Acquisitions - April 2024

Enabled by @donnie_arko the other day, this GF Wild Hog just arrived ...

AP1GczPZ0s4W6Qu0QAUkGXPXlE_NkcKfSLo36iXxRzLvGIitx0OAVKZOR5eSAAYdrTCFZy9Ez0epbSr9li6M87sbnQQy0uVGghAb2CjOuNC7z-w3zxd_OQCv3qMPpixnB_uN4-EhOr_h9HfWvzjpr26Ig1FEFg=w800

I've just given the brush a test lather and I am sure I'll be very happy with it. Good spring to the bristles!

Previously, I have had a 48 or maybe a 49 and did not like the tall loft. I'd not realised that the Proraso and this one are shorter lofts, so very happy to have found that out. I have a Shave Factory (red) unbleached incoming as well ... same dimensions, I believe.

Paul, did you order the Shaving Factory brush from Amazon? If you did, cancel it straight away! They haven't updated their listing, the Shaving Factory brush is a weird plastic fibre now. I had to send my one back.

Paul, did you order the Shaving Factory brush from Amazon? If you did, cancel it straight away! They haven't updated their listing, the Shaving Factory brush is a weird plastic fibre now. I had to send my one back.

Yes, it's from La Barberia's Amazon front. They're usually good, no? Never mind. If it's not what I want, I'll return it as "not as advertised".

That's a shame.

Is this Goodfellas brush unbleached? It's a damn sight darker than the Omega Tricolore that it's sitting next to.

Yes, it's from La Barberia's Amazon front. They're usually good, no? Never mind. If it's not what I want, I'll return it as "not as advertised".

That's a shame.

Is this Goodfellas brush unbleached? It's a damn sight darker than the Omega Tricolore that it's sitting next to.

Ah in that case it could be different. I think La Barbiera might have some old stocks. The ones I bought from Amazon (not a third party seller) were definitely synthetic.

The GFS Wild Hog is actually bleached but not fully or as much as some other of their knots. The Omega Proraso is supposed to be unbleached with a similar sized knot if my memory serves me right.

Ah in that case it could be different. I think La Barbiera might have some old stocks. The ones I bought from Amazon (not a third party seller) were definitely synthetic.

The GFS Wild Hog is actually bleached but not fully or as much as some other of their knots. The Omega Proraso is supposed to be unbleached with a similar sized knot if my memory serves me right.

If the Shave Factory doesn't pan out, I'll probably get the Proraso in. The silver is just a big garish, but never mind. Cheap enough.

Gotta say, I prefer the taller loft of the 20102. It ain’t floppy and it holds more lather. Just my own preference.

For some Omega knots, some like the 48/49 once they break in the knots can lose their shape. Of course some like that, but for those who don't, something like the Wild Hog/Proraso can make some sense.

I think I read somewhere the knot used on the 20102, might have come from the same suppliers who Zenith provide their unbleached knots from. I have a Zenith unbleached I bought a while back, maybe 2016? It was clear the bristles were thicker and had a lot more backbone than the Omegas I had. I thought this way the way until I bought some new Omegas, and they use thinner bristles than ones from a few years back.

What's my point? I'm not entirely sure tbh. I think it might be Omega have variable supply of boar bristles, and some can be thicker than others and their knots do not always perform like one would expect but are generally enjoyable to use nonetheless.

I think I might order an unbleached Zenith. The last one I had was wonderful, it's a shame I couldn't get another replacement.

If the Shave Factory doesn't pan out, I'll probably get the Proraso in. The silver is just a big garish, but never mind. Cheap enough.

Give the Wild Hog a go, it's a really enjoyable knot to use. Omega really got it right with that brush, it has a lot of fans including a few here.

That would have made me very disappointed @donnie_arko, if not a bit angry! You know, like "for the price, for ffff's sake just get it right!". Really glad LaBarbiera came through with the right one - I think I'd feel more disappointed about being let down by a great supplier than the actual brush, but it's all good from this highly recommended supplier.

I've test lathered both this one and the Goodfella's Smile - the Shave Factory is indeed softer (more like the 108) while the GFS has a bit more backbone. I'll enjoy both. Side by side, they look about the same in terms of bleaching ... maybe both are "not so much bleached, but just a little?". Dunno. The Shave Factory has more smell, confirmed by placing both near a cat and seeing which they smell first.

Last edited:
Omega make it ... we know that much.

But yes, that's probably why it's not so easy to find by searching. I went with the Amazon option since I didn't want anything else from their online shop and it worked out cheaper, but if folks want just the brush ... and some other goodies, head over to: https://labarbiera.co.uk/products/arko-shaving-soap-and-omega-shaving-boar-bristle-brush

"Brush by Omega:- highly regarded brush maker Omega have done it again with a great value, Shaving Factory branded boar hair brush. Medium length, great for beginners and experienced alike."

... cue in a slew of Arko tubs being PIF'd :ROFLMAO:

... cue in a slew of Arko tubs being PIF'd :ROFLMAO:
  • Classic:- It's no wonder the Arko Shave Soap is one of the biggest selling shave soaps worldwide, punching above it's weight at a very low price point, producing a wonderfully rich, creamy lather that protects and prevents drag.
  • Traditional scent:- clean, fresh and lemony, brings you right back into a traditional barber shop.

Back
Top Bottom