Wilkinson Sword Classic

Have just bought this razor for the pricely sum of £4 with 5blades free...

Will upload some pics when I get a chance, I figured for that price it would be worth a whirl. On first impressions one thought comes to mind: CHEAP and then Tacky and then Conned out of £4.

I haven't had a chance to have a shave with it yet, I'll report back shortly but I don't think it's going to be any good, the things mainly plastic whereas I thought from gazing in at the pack it was metal covered in plastic, the handle had a small amount of metal to it covered in plastic, the head is completley plastic too; making it extremley unbalanced in it's weight!

Even Wilkinson Sword seem to know it's crap, look at their description of it from their website:

For those 80’s retro folk out there, the Classic razor is sure to be the perfect fit for you. Its simple design and double edge blade technology provides excellent value for money. If you’re happy in your skin and know what you like, the Classic is the razor for you.

Features
* Double edge blade technology with a PTFE coating to reduce friction during the shave
* Simple retro handle design
* Excellent value for money

I can't believe they used the word Retro in it, that's just basic ebay scamming langauge, 80's Retro - crappy items when the plastic content skyrocketed in everything, 80's when no-one cared about anything except making a profit, the 80's, quite possibly the most depressing decade ever...

They evidently couldn't think of anything else to say about this razor or how to describe it. However I guess they'll be doing themselves a bit of a disservice if they said use a DE and get a closer shave thanyou ever will with one of these naff 4,5,6,7,8,9 blade razors.

So anyway, has anyone else used this razor?
Has anyone purchased a DE razor new, (not a vintage Superspeed found at an antiques market) for under £5/£10 that they're happy with? (I might add in the past 10years as well - inflation being what it is I'm pretty sure you could have bought huge amounts of Superspeeds & Fatboys when they first came out for £10)

Coincidently, I was planning on buying one of these jobbies today, but I am not going to get the chance.

I'm at work (on a ship), and it was a rush packing job. I just grabbed a couple of plastic disposables and some Clinique gel thats been hanging around since Christmas.

I've hated every shave since joining and, was going to walk into Morcambe and get said razor, one of their brushes and a tube of Palmolive, to tide me over until I get home. Just been told we're sailing early, so not going to manage. I appreciate that the wilkinsons shave experience will be a little different from my usual Feather/Futur combo, but I have seen the black razor in the shops and was keen to give it a try.

F.G.R.X said:
Has anyone purchased a DE razor new, (not a vintage Superspeed found at an antiques market) for under £5/£10 that they're happy with? (I might add in the past 10years as well - inflation being what it is I'm pretty sure you could have bought huge amounts of Superspeeds & Fatboys when they first came out for £10)

A Feather Portable (PM Pauldog - he's the seller) - for about $10 delivered to my door. Stunning piece of kit at a stunninger price point.

I bought one of the wilkie razors a few years ago, there are a very mild razor but will get the job done. Second the Feather Portable from Pauldog, got one as well but don't use it that often (too many razors not enough days :D ).

The wilkinson classic is a nice razor, cheap, good for an emergency or if you just want to try out DE shaving. I like mine but wouldn't worry about losing it.

The feather portable is outstanding. A neat little three piece razor, cheap and good for travelling or even everyday use. Get one before they disappear. Thanks Pauldog. ;)

So I tried it last night and to say it was mild would be an understatement, it's been two days since my last shave so I didn't have a lot of stubble but enough, I made a lovely thick superlather with T.O.B.S Sandalwood Soap & Cream and set to work with the Wilkinson Blade that came with it, so for a first pass it wasn't too bad but I couldn't feel the blade at all when shaving with it even holding it at what would normally be quite an aggressive angle.
I tried to go WTG again and no difference, thoroughly unimpressed I decided to try ATG which after this few passes would normally be quite a big no-no for me but I didn't think it would metter with this. I held my skin taught as poss. and still couldn't feel it cut the hairs or hear it cutting so I gave up and went back to my normal razor with a Personna in, didn't think much of them last shave but got BBS last night, so at least something good came out of it.

I think the issue with the razor is that there is so little blade exposed and it's set real far back from the bar that it allows very little hair in to the razor to be cut. I could barely see the blade inside the razor. Who knows, I might just suck with this but I won't be in a hurry to try it again.

It works but not close enough, if that was all I had then OK but I reckon you'd still feel quite a lot of stubble after the shave.

May have to gets me one of these feather razors...

Nice to know, if you were stuck and seen them they do give a shave that is at least irritation free because it cuts so little. OK you probably need to shave fours hours later but it is cheap and disposable.

The Feather Portable is a nice little razor, they are readily available still from the forum members, there aren't many NOS razors left these days (I believe they have stopped making them but there is plenty of stock still available for now). I would grab one even if just for nostalgia if nothing else. There is also a Feather Popular which is a different razor, I haven't tried that one, I have the portable one and found it was just OK but recently read of some who have swapped the handle over with improved results.

Bought cheap and new?

Yes I bought a Lord (L5? I think it's called) Tech clone on Amazon, it arrived in a blisterpack with a Lord SC blade. Cracking piece of kit, 3 piece CC and shaves like a dream with a Lord SC blade. Made in Egypt, lightweight aluminium, a perfect travel razor and I would imagine damn nigh indestructable. I wouldn't part with it actually.

With the caveat that that is my personal opinion and it works for me...er, I also think that Merkur blades are wonderful.

The feather portable and lord are better than the wilkinson razor, the wilkinson was actually my first razor and at the time thought it was ok but looking back it is a mild shaver, also you can get a weishi on the bay for just over a tenner.

Back
Top Bottom