Wilkinson Sword Classic

The WSC was all I ever shaved with for 25 years, it was the razor my local chemist had in stock when I was a teenager,
the blades are cheap when compared to 'Moch 3', and it works.

I now know better :)

I used one this morning and it works, but is very very mild. It gives a passable shave and feels good but its a long way from an Edwin Jagger or vintage Gillette.

The Classic was my first 'real' DE razor. I find it gives a very mild shave it but does the job admirably and, very minor newbie nicks aside, you would need to be really cack-handed to cut yourself badly with it. I still use mine occasionally to tidy up the little corners under my nose where my Futur tends to be a bit awkward. It's well worth the £4 or £5 it costs, no more than the price of a couple of packs of disposables

I got one this week and have used it a couple of times. I had low expectations but have been pleasantly surprised.

It had a little more weight to it that I was expecting although not in the head which is pure plastic. Even though the "no pressure rule" still applies to this razor.
Just looking at it with a blade in it is obvious that this is a mild razor. The blade is covered at the corners with only the cutting edges exposed.

Two passes with a sharp feather blade got me smooth, albeit with some skin stretching required under my chin to achieve this. I normally get by pulling faces to stretch the skin enough to shave. Because of the lightness and mildness of the razor, I found myself shaving quicker and with less care than usual. I think that it would be quite hard to cut oneself with this razor.

I was overall impressed with the look, feel and performance of the razor. And I would recommend to anyone who is looking to give DE a try without dropping the big bucks on one of the "last a lifetime" razors. The RAD will come later. I would also recommend to anyone who wants a quick, careless shave who doesn't want to go down the cartridge route. At the price of 1 fusion cart, it's worth a pop.

I prefer this over the Boots offering at a similar price. My Boots razor was very light, badly cast and because of this did not shave but gauged instead. It got binned, The Wilkinson is a contender for my work wash bag.

Thanks

I did use this around 1992 to 2000. It is not bad, and it used to have a plastic wall fitting in the pack. You screw it onto the bathroom wall, and keep the razor and blades in the spaces provided. This is why the blades come in a larger style tray in order to fit the wall fitting. The only downside is that the handle can come loose, so beware of this.

I bought one to test DE shaving.
I agree its cheap, but it was an easy way in proper shaving. Mind you when i did get a proper razor i did have to learn all over again.

Back
Top Bottom