Any recommendations as to decent creams

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Guess the title says it all, but particularly looking for any thoughts as to Edwin Jagger and Vulfix 'old original' creams? Both are available over the counter at a local place and I am still quite a traditionalist for visiting a real shop.

At the moment I use 'Body Shop Macca' on a day to day basis with some Forbes, Murdock and Agua Colonia for those days I feel something a little more luxurious is in order.

It is a bit of minefield out there and would appreciate any personal preferences and why? as I don't really don't want to go down the road blind. In passing I've not really met any soap to date which give the same feel.

Edwin Jagger worked okay for me, but seemed to always produce an exceptionally dense lather which clogged my razor and required almost constant rinsing. May well have just been my technique, however there are too many nice creams and soaps out there to bother with the occasional one which doesn't work for me. Best cream I've used is LEA, available from the ever faithfull Connaughts.

JohnnyO. o/

DSC_0192_zps5ia1ifsi.jpg

The Creams that have been mentioned above are all fine...I call them Super Market Creams though...I am personally fed up with something that is just fine...I need to try that LEA Tallow stuff mind you...The other side of the coin is Designer Creams that cost a fortune...I looked for something more luxurious without the Designer price tag...I found a review on this Biotique Palmyra Expert Spa Men Shave Cream that I recently got from India...Its Great stuff an all...This stuff is Like I mean Slicker than Slick and it smells of Fresh Apple...I just want to eat it...Best Cream I have ever came across...Luxurious even...o_O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252029680280?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Billy

Last edited:
As to your question Edwin Jagger creams and soaps are really good IMHO...never tied Vulfix stuff.
If you're in the UK... and looking for a cheap and quality cream Pound World has Nivea for men shaving cream (in the tube) It's good stuff but has the generic Nivea Scent... but for £1 for 100ml a good deal. And of course as mentioned Palmolive, Erasmic and Ingrams are top notch and Supermax creams are really good as well. (Classic, Menthol, Lemon) Can be had for £1 ish .

Then there's Proraso, Speick, Real Shaving company, TOBS.. prices go up from here.

Just finished a tub of the Edwin Jagger aloe vera shaving cream, nice lather and scent, but a bit over-priced for me to buy regularly (only got it originally cos it was on offer).

Not tried Vulfix so can't comment on that.

Nobody has mentioned Taylor of Old Bond Street! Their creams are superb, and the Sandalwood is divine!
Gotta second this. Great scent, great performance, great price. I believe they are also available in John Lewis so you can have a sniff in the high Street which also matches your criteria ;)

Even after less than two days on this site I really must say the replies fly in and some great ideas and places to start. I do live in the UK (Liverpool) and so no shortage of pound shops. I must try the Nivea if even for the fact £1 is a bargain at what ever level and more so if people are happy with the results they are getting.

Taylor of Bond Street I have seen in the local John Lewis and if I remember not stupidly priced compared to some I have seen out there. Add to the list.

Just can't wait to get home and have a field day and especially as I am in Manchester (a concert) on the weekend of the 23rd which will give me an opportunity to explore the city on the shaving front as the shops do seem to be more varied. Also know of a place 'Astons' which stock quite a few shaving products.

Looking good and many thanks to all to date. Just keep them coming as I am a newbie to this side of shaving even after 55 years on the planet.

Even after less than two days on this site I really must say the replies fly in and some great ideas and places to start. I do live in the UK (Liverpool) and so no shortage of pound shops. I must try the Nivea if even for the fact £1 is a bargain at what ever level and more so if people are happy with the results they are getting.

Taylor of Bond Street I have seen in the local John Lewis and if I remember not stupidly priced compared to some I have seen out there. Add to the list.

Just can't wait to get home and have a field day and especially as I am in Manchester (a concert) on the weekend of the 23rd which will give me an opportunity to explore the city on the shaving front as the shops do seem to be more varied. Also know of a place 'Astons' which stock quite a few shaving products.

Looking good and many thanks to all to date. Just keep them coming as I am a newbie to this side of shaving even after 55 years on the planet.
As you're based in Liverpool Satanfriendly...have you ever tried the L7 Village Market? Loads of wet shaving stuff to be found there!!!

http://village-market.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom