Any Golfers ?

I started with Mizuno and a few others good make to be honest. I stopped but dad has gone onto better clubs. It was the long handled putters that made all the difference to me.

Regards the short-ish game, I was always taught that given a choice between a full swing with A, or half/three quarter swing with B - go A. Everytime. The logic being that a full swing is easier to control and more predictable, than a partial.

As for the toys.... Taylormade irons, Calloway Woods & Ping Anser K putter. Balls? whatever was going cheap at American Golf.

Another day, another round on the 18 hole par 3 with my Dad and Brother.

Knocked 3 shots off yesterday's best score for a +21. A couple of Birdies helped. One was a chip and the other was a long putt.

Best of all was using the same ball for 45 holes! A bad tee shot nearly lost it, but after a cracking provisional the old man found it in an impossible lie. A drop and penalty and nice chip on gave me a double bogey. Time to retire that ball now, I reckon. It's not even a very good model either.

I think a +18 round is now easily doable.

Still waiting for my membership application to be dealt with and then I can start playing proper golf.

So, a score of 75 on a par 54 will probably equate to something just over a hundred on a full sized course. That's the bench mark - trying to keep below a hundred. It much harder than you will think - sometimes your game off the tee will be good and crap around the green - sometimes vice versa - selldom will both come together but when they do, you might even get into the low 90s.

I always aimed for that too, but rarely achieved it unfortunately!

I normally got around the low hundreds.

I'd love to play again (though I've sold all my equipment).

When I do take it up again I'll do it properly with lessons and the rest of it. It might be a retirement thing as that's when I'll have to time to do it justice.

Not a golfer, doesn't matter if you are from a working class estate etc. The man with in is the true test. Some of the nastiest and most corrupt people have wealth. I'm quite proud to be working class, ancestors fought in wars, and my great grandad couldn't even read or write. I'd watch my back though with all them toffs

On the subject of being proposed I had a close encounter with the Masons, someone was offering to put me forward, no thanks !

Received an invite to an interview next week to join the Golf Club.

Got to wear a collar and tie and take one of my proposers (who both live 20 miles away).

Given my head a wobble and I don't think this golf club membership lark is going to be right for a working-class bloke off a pit estate who doesn't know which fork to use, or which way to pass the port.

I wouldn't worry about passing the port - it's whether you've got the pot to piss in that's more important. Golf Club members/masons - how different are they from the rest of us? Not much in my opinion - the ones who hold the positions are just like any other bunch of people who want a bit of power - some are OK, some are arseholes. Play golf with the ones who aren't arseholes and you'll enjoy the company.

I've been for an introduction to them too.

I think in both cases I'm about as far away from the kind of bloke they're looking for it's comical.

Well, there's a couple of grand saved for the holiday pot then.
I was ousted out of one club for not being white, I kid you not. I was told its a 'breed' of members only. Not very nice to hear that and unfortunately I'm a sarcy git when it comes to what I consider racism, so I set them straight.

I don't think it matters what class or background your from, they will be loving you for your money either way, slap a few grand on the table and your in. Not even a handshake. It all begins with the pro and lessons, think of it as grooming.

I was ousted out of one club for not being white, I kid you not. I was told its a 'breed' of members only. Not very nice to hear that and unfortunately I'm a sarcy git when it comes to what I consider racism, so I set them straight.

I don't think it matters what class or background your from, they will be loving you for your money either way, slap a few grand on the table and your in. Not even a handshake. It all begins with the pro and lessons, think of it as grooming.

Awful Nishy. Don't blame you one bit, there are too many ignorant uneducated people out there. I wouldn't be a member of any club that treated anyone that way. I wouldn't even want to be in the presence of people like that.

Yep, unfortunately it only takes a few words to leave a lasting impression. Not the case in the other clubs I visit. Also a nice story a guy called Tony Davis has several clubs one being The Shire, he is my dad's best mate from high school who used to stand up to racism when my dad first went to school, nice to know he's thriving. In contrast we have honorary memberships here.

I was born and raised in Southampton and we have a few, Hindu, Muslim and black friends. Thankfully my kids have grown up with our friends around them, so they don't have the ignorance of many of the same age. My son has a younger black school friend who he has backed up before. I've seen a fair amount of ignorance and racism but obviously having never experienced it I can't comprehend every emotion. But I'd be offended if my friends were hurt that way.

I've also worked with some nasty buggers. I use to sit next to Muslim guy, he was a bit of a local hard man too, he collected debts for money lenders. Every Ramadan he would pop off to pray and return to break his fast. He would do this with dates, I liked dates and I always took one or two, if I wanted one or not. I knew that part of his culture was to share. But the amount of people who refused or didn't because they had a problem with him ! Anyway one day he came in with two whole boxes and thanked me. A while later my son was born and he went out of his way to find me and congratulate the family. He even went to say that my sons name was a good one, explaining that Samuel appears in the Koran as well as the bible and it was a good strong male name.

I've been for an introduction to them too.

I think in both cases I'm about as far away from the kind of bloke they're looking for it's comical.

Well, there's a couple of grand saved for the holiday pot then.

It's increasingly unusual to find clubs like this now, most of them are scrabbling for members. The last time I had an interview for membership the Captain was already pissed by the time I went in, he spent 10 minutes telling me about golf tours he had been then shook my hand and bought me and the other new joiners a pint. The majority of places who still interview will do it as a tradition and if you are keen to play the game they will be more than welcoming. Just remember memberships are in decline so they will really want you to be in there spending your hard earned. I think of them more as a way for me to decide if I want to join rather than if they want to let me in. I wouldn't let it put you off, once you start playing you will find that the majority of people are normal blokes working normal jobs.

Handicap, schmandicap.
Going back in the when, there used to be a way you could get a Handicap without being a member of a club - I just can't remember who the organisation doing it was? The only time I ever needed one, when I was playing quite regularly, was when I got offered a chance to play at Royal Lytham, back in 90's - fortunately, I knew a man who did;).

Back
Top Bottom