Closed ATT R-2 Open Comb Pass Around and Review

Hopefully you'll find it a lot more comfortable than the R-1. I know its not in the R41 scale of aggressiveness but I totally understand what you mean about the discomfort.
I went through a period last year when I was ready to ditch the R altogether as I just couldn't seem to get a comfortable shave with it. Considering I'd been using it for a long time with no problems, I was getting very frustrated and ready to ditch it. Then it clicked, it was the hot weather :blush:

I also find that if my growth is over 24hrs I'm better off using the H rather than the R . I'm back to using the H most days and the R every now and then just to give the skin a rest.

Now, I've just had my first shave with the H-2 and all I will say is this :icon_biggrin:

Dobbo25 said:
In my opinion the R-2 plate sits between the M-1/ R-1 in terms of aggressiveness and a gives a much smoother shave.
If you found the R-1 causing you irritation then I'd say the R-2 would definitely be a better option for you.
+1
I found the R1 plate to be too aggressive for me but the R2 was perfect this morning. I also found the M1 plate to be between my EJ DE89 head and Weber head in terms of aggressiveness.
I'll be trying different blades this week to see how it copes.

Mr_Smartepants said:
Dobbo25 said:
In my opinion the R-2 plate sits between the M-1/ R-1 in terms of aggressiveness and a gives a much smoother shave.
If you found the R-1 causing you irritation then I'd say the R-2 would definitely be a better option for you.
+1
I found the R1 plate to be too aggressive for me but the R2 was perfect this morning. I also found the M1 plate to be between my EJ DE89 head and Weber head in terms of aggressiveness.

Well, sounds like the R2 is for me!

My R1 arrives Friday, I will pop the R1 &M1 of yours in the post on Friday Al, PM me if there is anything you need, want or are curious about in the soap, cream or blade dept (or razor for that matter) don't be shy, if you are you will get a package of shite! :icon_razz:

Dobbo and Smarty, thanks very much for the input. Much appreciated.

Wonder if Connaught are planning to stock individual plates?

Hairsuite said:
Mr_Smartepants said:
Dobbo25 said:
+1

Well, sounds like the R2 is for me!

My R1 arrives Friday, I will pop the R1 &M1 of yours in the post on Friday Al, PM me if there is anything you need, want or are curious about in the soap, cream or blade dept (or razor for that matter) don't be shy, if you are you will get a package of shite! :icon_razz:

Dobbo and Smarty, thanks very much for the input. Much appreciated.

Wonder if Connaught are planning to stock individual plates?

Re-: Connaught or anyone stocking plates?

I emailed Stan a while back and he said due to cost etc he had no plans to sell individual plates in the UK, only complete razors. Whether Stan has changed his mind or if anyone can update anything Stan said to me a month ago, let us know.
As for Al, just send him a load of shite :icon_razz:

I will be selling my R-2 plate, unused, at what it cost me to get it here. Unfortunately my mates at HMRC and RM :icon_evil: had their pound of flesh so I cant let it go any cheaper. I'm just waiting for someone to get back to me before I BST it, or if anyone is genuinely interested from this thread, pm me and I'll give you the price and the breakdown of the cost.

It's likely that I've been enabled on the ATT set and I'll be buying direct from Stan sometime in the new year (Mar/Apr?). I'm thinking a Kronos handle with R2, M2, and M1 plates.
I'll be sure to advertise before I order in case others want to jump in to save on shipping. ;)
*Edit, it's been 14 hours since I've shaved this morning and I still have what could tentatively be called a BBS but nudging towards DFS. Amazing.
Though that means I won't have enough growth to shave tomorrow. :(

Used a Derby blade today for a 'torture' test. ;)
Not too bad, 2-pass BBS with only light irritation. Definitely not as smooth/sharp as the GSB but still nice. For me, normally the 2nd shave with the Derby is the best, but I'll be using a PSI tomorrow.

Mr_Smartepants said:
Used a Derby blade today for a 'torture' test. ;)
Not too bad, 2-pass BBS with only light irritation. Definitely not as smooth/sharp as the GSB but still nice. For me, normally the 2nd shave with the Derby is the best, but I'll be using a PSI tomorrow.

The slight irritation down to the Derby? I have just purchased myself an R2 plate.

Hopefully it will be here on Friday, with my R1 plate and top cap. This year of no purchases has got off to a bad start already!

1000 blades and an ATT with spare plate..........

Yes, I attribute the irritation to the Derby. It's the only thing I changed since yesterday.
I'm going to be using the same setup for each day with the exception of the blades (to eliminate as many variables as possible.)
So I'll be using the same prep/cream/brush throughout this week to see how the R2 plate reacts with my assortment of blades.

OK, I used the PolSilver Super Iridium this morning and got a lovely 2-pass BBS in return. Only one weeper.
I love how this head allows you to feel the blade edge more and rewards when a smooth blade is used.
I think I may have found a limitation with this razor though. The area immediately below my nose (in that 90deg area) is developing a razor burn.
My SB razors allow me to sort of mash my nose out of the way to get that tricky area but this OC head does not (safely). The exposed edge is hitting my skin at the wrong angle there. I guess I need to adapt my technique for this head.

Mr_Smartepants said:
OK, I used the PolSilver Super Iridium this morning and got a lovely 2-pass BBS in return. Only one weeper.
I love how this head allows you to feel the blade edge more and rewards when a smooth blade is used.
I think I may have found a limitation with this razor though. The area immediately below my nose (in that 90deg area) is developing a razor burn.
My SB razors allow me to sort of mash my nose out of the way to get that tricky area but this OC head does not (safely). The exposed edge is hitting my skin at the wrong angle there. I guess I need to adapt my technique for this head.

I rarely do atg on top lip especially on a work day, one slip and your nose is gone

Indeed! I never go ATG on the top lip either. I'm talking about a dead-center N-S pass from the nose to the top lip. That 90-deg turn is a bugger!
Anyway, I have my last swipe with this R2 plate tomorrow, so I'll clean it up and send it off to fly3k (Steve) and the top plate back to its owner Tony.
I think I'm enabled now.

Re: RE: ATT R-2 Open Comb Pass Around and Review

Mr_Smartepants said:
Indeed! I never go ATG on the top lip either. I'm talking about a dead-center N-S pass from the nose to the top lip. That 90-deg turn is a bugger!
Anyway, I have my last swipe with this R2 plate tomorrow, so I'll clean it up and send it off to fly3k (Steve) and the top plate back to its owner Tony.
I think I'm enabled now.

Have you tried going from the edge of you mouth to the centre I normally do this on the second pass and south to north on the last pass then use the corner of the head to do just below the nostrils.

Not that I have an ATT, but I go from nose-to-ear on the top lip with a careful sweep S-N directly under the nose. That works for most razors (and the Feather) but sometimes I push for an ear-to-nose pass there.

Used an R2 today for the first time. Great comfortable DFS, 3 pass no touch ups with new GSB blade.

Maybe rushed a bit, but definitely smoother (for me) than an R1 plate. And much closer than the M1.

The R2 will get used for the next week, so I can get the hang of the angle. The open comb left lather in some places, stripes of lather in others and none at all in others. My angle is not yet dialled in...

Al, you are a top class enabler Sir!

Back
Top Bottom