Any Golfers ?

I think you have to find your skill level. When I was playing cricket years ago, it was just across the road from the Belfry - so we had a few society games there - in the early days of the course. Usually we played on the secondary course which was great for us - but once we had to play the Brabazon. It killed it for me - much too difficult, loads of water - not just lakes but running across fairways in unexpected places. I think I used over 20 balls that day - I felt completely chastised and miserable.

I started playing golf about 3 years ago and I cant get enough of the game, I love it.

After having 6 free lessons at out local driving range I was hooked. I then started playing at the local pitch an putt course to try and get some practice playing on grass instead of off a mat. A year or so after that I was invited by a friend of mine to play at his course on a Saturday morning, I played with his regular swindle group and the rest was history for me I joined his club a month later.

The good thing I would say about joining a golf club is not only do you learn a lot from the other members there, you get to play with lots of different levels of players too and I think that really improves your game. it make you think about your game in a different way.

Best thing I ever did, I now look forward to Saturday mornings knowing that I'll always get a game, there is always some one willing to play no matter what the weather like...

Weird how its an uncomfortable hand grip that is correct, apparently those who play cricket find it difficult at first to modify the swing
That's very true - although I wasn't much of a batsman, I always tried to cover drive a golf ball. It wasn't until I gave up cricket that my swing became normal.

That's very true - although I wasn't much of a batsman, I always tried to cover drive a golf ball. It wasn't until I gave up cricket that my swing became normal.
Yep I put myself in the same category Rob. Cover drive! I couldn't even execute that well in cricket, had to also get rid of my flick and swoosh with regards to my squash swing.

Ah I flick my wrists when I reach the top end of my swing, prior to the club coming down. Strangely the Pro teacher, said he once was in a PGA competition and everything was going wrong with his swing so he reverted back to his basic staccato swing three step process not smooth at all, he did pretty well after that adjustment, I sometimes do this too now if playing bad and it works wonders, others look at you on the tee as though your possessed but their laughs die down as the golf ball consistently land
Well, I played this afternoon on a cracking par 3 course.

Front nine was nothing special, but the back 9 reads ... 4 3 3 5 6 3 3 3 4 ... I'm seriously chuffed to bits with that score!
Thats quite impressive, well done!

A friend of mine when he played, set up his stance - then cocked his wrists fully before starting the backswing. Strange to watch, but like many things on golf, it is what he has found that works for him. I have tried to copy it in the past myself as I know that my wrists have always been a bit (at best - lazy, at worst - weak(ly)) undisciplined.

I play a lot but have turned into a bit of a fair weather golfer this year. I'm off 7 and for me the short game is what you want to focus on. Definitely get the extra wedges, get a bag of balls and hit them a lot. Joining a club is great, I love playing competitions it's you against the course (and yourself) and really satisfying when you play well. Just be wary about having too many lessons at the beginning, it's useful to have one, make a change then spend a month or so playing and getting used to it. Enjoy the game and the social aspect after.

There's a great book called the short game bible by Dave Pelz it's really good for lowering scores but takes a lot of practice to get the system. I like it because you have precise yardages for all wedges.

Back
Top Bottom