Any Golfers ?

Perhaps in a 100 years' time a great grandchild will look at a photo of you holding a golf trophy and say to his/her son/daughter - that's your great great granddad - he was the one that broke the mould.

I used to play on all the municipals in Sheffield. Some were, not to put too fine a point on it, in utterly shite areas and had kids riding motorbikes on the fairways, etc but a couple were lovely.

I'm not sure if I'd join a club or not. I think if they weren't too stuffy I would (I assume you can play as much as you want once you've paid your subs?)

Good few years ago a few mates from work and I use to play a municipal course. They had a guy on a quad bike who would collect fees. We always waved an old car dandy he would raise. His hand and ride off thinking we had paid. Naughty I know. We also visited a members only club, a fairly posh place. The gut on the counter though one of our party was a member and always let us play for nothing. All the best things in life are free.

Started playing 51 years ago. Never had a hole in one. Won a trophy only once. If anyone is thinking of taking up the game go and get some lessons before going out on a course. And prepare to suffer.

Started playing 51 years ago. Never had a hole in one. Won a trophy only once. If anyone is thinking of taking up the game go and get some lessons before going out on a course. And prepare to suffer.

Never played a day until 26 years ago, a friend took me? Honestly no lie, I landed two hole in one shots on what is deemed one of the best links courses, which was just insane luck but that friend took it so badly that we ended up never speaking again as he was convinced I'd had lessons and played for years. The only time I've been near a golf course since is when I have permission to walk across it to go fishing.
Completely agree on the lessons, the same has to be said for fly fishing. You are completely wasting your time by not investing in the most important part, and jeopardising your future in that given area.

3. Let the club do all the work on short shots.
Good advice for any golfer, especially on the short game. Don't use your hands and it will be easier to make a repeatable swing. Don't try and hit the ball, just swing the club. Easier said than done though. Tempo is the killer for me, I get quick after the transition and the hands take over to try and correct. If I was able to pick one swing thought it would be tempo. Love the game, always good to see new people getting bit by the bug.

If your swing isn't correct or feels like it could be worked on I once got some great advice from a PGA pro, which is to snap at your elbows and have three rigid movements before striking the ball. That's swinging up snapping the elbows down and through. Quite unnatural but work a treat as it did for him.

All the other idiosyncrasies that are helpful to me:
Less power
Relaxed stance
Painful hand grip
Strike below the middle for everything but a putt
Buy golf shoes
Clean your club face before a shot.

Last edited:
Great book,bit technical and dry at times but it works. I play 52,56,60. My PW is 48 so it gives me an even spread.

Make your first target a sub 100 round, then work done from there. It's a nice feeling when you break it.

Back
Top Bottom