Anyone into building their own PC's?

Yes,the 4 rad fans pull air from the case,out of it,the bottom fan is pulling air in,through a filter,but the PC is sat 4ft up,on a chest of drawers,so not on a carpet!.The front 2 fans,are pulling air in,the back one is sucking air out.I have 3 HDD's,not cooled,(one 240gb Intel SSD,containing the OS,and software,and 2, 3tb 7200rpm SATA drives full of all sorts),the bottom fan should push air directly up to the GC,but the two unhindered front fans probably send the air flow else where.

Rad fans at the top of the case? I'd defo have a play with disconnecting the inputs. Try all of them at first and watch the temps, then reconnect whichever one blows over the SATA drives and see what difference that makes. I need to have a play with mine again I changed the drive set up the other day and probably don't need front fans at all now. Hours of fun PCs tha nos.

Rad fans at the top of the case? I'd defo have a play with disconnecting the inputs. Try all of them at first and watch the temps, then reconnect whichever one blows over the SATA drives and see what difference that makes. I need to have a play with mine again I changed the drive set up the other day and probably don't need front fans at all now. Hours of fun PCs tha nos.
The radiator that is connected,is at the top of the case, with 2 fans underneath it blowing air through the radiator,and 2 fans on top of the case,sucking air through the radiator,out of the top mesh...
The case is one of these,without the windows,and has sound deadening foam instead...

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002040

Last edited:
Nice case! Push/Pull is always a good go as well. Mine are big and slow which is why I went for Pull. I wonder how much difference the intakes make with that rad set up it'll be pulling a fair quantity of air through as is.

Ahhh!,I went for the 1150 socket,as it was cheaper,but I could still shove a 4770k in.
Strange thing is,it overclocks to 4.1 without even warming up,about 38-42C under normal circumstances,but if I attempt any more,using MSI's Command Centre,BSOD!....
I have never figured out why,my ram is Corsair Vengeance Pro 1886,so that is overclockable,my GC is a MSI 770 twin Frozer,and that is overclockable too,my MB is the MSI Z87 GD65 gaming,so that should be OK,so why on earth stable and cool at 4.1,BSOD at 4.2????.
BTW,if I use the MSI OC button on the MB,it sits at 4.0,which isnt that great,seeing as the 4770k has 3.9 at boost!.
Your problem might not be due to heat. Have you tried running Prime95 at 4.1 GHz to see what happens? If the system starts to go Chernobyl, then the test can simply be killed. Otherwise, it should give a good indication of how well the cooling subsystem works at that clock speed.

I have built all my own PCs, and many other for friends and family, since 1987. I was a poor engineering student back then, and could not afford a much-needed computer unless I built it myself. I built a Mini-ITX system last spring for someone using an Asus Z97I-Plus motherboard and a Xeon E3-1246 V3 processor. The case was a Rosewill Legacy W1-B / Jonsbro W1BK. It will probably be the last desktop PC I build, as nearly everyone nowadays uses laptops or tablets, and upgrades are uncommon. It's lots of fun, though, and good to see some people still "roll their own".

FYI.
I was convinced it was Power switch shorting and giving the mainboard mixed messages... So unplugged and turn it on with a screwdriver (short over the 2 pins) - it turned on everytime.
I'm now using the reset button to power on.
Awesome as I've just saved myself £150!

Ermm, it's got worse!
I'm looking at either mainboard/PSU, so bit the bullet and order some new bits!
It will be here Fri so should be up and running Fri pm or Sat am depending on when it turns up.

I worked "on the bench" as a PC engineer in the late 90's when 256MB of RAM and a 600MHz processor was "seriously powerful". I must've built and repaired many hundreds if not thousands of the things.

For many years I kept up with the latest and greatest tech (overclocked too of course) until about 10 years ago when I calmed down.

My current PC is a ~7 year old Intel Yorkfield quad core, overclocked to almost 4GHz from 2.8GHz with a 4 year old GTX 580 graphics card, also overclocked. It does what I need it to (Adobe Lightroom and the odd game of Battlefield 4 :) ).

Last edited:
Built my first in 1988 from bits begged, borrowed & bought at radio rallies - because there was no way I'd be able to buy one "in one piece". Built my last in 2003. Now I buy something that is commercially close to what I want and replace the bits that will make the most difference (usually add RAM & stick an SSD in). 95% of my needs are met by a tablet, phone & Chromebook now though.

Yes, I like Win 10 too.

Since upgrading to 10 and a SSD a few months ago, my old PC thinks it's Usain Bolt.

Boot speed is really incredible and I'm only running SATA2 due to the old motherboard (P45 chipset).

Does the panel consider it worth updating to Windoze 10 from Windoze 7 pls? My four-year-old laptop is now starting to slow down significantly. The cynic in me thinks MS deliberately do this to older operating systems via the updates to persuade us to upgrade. It happened exactly the same with my previous two PCs.

Does the panel consider it worth updating to Windoze 10 from Windoze 7 pls? My four-year-old laptop is now starting to slow down significantly. The cynic in me thinks MS deliberately do this to older operating systems via the updates to persuade us to upgrade. It happened exactly the same with my previous two PCs.
Try Ccleaner...Its free too.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Leave the default setting as they are,and it will be fine.Also use the registry cleaner part of the program.
Make sure to de-fragment your HDD's on a regular basis...(Unless it is a SSD)
That should speed it up a bit...

Thanks Doc, I do do those things plus a malwarebytes scan every once in a while. It seemed to slow after I did a big batch of windows updates which makes me think there's something fishy going on. Perhaps one day there'll be a big scandal like VW diesels that shows I'm not being para. Anyway once I've located the recovery discs, think I'll bite the bullet and do the SSD and RAM upgrades and move up to windows 10 as recommended. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom