Acquisitions - February 2024

Damn it!

1708003909967.jpeg

Purchased from edenwood.co and I was very excited, thinking this would be a really good triple-milled classic French shaving soap (really good reviews elsewhere) with the ingredient list as advertised but upon arrival my heart sank. I could tell straight away from the REBEL that something was amis and upon flipping the Monsieur tin over ... comfirmed: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water) ...

Need I say more? Different ingredient list, sodium-only and actually, that formulation is classic bar soap. Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!

I called edenwood.co up and they could not do more for me!

Very apologetic and refunded immediately with no onus on me to send back, even keep the gratis bar soap that they popped in and would not accept my offer that they reduce the refund since that soap is perfectly fit for purpose.

So, if you were in the market for these La Maison du Savon de Marseilles then double-check the ingredient list with the supplier beforehand but, if you were to just want some hand soap and other such bits and pieces I can wholeheartedly recommend edenwood.co for their service.

FWIW, we think La Maison du Savon de Marseilles are the actual producer behind a number of French soaps including Plisson, Thierrs Issard and possibly also L'Occitance. Plisson's current offering matches what I can see on the back of the tin I have in my hand here and so presume Thierrs Issard will be the same. L'Occitane's current offering is also known to be light and foamy, and not fit for shaving purpose.

Again, if you're after THESE soaps (including Plisson, Thierrs Issard and L'Occitane) then avoid, but if you want a good and honest online retailer then I can whole-heartedly recommend edenwood.co as a company.

Damn it (again)! Looks like I'll need to do a Bluffer's Guide to French Triple-Milled now ... actually Thierrs Issard are making a 2024-style formulation soap (not Pentesodium Pentetate and that double Laurate ingredient mention) akin ... in fact, VERY akin to Tabac's reformulation. I'll have to hunt one of those down to fulfil my French soap lust!

I had some points with Executive Shaving, then I got some birthday points… so this lot cost me ten quid (including postage).

MWF for fat february… new new formulation (compared ingredients with one of the posts on here)
Trumpers cream, Spanish Leather… lovely scent.

Both of these are two ends of the scale for soaps/creams. Looking forward to using both.

IMG_0104.jpeg

Damn it!

View attachment 117029

Purchased from edenwood.co and I was very excited, thinking this would be a really good triple-milled classic French shaving soap (really good reviews elsewhere) with the ingredient list as advertised but upon arrival my heart sank. I could tell straight away from the REBEL that something was amis and upon flipping the Monsieur tin over ... comfirmed: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water) ...

Need I say more? Different ingredient list, sodium-only and actually, that formulation is classic bar soap. Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!

I called edenwood.co up and they could not do more for me!

Very apologetic and refunded immediately with no onus on me to send back, even keep the gratis bar soap that they popped in and would not accept my offer that they reduce the refund since that soap is perfectly fit for purpose.

So, if you were in the market for these La Maison du Savon de Marseilles then double-check the ingredient list with the supplier beforehand but, if you were to just want some hand soap and other such bits and pieces I can wholeheartedly recommend edenwood.co for their service.

FWIW, we think La Maison du Savon de Marseilles are the actual producer behind a number of French soaps including Plisson, Thierrs Issard and possibly also L'Occitance. Plisson's current offering matches what I can see on the back of the tin I have in my hand here and so presume Thierrs Issard will be the same. L'Occitane's current offering is also known to be light and foamy, and not fit for shaving purpose.

Again, if you're after THESE soaps (including Plisson, Thierrs Issard and L'Occitane) then avoid, but if you want a good and honest online retailer then I can whole-heartedly recommend edenwood.co as a company.
I received the non-lathering version when I ordered La Maison through Amazon. I was interested in trying that soap as I had heard it used the same base as the Pre de Provence soaps. Ultimately, I decided to purchase a tin of the no.63 from Pasteur.

Another bloody birthday, still could be worse, I’m now the same age as the NHS, and look at the state they are in!
And I got these -
View attachment 117131
Bottle of CK IN2U edt (smells great) and a Muhle R89 Twist (can’t wait to try it), a good day as well, so older but happy!

Congratulations! Yeah, our dear Bevan must be turning in his grave!

Congratulation also on the Muhle Twist. I certainly like mine. Second pass is really nice holding it much further down the handle and with a supportive but soft wrist, just let the strokes glide. Have fun!

I received the non-lathering version when I ordered La Maison through Amazon. I was interested in trying that soap as I had heard it used the same base as the Pre de Provence soaps. Ultimately, I decided to purchase a tin of the no.63 from Pasteur.

edenwood.co also sell through Amazon. It's a little harder to get the details changed on the Amazon item since the order can be fulfilled by any number of sellers and they'd all have to agree the changes. So, for a while at least, the ones on Amazon will continue to have the wrong details.

Yeah, what a disappointment!

