Anyone into building their own PC's?

I have always built my own PC's,I built my first one in 2003/4,after reading a book on how to do it,my next one was in about 2007,that lasted until 2013,The one I use now,I put together at the start of last year,it was based around an Intel 4770K,with an MSI Z87-GD-65 gaming Mobo,with 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1886 ram ,and an MSI Nvidia GTX 770 Gaming 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card,with a XFX 750w PSU,a Corsair H100 CPU liquid cooler,and 8 Corsair 'silent' fans....It runs 100% stable at 4000mhz,on all 4/8 cores,not as good as I would like (I was hoping for 4500mhz on all cores),but oh well!.

I built it to be a video encoding machine!,it will encode a DVD disk to MP4 format in about 7 minutes,a 1080p Blu ray disk in 23-4 minutes.It also plays games in 1080P pretty well too!,I dont have a dedicated monitor,just a 1080p 50" Panasonic plasma TV at the end of the bed!.

That is where I am at,what about you?........Saying that,I am typing this out on an old dual core Acer laptop,running Linux Mint 17.2...

Last edited:
I'm at the stage of being competent in replacing HDD with SSD. I buy refurb business machines (lenovo) and upgrade them. I've an X200 thinkpad and an M82 thinkcentre that work wonderfully. I had an X61 that ran ubuntu but i'm familiar with windows and struggled for programs and file extensions.
I'd love to build my own from the bottom up.

Dr T - what do you think of that Corsair H100 cooler? I'm building before December and was wondering how they performed - I heard there was some monitoring / control software that went with the cooler but it was a bit glitch?

Ratty

I always build my own though I've started using off the rack stuff for family and friends. Mine is still an upgrade in progress; graphics card next when I next have the spare cash it's well behind the rest of the machine, though I still game in 1680 by 1050 so ... My favourite bit is the striped SSDs for the C: and Games drives, it isn't as fast as Eduardo's rig but it frangilates quickly enough for me.
My second favourite bit is the NZXT Phantom case I use. It's great no more skinned knuckles and cursing whilst bending bits out of the way so a new card will fit. I can actually sit in it to install new hardware...
I went for socket 2011 last time and I'm regretting it now looks like I jumped into an expensive niche but hey ho maybe quad channel will make a difference in the future.

Another builder here always used to buy pre-built systems then about 6 years ago decided to self build and found the savings i made to be quite significant.
Built my new rig about 3 months ago nothing fancy but a well capable machine with plenty of over clocking options also in the process of changing my case to a zalman Z11 but changing the colour as the black is just a bit dull for me and waiting on a thermaltake RL 240 water cooling kit for the oc'ing.

I5-4670K
MSI Z87-G45
EVGA GTX 960 4GB FTW
G-Skill Ripzaws Z 16GB
Crucial MX100 256GB
WD caviar G&B 1.5TB
Corsair Nepton CPU Cooler
Corsair 300R
Be Quiet 630W

Build my own here too, first build was a 386! Don't build anything like the spec you guys have though. Only use it for word processing and kids! Currently under my 50" LG plasma in the living room.

Sorry about my slow response guys, just after I started the thread, child 2,knocked a cup of tea all over the laptop... Killing it!. I am now struggling with tapatalk!. I should of mentioned the desktop in my first post is running winx only an Intel 250gb SSD, with 2 ,3tb's storage drives for music, TV,retro games, comics, audio books, and a handful of movies. Trouble Is I am down to my last 20gb!....

I built my own for years, but was less interested in Earth-rending specs than saving a bit of money and the fun of doing it. The most intensive things I do are ripping the odd CD and a bit of light photo editing so I really don't need a fire-breather.

I have built my own from scratch, can't remember if the first one was a 386 or a 486.
I have also bought new, but mostly I buy a cheap second hand and upgrade.
I don't use it for much, so it doesn't have to be amazing.
I do it to save a bit of money and because I quite enjoy it.
Nice to catch up with the numbers every few years.

Not really into launching rockets to Pluto but flying around in space ships, leading Roman Legionaries against the Gauls and running around shooting zombies in the face definitely call for a Lambo....
Oh yes and (occasionally) running a few virtual servers for testing n' stuff.

Back
Top Bottom