similar to guerlain vetiver) or green vetiver? Fresh black peppercorn and vetiver to my nose are a match made in heaven. Has to be freshly milled black peppercorn.

I made the decision earlier this week to use up all the Sultan Pasha ones - a different one for each day. No point saving them for 'best'.

I'll start to give the Amouges a run out at weekends, starting this weekend with the two most famous - Tribute and Homage.
Is this in prep for your wedding MILF hunter profile?

I have been poised over the "buy" button for that Sultan Pasha collection a number of times, but my direction is fast becoming clear and he makes two that sound VERY attractive to me. I know I'd be on those and neglect the rest, which would be a waste ... and waste chews me up.

Talking of "clean", I have one which I hope will arrive today billed as super-animalic with both fecal-fruit and fecal-musk in the notes, musk, civet and castoreum all in there! I do have a benchmark - one of the excretions our pregnant cat gave. I've mentioned another EDT being like Kouros without the cat; this was Kouros without everything but the cat! Beguiling.

Jeez! I'm starting to sound like Crowley.

I'm intrigued, but have no monkey as yet.

What size do these vials come in and how do you use them? Do you put an 'olbas oil' drop of scent somewhere (like on a pulse point), or dilute them with something?

That's the expensive stuff ...

The regular stuff comes in 3, 6 & 12ml generally (12ml = 1 Tola)
Bottles come with either a dipstick or a roller.

Pop onto eBay and look for Al-Afdal, Haramain, Swiss Arabian & Surrati for known good stuff. Avoid those that sound like western frags as this really is NOT about emulating western frags, but a whole different genre of scent.

[QUOTE="pjgh, post: 472562, member: 3693
Talking of "clean", I have one which I hope will arrive today billed as super-animalic with both fecal-fruit and fecal-musk in the notes, musk, civet and castoreum all in there! I do have a benchmark - one of the excretions our pregnant cat gave. I've mentioned another EDT being like Kouros without the cat; this was Kouros without everything but the cat! Beguiling.

Jeez! I'm starting to sound like Crowley.[/QUOTE]

Hah, the civet reference made me smile at the idea of using my vintage 1992 Ungaro II EdT in the dark bottle with orange cap. It's one of the notes that comes through strongest on the dry down especially. Some amazing base notes to that frag. Opens up with powder....lots of that just to start with and then things go a little nuts. The civet is one of those things that you sorta wanna smell but not quite sure why. In another post I notice many cats following me

[QUOTE="pjgh, post: 472562, member: 3693

Jeez! I'm starting to sound like Crowley.[/QUOTE]

Hah, the civet reference made me smile at the idea of using my vintage 1992 Ungaro II EdT in the dark bottle with orange cap. It's one of the notes that comes through strongest on the dry down especially. Some amazing base notes to that frag. Opens up with powder....lots of that just to start with and then things go a little nuts. The civet is one of those things that you sorta wanna smell but not quite sure why. In another post I mentioned noticing many cats following me after a spritz or two. This juice is strong and lasts a good while with some warm amber in the mix.

Paul, this is just what you wanna try! Also, I have a few other pretty intense vintage frags you might like, such as the Jean Desprez 'Versaille pour homme' EdT. Jeez Louise this stuff is powerful and nuts from the get go, with the best sophisticated drydown I have huffed to date. Not a silly scent. You should read about that one.....right up your alley.

Send me a message and we will fix this bit of sadness on your end right up,

Martin

Last edited:
Mart, stop it!

BTW - I have my first Serge Lutens frag!

Ah - you were speaking to the other Paul. D'oh!

Blow me down matey,

I am gratified to have the extra catfishin success that your interest shows. Thanks Paul! Man, I haven't even started on vintage frags and reformulations. Is that "Stop it" of yours actually a cry for help from 'something' new to be let out? Son of Silversides?

We can get there together buddy,

Mart

Oh, wow! Today brought delivery of one really fly vial of attar: Mellifluence Tuberous 0.1 - a rich floral gourmand:Top notes - Lime, Dwarf Juniper; Middle notes- Jasmine, Davana, Rose; Base notes - Cambodi Oud, Cocoa, Castoreum.

You can find him on eBay as Mellifluence or on the web as www.mellifluencehoney.com - he's really big on the religious healing of honey and as a sideline works out his joy of perfume as spiritual healing, using natural ingredients where possible.

Here's the rest of the blurb:

"The fragrance is an enchanting, warm blend of rare ingredients, notes of fruits and spices mix with raw animalic scents of nature.
The castoreum and davana gives a sweet intoxicating edge while the cambodi oud and cocoa balance to give a warm comforting and heavy base.

This parfum will age well due to the large amount of oud in as well as castoreum.

I strive to create scents from nature only and zero synthetics, no artificial fixatives or aroma chemicals here.

These perfumes are made with tradition in mind, all perfume used to be natural hundreds of years ago, now almost no perfume is natural and this affects our health in a negative manner, perfume is a form of medicine, so to synthesize chemicals to mimic the plants makes it a detrement to health instead of a healing for the body and mind, many synthesized chemicals have been shown to have carcinogenic activity and the ability to disrupt hormones.

These are made by myself in small limited batches, each new batch may vary small amounts due to slight variations in amounts of ingredients and age of oils. Many natural oils such as agarwood, civet, musk and castoreum get better with age and their scent changes.

This is part of a collection of attar / parfum that represent the theme of nature, from the forest floor to the tree tops.
This particular fragrance represents the roots of the tree."

Boy! It's good!

Massive, almost powdery cocoa opening which immediately smoothes to really good chocolate ... think home-tempered. Juniper and rose are first noticeable to my nose, followed quickly by jasmine. The oudh and castoreum is there and works its way through as sweet, aged wood and an almost fig-like pungency coming from the musk. The florals do not stand out individually but meld to link the rich, dark, creamy base to the sharp, spiky top.

Absolutely wonderful!

I'm wearing it ... and echoes of first application keep coming back. I also have a dot on a test card which I keep smelling. It is marvellous! I do hope you guys enjoy it. If you didn't manage to snag one Vinnie, give the fellow a tap and see if he'll sort you out. He sent me a 0.3ml of Sumatran Vetiver as well, gratis, which is very nice and will drop in somewhere in my daily blends.

Right! Inspired to press the button on Caffe Ambre (Sultan Pasha) as a counterpoint.

Back
Top Bottom