Plisson is also sodium-only formulation, which we know is a disaster for shaving lather. Thierrs Issard have reformulated to what appears to be the Tabac formulation. So, yes, Pre de Provence would very much fulfil my longing for more French hard soaps but alas I see shea butter quite high up the ingredient list and I know that won't work for me - their soaps are due for reformulation due to their ingredients still containing the now EU-wide ban on Pentasodium Pentetate and my guess is that they'll move over to the Tabac formulation ... or worse, flick over to one of their siblings sodium-only formulations and kiss their legacy goodbye! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ho-hum! I'll just have to enjoy my vintage L'Occitane Cade more often.

My February acquisitions (until now):

1. DOVO Special straight razor

OLzXAbo.jpeg

2. Plisson grey badger brush

V8Bo5PP.jpeg

3. Stando Rod Aluminum razor

Lf3zWhz.jpeg

4. Simpson Tulip T1 and Persian Jar PJ1 Silvertip badger brushes

pFgOnb8.jpeg

5. Galco Cobra Classic razor

MeIkmpt.jpeg

6. CTRL Daft Wave razor

mO4kDRh.jpeg

L1KInAq.jpeg

ZGL0VNp.jpeg

7. Wolfman WR4-SB .60 Bronze Single Edge razor head with Sir Marlon Grant gold razor handle

olmWvjB.jpeg

IKIE6zr.jpeg

ip5lebk.jpeg

8. OUMO brushes
Fortress Atlantis No. 1 Limited Edition handle with 5th Anniversary Special Edition Finest 2-band badger 27mm Fan
Warhammer 2023 Halloween Limited Edition handle with Manchuria M-5 Finest 2-band badger 25mm Bulb
Exceed Classic Version with EX Density ST-1 Super Fiber 29mm Bulb

kzZhUEq.jpeg

9. Charcoal Goods Everyday razor

ayS0qaL.jpeg

8y4IR58.jpeg

10. Stando Mokosz in Copper No. 001

AP1unG1.jpeg

bWOZUNL.jpeg

11. Stando Morana in Copper No. 001

Qrxmp7V.jpeg

frNXdVt.jpeg

12. 3D printed Darth Vader, Mandalorian and LOTR ring handles with - Black Boar, White Cashmere and Timberwolf knots (all 24mm, not yet glued in)

A4ZYsu0.jpeg

McJAQd6.jpeg

My February acquisitions (until now):

1. DOVO Special straight razor

OLzXAbo.jpeg

2. Plisson grey badger brush

V8Bo5PP.jpeg

3. Stando Rod Aluminum razor

Lf3zWhz.jpeg

4. Simpson Tulip T1 and Persian Jar PJ1 Silvertip badger brushes

pFgOnb8.jpeg

5. Galco Cobra Classic razor

MeIkmpt.jpeg

6. CTRL Daft Wave razor

mO4kDRh.jpeg

L1KInAq.jpeg

ZGL0VNp.jpeg

7. Wolfman WR4-SB .60 Bronze Single Edge razor head with Sir Marlon Grant gold razor handle

olmWvjB.jpeg

IKIE6zr.jpeg

ip5lebk.jpeg

8. OUMO brushes
Fortress Atlantis No. 1 Limited Edition handle with 5th Anniversary Special Edition Finest 2-band badger 27mm Fan
Warhammer 2023 Halloween Limited Edition handle with Manchuria M-5 Finest 2-band badger 25mm Bulb
Exceed Classic Version with EX Density ST-1 Super Fiber 29mm Bulb

kzZhUEq.jpeg

9. Charcoal Goods Everyday razor

ayS0qaL.jpeg

8y4IR58.jpeg

10. Stando Mokosz in Copper No. 001

AP1unG1.jpeg

bWOZUNL.jpeg

11. Stando Morana in Copper No. 001

Qrxmp7V.jpeg

frNXdVt.jpeg

12. 3D printed Darth Vader, Mandalorian and LOTR ring handles with - Black Boar, White Cashmere and Timberwolf knots (all 24mm, not yet glued in)

A4ZYsu0.jpeg

McJAQd6.jpeg
No blades, soaps or aftershaves? Pah! ;)

Nice haul. I have and really like the Morana. :)

Went to our favourite farm shop today for bacon butties and coffee for breakfast. Also to let the dog stalk the free range chickens and pick up some bread, sausages, pies and dogfood.
After putting dog back in car and shopping, we noticed a new display - they now make their own handmade soap, I was going to try some when I noticed a small sign “Free shaving brush with our new shaving soap.” Well, it would have been rude not to so I splurged a fiver on…
1D750DD6-29F3-41EB-A0DD-DCC4C83C57C6.jpeg
…doubt if the brush will be very good, but hoping that the Knitsley Naturals soap will be okay. The ingredients if anyone is interested are -
5FD1FF6A-C0D4-4EDD-8B96-3886A7965FE2.jpeg
I live in hope (no I don’t, it’s Sunderland, no hope here mate!)

Back
Top Bottom