Above The Tie Slant or something else?

Good Afternoon Gents,
I'm looking to buy another razor. I already own the ATT R1 (and love it) and a Merkur 34c, really don't get on with it.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm tempted to try a slant and thinking of either the Above The Tie S1 or S2? I've never used either a slant or an Open Comb, so looking for advice from anyone who's used the ATT the slants and ideally used the S1 and S2. I'm also think of getting the Kronos handle too.

TBH I'm pretty new to the DE world so looking to expand my horizons. If anyone can recommend anything else which might catch my eye (doesn't have to be a slant), please feel free to nominate your favourite. Hopefully I haven't muddy the waters too much there.:oops:

Criteria: Easily available (no waiting lists please) with a budget up to £200
Things I'm not looking for: A mild razor or any Merkur.

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers
Rob

Disclaimer - I have not tried any ATT product.

Have you seen the iKon X3 slant? It's an incredible shaver, no less. At a much more reasonable price also.

It easily mows down days of stubble and delivers BBS (at least on my mug) with only 2 passes.

It is very very mild on the face, yet very effective. In more common nomenclature, I guess it's called an aggressive razor.

20160721-P7213793.jpg

Good Afternoon Gents,
I'm looking to buy another razor. I already own the ATT R1 (and love it) and a Merkur 34c, really don't get on with it.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm tempted to try a slant and thinking of either the Above The Tie S1 or S2? I've never used either a slant or an Open Comb, so looking for advice from anyone who's used the ATT the slants and ideally used the S1 and S2. I'm also think of getting the Kronos handle too.

TBH I'm pretty new to the DE world so looking to expand my horizons. If anyone can recommend anything else which might catch my eye (doesn't have to be a slant), please feel free to nominate your favourite. Hopefully I haven't muddy the waters too much there.:oops:

Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob, the ATT S1/ S2 is a fabulous razor imo, I have the S2 and I must say I love it......if you buy the S1 and fancy the S2 you simply send the base plate back for a free of charge replacement . I don't have to tell you about the build quality of ATT because yo know it's top draw. Imo everyone should have at least one slant in their line up.
For a few $ more the timeless razors need some careful looking at too.
I'm getting one after lots of research
its a no brainer, just wish the exchange rate was better! Or how about a straight razor ,worth thinking about, I've got my Kamisori but I'm thinking about a western style straight. Lots to think about, give me a shout if you want to chat.

Good Afternoon Gents,

Cheers
Rob
I've got both the S1 and S2 (as a set), and they're very good razors. I also have all the Ikon slants/humpbacks, a Razorock Stealth and a couple of other slants.

I bought the Ikon/Shavecraft X3 head when it came out, and I'm very impressed with it. It's made of aluminium, and I find it teams up well with a heavy-ish stainless handle. It's also reasonably-priced, and blade loading isn't as fiddly as was the case with the stainless Ikon. The other Shavecraft is the humpback 102, also aluminium, which is also a super-efficient razor, and even easier to load. Both are available off the shelf. There's a wide choice of handles available, either proprietary or ones such as the Windrose range.

Although you've got a handsome budget, buying one of the less expensive slants would give you the chance to see if you like them, without paying out too much first-off. I think that most slants are curious razors, on the "strength" aspect. I'd classify most as "efficient without being aggressive", and they really shine with decent blades (Russians etc.).

Rob, I have the ATT R1 and like you I love it.

I liked it so much I picked up the Slant combo pack (S1 & S2) on a trip to the US earlier this year and have been using them both for a few months. For me they are both a notch less aggressive than the R1 so I can use either one daily without a problem. Having used them both I have a (very) slight preference for the S1 as I find it a bit more forgiving than the open comb S2, but that could be because I tend to get better results with closed comb razors in general.

In terms of looks I think the S2 has the edge over the S1, it really is a thing of beauty.

Good luck choosing, I couldn't and had to have both!

Good evening Gents,
Many thanks for the responses so far.
@tuxxdk and @Ferrum When reading up on the ATT slants the ikon slants seem to get mentioned a lot to. I'll be looking further into the ikons.

@Blademonkey I was reading the Timeless OC thread yesterday as I remember you mentioning it a while back.
I had a quick look on their website today. I'm not really feeling the OC. I will have another look when I've got more time.
I really like the Kamisori type razor, very, very cool. It's right up there on my want list, which is a very long list.

@preidy Buying a C-37 or cheap slant would be the sensible thing to do I know. I may even go this route.

Sorry I couldn't reply to everyone. I'm off out now for the evening. Which isn't like me at all. I'm usually like a pilot light....I never go out.:p:D

Good evening Gents,
Many thanks for the responses so far.
@tuxxdk and @Ferrum When reading up on the ATT slants the ikon slants seem to get mentioned a lot to. I'll be looking further into the ikons.

@Blademonkey I was reading the Timeless OC thread yesterday as I remember you mentioning it a while back.
I had a quick look on their website today. I'm not really feeling the OC. I will have another look when I've got more time.
I really like the Kamisori type razor, very, very cool. It's right up there on my want list, which is a very long list.

@preidy Buying a C-37 or cheap slant would be the sensible thing to do I know. I may even go this route.

Sorry I couldn't reply to everyone. I'm off out now for the evening. Which isn't like me at all. I'm usually like a pilot light....I never go out.:p:D
Have a great night out.

Hi Blackmass. I own the S1 and S2 also the Ikon 102 slant. I'd go for the Ikon either the 102 or the newer X3. You will save a pile of wonga and get a first class comfortable shave from the Ikons. I'd give the S1 a miss it is too mild, if it must be an ATT and I don't blame you if it must then go straight to the S2. You will probably regret the S1.

Hi Blackmass. I own the S1 and S2 also the Ikon 102 slant. I'd go for the Ikon either the 102 or the newer X3. You will save a pile of wonga and get a first class comfortable shave from the Ikons. I'd give the S1 a miss it is too mild, if it must be an ATT and I don't blame you if it must then go straight to the S2. You will probably regret the S1.

Thanks for the no nonsense reply, really appreciate it.

Choices, choices, choices.

I've had the ATT S1 and S2 and sold them. But at the minute I have got the ikon X3 with the 90mm SE handle which is a very good match with the Finish.
A very smooth shaving razor good fit and finish for about the £50 mark well worth a try first.

I have a R1 and a S1

I have also tried the IKON (DLC) slant, have a RazoRock Stealth Slant, etc.

The S1 for me gives as close a shave as the R1, but feels much smoother. A fantastic razor and could easily be a daily driver...

The IKON DLC slant on the other hand was for me too harsh - the shave was close, but at a price. The X3 is supposed to be very similar to the IKON stainless steel slants, so my vote would definitely go for the S1

Back
Top Bottom