Acquisitions - February 2024

Simpsons Captain synthetic. Plus a few blades for my burgeoning stash.
My current brush is fine, but I tend to end up throwing it all around the bathroom when it gets a bit soapy (and it does get a bit soapy). The knot on the Captain is pretty much the same as my current brush, but has a much longer handle so I can grip it with my bony, arthriticky claws. I still have to test this out… watch SOTD.

IMG_0098.jpeg

View attachment 116435
All this talk of triple-milled soap left me with some serious SAD.

Interestingly (to me), while we're collectively fairly certain that the CRS and the DRH are the same base, the CRS is much wider - I don't think they're produced at the same facility (or if they are, they have their own line).
Excellent review here. This guy is considered a bit of an expert in this field:

Not sure about soaps since 2022 but the CRS and DRH both fit in the same size aluminium tin.

Excellent review here. This guy is considered a bit of an expert in this field:

Not sure about soaps since 2022 but the CRS and DRH both fit in the same size aluminium tin.
I could - just - fit the DRH into my shiny new LEA bowl, but the CRS poked out a good few mm on either side.

I haven't weighed the soaps (possibly the same mould was over-filled by Salter), but they're not identical.

Was in Morrisons this afternoon and picked up a bowl of Wilkinson sword soap, I've never tried it so for £2.50 i thought it was worth a bash. Smells lovely by the way.
Ive heard widely differing opinions on this but nothing ventured and all that...
View attachment 116584

Give it a go!

I've kinda lost track of the formulations of the Wilko bowl, but do know the rebrand black bowl is considerably better than the blue bowl. Now with palmitic acid, the (new) black bowl gains a creaminess and lather stability beyond the rather functional blue bowl. I have the slightly older black bowl which came with a green sticker around it and predating the blue bowl - that one was stearate-first and produced a pretty damn good lather. I think the (new) black bowl you've bought here performs far more like what you'd expect from a good shaving cream.

Have fun!

Ended up getting a Silvertip over the finest in the Semogue Torga. And the boar version so it didn't get lonely. Picture taken after test lathers. Really pleased with both brushes. Not many reviews on the silvertip, and I don't think I have used one before. Found it had really soft tips and just the right backbone.

If they did these knots with the same loft, in the SOC handles, they would be perfect.

1000029188.jpg

Back
Top Bottom