Artisan soaps vs mass produced

P&B have become fast favourites for me and have several pots - Denali is perhaps my favourite of ALL soaps/creams/croaps. Not tried any OSP yet, but no doubt I will!
Good, as I said it's been a while since your posting so I am pleased you can now see the value in artisan soaps like P&B, I think it would have been nice seeing as you started the post to let everyone know how your your opinion on the value of these soaps has changed because it was unclear to me what your view was now even though I read right through to the end of the thread which is why I made the reply to your question. Please don't see this as being argumentative I was simply replying to your orignal question.

Good, as I said it's been a while since your posting so I am pleased you can now see the value in artisan soaps like P&B, I think it would have been nice seeing as you started the post to let everyone know how your your opinion on the value of these soaps has changed because it was unclear to me what your view was now even though I read right through to the end of the thread which is why I made the reply to your question. Please don't see this as being argumentative I was simply replying to your orignal question.

Paul, your views are always welcome and I never find you argumentative;). I would point out, however, that I started my original post with...(and I quote):
"Don't get me wrong here...I'm not taking a particular viewpoint, but I am interested in gauging people's views generally."
That was my view at the time and remains my view now...I love Denali by P&B, which is what I would call an artisan soap (or what they call a croap), i.e. small scale production. But I also love Proraso white, green, red etc...which I call more mass market, and Cella! The latter are far less expensive, but do a great job. I'm personally very happy to pay a the price for P&B, but I was interested to gather other people's views. In other words...I could always see the value of artisan soaps (for me personally)...I wanted to know how others saw them. I do think, though, that some artisan products simply are not worth the cost of the paper on their labels! (I will mention no names):):)

Paul, your views are always welcome and I never find you argumentative;). I would point out, however, that I started my original post with...(and I quote):
"Don't get me wrong here...I'm not taking a particular viewpoint, but I am interested in gauging people's views generally."
That was my view at the time ani id remains my view now...I love Denali by P&B, which is what I would call an artisan soap (or what they call a croap), i.e. small scale production. But I also love Proraso white, green, red etc...which I call more mass market, and Cella! The latter are far less expensive, but do a great job. I'm personally very happy to pay a the price for P&B, but I was interested to gather other people's views. In other words...I could always see the value of artisan soaps (for me personally)...I wanted to know how others saw them. I do think, though, that some artisan products simply are not worth the cost of the paper on their labels! (I will mention no names):):)
I would ask you to look back at your third paragraph and quote that back seeing as you are going to throw quotes about.

This Thread has Went Mental on a Few Occasions..Some So Called Artisan Soaps are Crap the Same as So Called Mass Production Soaps..Some So Called Mass Production Soaps have Less of a Work Force than Some Artisan Soap Makers..Cella for One..This Artisan Title gets Banded about these Days like Confetti..:D

Billy

People often change their mind's about things, I know I do, but when I have publicly stated something and then change my mind I will tell everyone I've now got a different options and for what reasons.

I would ask you to look back at your third paragraph and quote that back seeing as you are going to throw quotes about.

Do you mean this one, Paul:

"In use, I have to admit, I find it difficult often to really understand the qualitative difference between artisan and mass produced."

Then I stand by that fully...I don't believe 'artisan' soaps in general terms deserve any greater price for their quality, than mass produced ones. Tomorrow, I might try a mass produced and far cheaper soap than P&B Denali, for example, and find is even better. My point is that the price for artisan soaps is mostly related to their smaller scale production rather than any inherent 'quality'. One person will find an artisan soap best for them, while another will prefer a more generally available one suits them more. The price is based on largely production costs, plus the notion that often people actually like to pay a little more for certain products because they feel that they are getting 'quality'. It's a well evidenced concept in economics (I'm sorry to say I'm an economist by training!).

My own bottom line is this: if I find a shaving soap that performs better for me than any other, I will happily pay a higher price for it. If it's at a relatively cheaper price then I will by a larger stock of it. It doesn't matter if it's 'artisan' or mass produced. At the moment, P&B's Denali is my favourite, but I have a much bigger stock of Prorasso!

People often change their mind's about things, I know I do, but when I have publicly stated something and then change my mind I will tell everyone I've now got a different options and for what reasons.
Paul...I haven't changed my mind about anything...if anything I've posted suggests that then it's probably a fault with my compositional skills:oops:

Do you mean this one, Paul:

"In use, I have to admit, I find it difficult often to really understand the qualitative difference between artisan and mass produced."

Then I stand by that fully...I don't believe 'artisan' soaps in general terms deserve any greater price for their quality, than mass produced ones. Tomorrow, I might try a mass produced and far cheaper soap than P&B Denali, for example, and find is even better. My point is that the price for artisan soaps is mostly related to their smaller scale production rather than any inherent 'quality'. One person will find an artisan soap best for them, while another will prefer a more generally available one suits them more. The price is based on largely production costs, plus the notion that often people actually like to pay a little more for certain products because they feel that they are getting 'quality'. It's a well evidenced concept in economics (I'm sorry to say I'm an economist by training!).

My own bottom line is this: if I find a shaving soap that performs better for me than any other, I will happily pay a higher price for it. If it's at a relatively cheaper price then I will by a larger stock of it. It doesn't matter if it's 'artisan' or mass produced. At the moment, P&B's Denali is my favourite, but I have a much bigger stock of Prorasso!
An economist (by training) go figure!

An engineer, a physicist and an economist stranded on a desert island with a can of beans between them:
Engineer: we could make a blade out of a conch shell to cut off the lid!
Physicist: if we rub the base of the can on a rock the friction will create heat that will melt the seal and the base will come loose!
Economist: Let's assume we had a can opener...er....mmm...

An engineer, a physicist and an economist stranded on a desert island with a can of beans between them:
Engineer: we could make a blade out of a conch shell to cut off the lid!
Physicist: if we rub the base of the can on a rock the friction will create heat that will melt the seal and the base will come loose!
Economist: Let's assume we had a can opener...er....mmm...
Interesting One that on the Can Opener..I Came to the Conclusion a Long Time Ago after they Brought Out Ring Pull Cans that Most of the Tin Companies or Makers Wouldn't Make a Ring Pull Can..It Would be Bad for the Economy..In Other Words..It Would be Bad for the Can Opener Makers who are in Cahoots with the Can Makers..o_O

Hell..The Country would be in Ruins if all the Can Companies Made Ring Pull Cans and there was No Need for Can Openers..We Cant Have That..Economists..Eh.!:D

Billy

Interesting One that on the Can Opener..I Came to the Conclusion a Long Time Ago after they Brought Out Ring Pull Cans that Most of the Tin Companies or Makers Wouldn't Make a Ring Pull Can..It Would be Bad for the Economy..In Other Words..It Would be Bad for the Can Opener Makers who are in Cahoots with the Can Makers..o_O

Hell..The Country would be in Ruins if all the Can Companies Made Ring Pull Cans and there was No Need for Can Openers..We Cant Have That..Economists..Eh.!:D

Billy

Ah yes, but of course there are artisan ring-pulls and mass produced ring-pulls...I have no preference...it just depends on what's in the can:)

Back
Top Bottom