Above The Tie Slant or something else?

Afternoon Gents,
Quick question. Will the ikon X3 head fit the ATT Atlas?

Cheers
Rob
Yes. Just tried the two together.

Most modern handles have an M5 x .80 thread, which now seems to be the de facto standard. That means that most heads will fit most handles. Where you have to be careful is when the head thread is too long for the thread recess in a handle i.e. you can't tighten it up. This doesn't happen very often, but I've found it a couple of times.

Yes. Just tried the two together.

Most modern handles have an M5 x .80 thread, which now seems to be the de facto standard. That means that most heads will fit most handles. Where you have to be careful is when the head thread is too long for the thread recess in a handle i.e. you can't tighten it up. This doesn't happen very often, but I've found it a couple of times.

Thank you for the rapid response.

If you do get the ikons just be careful as they are made of aluminium and if you overtighten the handle you can strip the thread. I've never had any trouble with Ikon though. It's just something they make you aware of.
The other thing to be careful over is that you do not cross-thread it. If it won't do up very easily, then it's almost always because the thread isn't correctly engaged. Stop, and try again. No 3-piece razor should need force to assemble it, especially aluminium ones.
Having said this, they are a high-grade and quite hard aluminium, and as @wayne mattison says, I've never had a problem with them.

I firmly believe the issues with aluminium threads do not stem from normal use.

As long as you don't tighten it like Hulk and not cross thread (no material withstands cross threading and Hulk tightening in these dimensions ..) I am hard pressed to imagine any possible issues :)

Have you thought about the ikon B1 OSS Dual Head - gives you a chance to compare open and closed comb. This is definitely one of my favourite razors - first pass with the open comb - then second and third with the closed comb gives a great shave.

Having said that I am also looking at the ATT range and quite fancy the S1 - to try another slant as I didn't like the Merkur 37c very much.

Have you thought about the ikon B1 OSS Dual Head - gives you a chance to compare open and closed comb. This is definitely one of my favourite razors - first pass with the open comb - then second and third with the closed comb gives a great shave.

Having said that I am also looking at the ATT range and quite fancy the S1 - to try another slant as I didn't like the Merkur 37c very much.

I have one, but personally I'd say it's rather on the mild side, and that's for both combs. I also have the aluminium Shavecraft 101 dual head, which I find slightly outperforms the OSS stainless model, but is also mild.

Ferrum

Last edited:
Good Morning Gents,

Apologies for my tardiness and my lack of response to this thread. It's been a mental few days for me. Many thanks to everyone for your advice and taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

I thought I'd give you an update. I saw a S1 base plate on the ‘another' forum's BST section and decided to buy it. I then bought the S2 base plate and cap with the Kronos handle from Executive Shaving (with the TRS discount) plus a few soaps and creams. Well it would be rude not too.
I did look at the other options mentioned but the pull of the ATT was too strong.

I'll report back once they arrive.

Cheers
Rob

Watch your blade choice in the S2. No pressure and a smooth blade is the order of the day. My suggestion and only mine mind you would be a Russian blade such as Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira. It's probably going to be a little more aggresive than you are used to at first. I shaved with mine last night for the first time in ages. Respect was the order of the day once it hit my face it soon reminded me how good it was though.

Watch your blade choice in the S2. No pressure and a smooth blade is the order of the day. My suggestion and only mine mind you would be a Russian blade such as Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira. It's probably going to be a little more aggresive than you are used to at first. I shaved with mine last night for the first time in ages. Respect was the order of the day once it hit my face it soon reminded me how good it was though.

Cheers Wayne. I've tried a Voskhod twice (in my R1) and didn't get along with it. I'll probably try a Gillette 7 o'clock or Polsilver first. It all depending on what arrives first but I'd prefer to try the S1 first.

Cheers Wayne. I've tried a Voskhod twice (in my R1) and didn't get along with it. I'll probably try a Gillette 7 o'clock or Polsilver first. It all depending on what arrives first but I'd prefer to try the S1 first.
With the S1 you have a bit of wiggle room blade choice wise so the blades you mentioned will be fine. You will feel the difference though when you put the S2 on your face buddy.

Back
Top Bottom