Closed ATT R-2 Open Comb Pass Around and Review

This is now on route to dobbo

What a great piece of kit, it looks stunning and it performs just as good as the r-1 but so much smoother.

If you previously found your r-1 to aggressive this may be better for you.

I normally use the h plate daily with the r or m now and again to give the face a rest. I suspect both r-2 and h-2 could be used daily with no issues.

I would imagine h-2 be a smoother and easier to use than it's h-1 counterpart

H-2 will be first purchase of 2014

On its way to Tonyspurs.

Dobbo25 said:
On its way to Tonyspurs.

Just like to say thanks to Stan for supplying the plate and Al for organizing it.

I used a combination of Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue blades, GFT Cream, Safari, Figaro and Valobra soaps.

After using the plate four times this is my opinion.

The R-2 plate compared to the R-1 definitely shaves a lot smoother and for me, is less aggressive than the R-1. Shaving against the grain on the neck was also a lot easier when using the R-2.

The problem for me was I found myself having to try too hard to get a BBS, especially on the cheek area and for me, it was a slight disappointment.
I was hoping that the shave would have the same aggression but be slightly smoother than the R-1.

For some of you that found the R-1 to harsh then I think this will be a better option for you but for me it was too mild.

Like I said, this is only my opinion and no doubt some of you will disagree but to be honest, I wish I hadn't ordered one.

On its way to Erik (Mr Smartepants)

Ended up having 2 shaves using the R2 Xmas eve & Boxing Day ( far to hungover Xmas Day to shave:icon_razz:)

I haven't got an R1 to compare it against but have the H1 which is more aggressive and took me a while to get used to using it, the H1 can give me a near bbs with one pass on a 2 day growth but not very good for me as an every day shaver, now the R2 for me would be very good as a daily shaver, first shave I used a gillette silver blue blade with Valobra soap, did 3 passes no nicks or irritation used a heavier touch than I do with the H1 2nd shave used an Astra and Old Spice soap,again 3 passes but did experience a few nicks this time probably my technique though, as regards to the open comb as I don't have the R1 I can only compare it with my ikon OC & CC where the CC is more aggressive than the OC, so for me I would buy the OC R2, in my opinion 1 handle H plate & an R plate and you wouldn't need another razor
Thanks to Al for sorting this out and enabling me again!!!:icon_razz:

I was apprehensive on trying this new OC head from ATT but halfway through the 1st pass my fears disappeared. This is an awesome razor! Great blade feedback and BBS in 2 passes with zero irritation and only a single scare.
Don't underestimate the blade exposure! A lapse of concentration caused me to remove a 1mm x 1mm chunk of skin from my upper lip. Luckily my Secret Santa sent me a tube of Proraso styptic gel which stopped the bleeding on contact.
So far I'm very impressed with this razor.

Mr_Smartepants said:
I was apprehensive on trying this new OC head from ATT but halfway through the 1st pass my fears disappeared. This is an awesome razor! Great blade feedback and BBS in 2 passes with zero irritation and only a single scare.
Don't underestimate the blade exposure! A lapse of concentration caused me to remove a 1mm x 1mm chunk of skin from my upper lip. Luckily my Secret Santa sent me a tube of Proraso styptic gel which stopped the bleeding on contact.

Hi there,

I am on the list for the R2, Al kindly leant me the M1 and R1 over Christmas. I have since organised the purchase of the R1 top cap and base plate from another forum member.

I find the M1 far too mild for a good BBS/DFS without multiple passes, and find the R1 is a great shave, but I find it causes irritation if used as a daily shave. I am happy with the R1 as a going out, weekend razor but wondered how you view the R2?

Al and others have mentioned it is as good a shave as the R1, but smoother. I guess a base plate somewhere between the M1 and R1 would be a perfect daily shaver for me. How do you think the R2 compares?

I used the M1 and R1 with Polsilver, Silver Blue, Rapira and Med preps.

As an aside, the Gel you used is good, when it runs out you can buy Witch Hazel gel in Boots for fraction of the cost of Proraso, though it is not scented.... Happy New Year when it arrives.....

Hairsuite said:
Mr_Smartepants said:

Hi there,

I am on the list for the R2, Al kindly leant me the M1 and R1 over Christmas. I have since organised the purchase of the R1 top cap and base plate from another forum member.

I find the M1 far too mild for a good BBS/DFS without multiple passes, and find the R1 is a great shave, but I find it causes irritation if used as a daily shave. I am happy with the R1 as a going out, weekend razor but wondered how you view the R2?

Al and others have mentioned it is as good a shave as the R1, but smoother. I guess a base plate somewhere between the M1 and R1 would be a perfect daily shaver for me. How do you think the R2 compares?

As an aside, the Gel you used is good, when it runs out you can buy Witch Hazel gel in Boots for fraction of the cost of Proraso, though it is not scented.... Happy New Year when it arrives.....

In my opinion the R-2 plate sits between the M-1/ R-1 in terms of aggressiveness and a gives a much smoother shave.
If you found the R-1 causing you irritation then I'd say the R-2 would definitely be a better option for you. Unfortunately I just found it too mild for me.

Dobbo25 said:
Hairsuite said:
Mr_Smartepants said:

Hi there,

In my opinion the R-2 plate sits between the M-1/ R-1 in terms of aggressiveness and a gives a much smoother shave.
If you found the R-1 causing you irritation then I'd say the R-2 would definitely be a better option for you. Unfortunately I just found it too mild for me.

That sounds extremely promising then.. I know everyone obviously finds things feel different for them (YMMV) but it sounds like the R2 will suit me just fine.

The R1 is not R41 aggressive, but it is definitely causing very slight discomfort, irritation may be a bit strong a word. I guess I would say 2 or 3 days use requires a rest.

I get a bit of sting from the A/S, which I don't feel with Digress on 3.5.

Looking forward to the R2 plate now.

Thanks for the reply..

Back
Top Bottom