A winter shaving cream

Refering to the question about the extra £10 for TOBS or GFT, is it worth it? I find prorasso products give an equal if not superior shave. If all you want is a nice daily shave with no irritation and quality skin care then categorically no. I love GFT, but it has sod all to do with practicality and more to do with pomp and ceremony than anything else. A proper 3 pass shave using GFT west indian limes range on a lazy sunday morning is my way of unwinding. A bit of a luxurious treat.

Monday to Friday pre work shave, prorasso all the way.

Greg.

Is it just me that although i love prorasso (both red & green) i find no scent in the red ???

I love tobs creams and for winter i would go with either sandalwood / mr taylors / lavender / almond. Any of these 4 do the trick for me...

I've seen a lot of comments saying the Sandalwood scent in Proraso's red is rubbish, and its very faint. I'm not overly bothered by how strong the scent is, and if enough of it is there, but if I'm going to be using it often (I shave every 2 days) then it'd be good to have something I can tolerate. I tried the blue one (protective cream?) by Proraso and it smelt weird.

I might give TOBS a go out of curiosity, see for myself if 'premium' brands really are better, but in some cases it really makes little difference, the Bulldog shaving cream is £3.49 and gave me one of the most comfortable shaves ever. Just found it strange it didn't lather much. I've used BlueBeard's Revenge too which is £9.99 a tub, thought it was a bit meh, overhyped and stuff.

ToBS sandalwood cream is a very strong, "old fashioned" soapy scent IMO. The Proraso Red is a much milder scent of sandalwood and Shea butter. I prefer the Proraso scent and there's no irritation from it like there was from the ToBS.

It's hard to describe, but the soap smells kind of creamy. There's a definite scent of something similar to one of the missuses many moisturising products which I assume is the Shea Butter (could be wrong, it's been known lol).

I suppose it's relatively cheap if you want to give it a go, but if you want to try it before splashing out I can scoop some out of the tub and post it to you if you like. Just PM your details.

Hmm well it doesn't sound too bad from how people are describing it.

Yeah its just a huge tube and if I didn't like it I'd have to sell it on here or something. That would be awesome. You've got the cream right, and not the soap?

The red always smelt like damp soil to me. I did enjoy the TOBS scent but my skin didnt. IMHO I would skip TOBS all together and go for one of the Dr Harris range, premium price and quality.

Oh no, sorry, it's the soap I've got. I'd have thought the scent would be the same though. It's definitely the seem between the green cream and green soap.

mattyb240 said:
The red always smelt like damp soil to me. I did enjoy the TOBS scent but my skin didnt. IMHO I would skip TOBS all together and go for one of the Dr Harris range, premium price and quality.

£15.95 for a shaving cream? Hmm. The only appealing one I can find is the eucalyptus cream.

Smiler said:
Oh no, sorry, it's the soap I've got. I'd have thought the scent would be the same though. It's definitely the seem between the green cream and green soap.

Argh, no worries, I think I can get an EJ Sandalwood sample somewhere. Might give that a go.

You need to be looking at woody and spicy scents rather than citrus and fresh type scents.

I found that the TOBS sandalwood cream is a strong scent with a mixture of things going on. I detect quite a lot of cedar in it. The Proraso "red" cream is less complicated, and it is much easier to pick out the sandalwood note, as there's not a lot else going on, and it's far more subtle than the TOBS.

If you want a proper Sandalwood cream, open your wallet a bit wider and hunt down some Art Of Shaving sandalwood cream, it's amazing and pure sandalwood.

Lavender works for me in both summer and winter, but again, it can vary. I have a DR Harris lavender soap which has a "cold" lavender scent to my nose, whereas the T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream that I have is a much warmer, more natural lavender scent.

Ian

IanM said:
If you want a proper Sandalwood cream, open your wallet a bit wider and hunt down some Art Of Shaving sandalwood cream, it's amazing and pure sandalwood.

Ian

I've not tried the cream but have both the after-shave balm and EDT and agree that it is a fabulous scent.

Thanks Ian, so Sandalwood seems to be a popular scent. Have put in an order for a sample EJ Sandalwood cream.

Ideally I would like to keep it under £10 for the cream, that's why Proraso is great, and it lasts ages. Anything more and you're just paying for the name really?

Re: RE: A winter shaving cream

IanM said:
You need to be looking at woody and spicy scents rather than citrus and fresh type scents.

I found that the TOBS sandalwood cream is a strong scent with a mixture of things going on. I detect quite a lot of cedar in it. The Proraso "red" cream is less complicated, and it is much easier to pick out the sandalwood note, as there's not a lot else going on, and it's far more subtle than the TOBS.

Lavender works for me in both summer and winter, but again, it can vary. I have a DR Harris lavender soap which has a "cold" lavender scent to my nose, whereas the T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream that I have is a much warmer, more natural lavender scent.

Ian
Spot on AOS has the best sandalwood scent and performance of the other two imo

Oh and Trumpers sandalwood deodorant stick is really nice too

Re: RE: A winter shaving cream

DPTC said:
I take it the AOS is an American brand? Are there are any UK stockists? Works out £15 a tub according to the converter.
It's a subsidiary of P&G who owns Gillette as well , it's their traditional wet shaving offer basically. As you noticed it's a US based firm. The best British Sandalwood imho is Simpson's. Around £11 delivered from Shavelounge when using the sr10 code.

A look at Simpsons Sandalwood Luxury Shaving Cream: http://youtu.be/xeowAIOXKqI

Back
Top Bottom