WTS Mint Fat Boy F4 **** Completed ****

RE: WTS Mint Fat Boy F4

BlkKnight said:
Is yours NOS?

Hi there,

I may be wrong, but there's a big difference between what's mint and what's NOS. To my mind, something NOS or NIB is exactly as it woulda been displayed on the store shelf. If it's a razor, that'll include the case, instructions, and orginal blade dispensor. The razor should be unused.

I could be off the mark here, but mint condition can apply to both original and replated razors. The main thing is there is zero signs of use on the item...not even the faintest door scratch near the safety bar. Seems like a replated or repainted razor could be considered mint, as long as any previous altering was disclosed.

Martin

Oh......may I recommend continuing to ease up on any future posts directed at Tony. He can be a little blunt on rare occasions, and this may be one of em. Now if you seriously really wanna resolve any issues, then keeping things friendly should be no problem. It's easy for a subject like this to cause some friction, which can in turn make the thread go waaaay south in a hurry. Not saying you'd do anything to cause that.....only mentioning the potential pitfall here.

Personally, I see your offering as what looks to be a fatboy in good shape.....maybe very good for all I know. Hard to tell what it looks like in real life. That's how I'd advertise it if it was mine to sell.

It's actually a good thing this grading subject came up, and maybe it'll help avoid some confusion on the future.

Martin

Just to prove a minor point, I've re-shot the doors under more cosmetically favourable conditions - single-source soft light with no other light sources.

I'm not sure which would be better to post up as a "for sale" image.

As a buyer, which would you prefer to see?

Dsc_6605.jpg

Dsc_6608.jpg
]

BlkKnight said:
Just to prove a minor point, I've re-shot the doors under more cosmetically favourable conditions - single-source soft light with no other light sources.

I'm not sure which would be better to post up as a "for sale" image.

As a buyer, which would you prefer to see?

Dsc_6605.jpg

Dsc_6608.jpg
]

Very good post, and one which will help me make a point. Those pics make the razor look much better, and they're probably closer to what the razor actually looks like.

Saying that, I would be really pissed off if I bought that razor and found ANY non factory defects of any kind. That would include wear marks or plating blems. When a razor is advertised as mint, there's no room for error.

Now look at the head from various angles and see if there's even the slightest blem on the doors. If there is, the razor's not mint. It may be in near mint shape, but it ain't mint. Big difference in expectations between the two.

Hows that sound?

Martin

I hear what you are saying re Mint and not being, and perhaps I may have been overzealous.

However, if the image posted by Antdad is considered mint despite obvious markings:

- water marks on lower doors
- water marks on end cap
- minor scratching on areas where it's in focus - perhaps others where it is not.

/edit The above was not meant to be a dig, just trying to indicate different opinions of what the "mint" can be.

Is there any room for interpenetration? The nickel plated razors did not have a mirror finish (like the lacquered Gold razors or the Rhodium plated), they have imperfections - much like the cheaper cars of today. I'm sure if you looked at a modern Parker @ 4x zoom, you'll see plenty of imperfections.

A public razor grading system like on B&B would probably help.

BlkKnight said:
I hear what you are saying re Mint and not being, and perhaps I may have been overzealous.

However, if the image posted by Antdad is considered mint despite obvious markings:

- water marks on lower doors
- water marks on end cap
- minor scratching on areas where it's in focus - perhaps others where it is not.

/edit The above was not meant to be a dig, just trying to indicate different opinions of what the "mint" can be.

Is there any room for interpenetration? The nickel plated razors did not have a mirror finish (like the lacquered Gold razors or the Rhodium plated), they have imperfections - much like the cheaper cars of today. I'm sure if you looked at a modern Parker @ 4x zoom, you'll see plenty of imperfections.

A public razor grading system like on B&B would probably help.

It is very simple if it is not perfect it cannot be mint. How difficult is that.
Regards,
Pete

That's what I'm trying to say. . . .

Nickel plated razors were never "perfect" (mirror finish) - even straight from the factory.

Anyway, I've re-shot the images (first post) and it's destined for ebay.

Is it worth starting a new thread to discuss grading & descriptions?

Back
Top Bottom