Attar/عطار

After a holiday in Tunisia back in April I passed several Attar shops and after reading some of the feedback being left on this post I wished I had visited them now. They seemed to push more high street "replicas" in the windows to entice tourists but held the more localised traditional Arabic scents inside. And if I remember correctly they were so so cheap. Equivalent to about 30p for a 6ml roll on.

I think the forum has had a good burp and things seem back to normal ...

Yeah, there is a certain familiarity with western names at the cheaper end. Dakar is ... well, Drakkar Noir; Lord most certainly three parts Kouros to one part Ted Lapidus. Both super! I'll certainly enjoy those as a subtle alternative to my growing collection of Aromatic Fougeres.

... also, a vial of Swiss Arabian Black Afgano. Wo-ee! That's one that grows and grows ... and grows!

Black Afgano by Swiss Arabian is a strong smoke and incense fragrance that is not too overpowering.

Fragrance notes: Balsamic, Smoky, Woody, Oud, Green, Tobacco

Smoke, certainly. Sweet? Is that balsamic. Wood is there, but it is most definitely more green, like live wood than cut/sawn.Tobacco, well yes, maybe ... maybe it's just wrapped up in the smoke at the moment. Oh, got it ... cannabis :D

"Dark and dangerous!" ... it certainly is. I feel like a Hashashin!

I'm in trouble ...

I've now amassed quite an array of black musks from various houses, regions and ages. To me, these are like single malts, all the same, but oh so different. I'm finding myself looking at silly prices for these dark blends ... like £50+ for literally a ml or two. Addictive!

Popping a drop of black musk under other perfumes really beefs 'em up ... case in point, I tried Swiss Arabian Jannatul Naeem, a soapy, green scent not dissimilar to Pino Silvestre, which grows big balls and becomes quite a different animal with a drop of black musk underneath, more like Polo, but more animalic and primal (primal as in simplified yet in no way unsophisticated). Wearing Polo today, it's awakened this little experiment that I tried on my wrist a couple of days ago.

These oils are proper potent! Longevity is measured in days.

I've 'ouded' a fair few fragrances, florida water and benjamins bay rum are fantastic when layered over as is Mr Taylors.

My Tuscan leather from Amjal has been in my main rotation I do like it but its dry down is starting to portray that 'sweet/syrup' note which is annoying. Strangely the Mrs rubbed some on her hand (perfume oil) and it was earthy for the entire day. Skin skin skin biggest variable!

Just a random addition, but if you attribute scent to taste and vice versa, an Italian beer called Nora (my favourite beer) is a woody spicy aroma much like clean vetiver with a nutty almost oud/woody taste i kid you not!

Nora. Noted, with thanks. Confirm: Amjal or Ajmal? Ajmal, I can find all over the place but I don't think it's what you're talking about.

Right! I'm really "getting" this now. There is a joy to layering and to spicing up western sprays. I read a wonderful introduction to middle-eastern perfume where the author spoke of sitting in a mall in Dubai and almost seeing signature scents as people walked by - all completely different, yet clearly of the same family: layered oils. Furthermore, incense bathed hair and clothes added further depth and more characters to the story.

Layering ...

I am so glad I didn't just jump in and try to find western perfume alternatives, although I suppose I did with Lord/Kouros and Dakar/Drakkar Noir but that was just to see; glad, also, that I didn't just go for pre-blended perfumes although I will. With a wide sweep across black musks, white musks, ouds, amber scents, patchouli, rose, saffron and other florals, I quickly found I that I absolutely LOVE black musks and can really feel the character of each (likened above to single malt whisky) and love how that ingredient completely changes the character of ludicrously floral rose, be it Ottaman, Damask or Taifi, melllows with oudh to let out the vanilla, coffee and caramel notes, and puts some proper animalic notes into already strong, but could be stronger scents. Ha! Black musk under Pino Silvestre turns it into something even Polo will shy away from!

Sultan Pasha's Âme Sombre and Caffè Ambre Noir really are calling, though ...

Apologies Paul it is Ajmal, you can tell this is a mid ranged oil (Mrs to be bought it as a gift so no idea on price I couldnt find it listed) in that it has great longevity but after 6 hours a sweetened tone is prominent when worn on my skin.

With regards to layering one to try is, kiehls musk shower gel, followed by some Tuscan Leather from the above applied to pressure points (oud oil), followed by kiehls musk edt to back of neck or love potion as it's called. Finally some bodyshop EDT musk sport.

You will be projecting further than a buffet and picolax.

Has anyone tried layering Guerlain Vetiver with specific oud oils?

Kiehl's Musk is on the list and most definitely rising ... EDT and shower gel. Yes, I've read it's a superb base for all manner of things but not considered the effect of carrying over a scent from the shower as a further facet of the overall effect. Total curveball, but I'm looking at GFT's Eucris in quite a different way in light of this ... it's actually quite "oriental". That, and it was pointed out to me that they do actually do a bath/shower gel in Eucris, something which I'd commented would be a killer product for me.

Yh Eucris has a great scent profile, if you dont like johnsons baby bath avoid the kiehls as its similar just stronger and obviously musky. Shower/bath soaps add a nice base lager if you like as it covers most the body. Armani code shower gel and shampoo are rather nice.

Bugger!

I picked up a couple of classic blends from Swiss Arabian/Givaudan: Jannetul Firdous & Jannetul Naeem. The other day I found that if the bottle has been laid flat, when you open it an airlock of about a capful (a lot in an 8ml bottle) will burp out and you'll lose it all down the sides. This happened and I was able to clear it up without much of an issue but my Naeen is now a mere 2/3 full. This happened again a couple of hours ago with Firdous but this time it was in my hands, not being opened on a flat surface ... on my hands, both of 'em, down one arm. Wiped off and washed heavily with soap, with more soap with olive oil and then soap, with Selin, with Selin, soap and Fairy Liquid ... and all I can still smell is Firdous. It's a nice scent, but not in that quantity ... a bit like falling into a vat of chocolate, never to enjoy chocolate again.

Bugger!

In other news, I also got the Al Haramain versions in today, which make interesting comparisons. The Al Haramain Naeem is pure powdery chypre, whereas the Givaudan is earthy woody aromatic, quite soapy and great on top of a black musk. Likewise, Al Haramain's Firdous is a sweeter blend, less in your face ... although after the mishap earlier, I've had enough of the Givaudan in my face.

Puh!

Back
Top Bottom