Why I use SEs

Well for me the SE has, at the risk of avoiding the Straight or DE purist the best compromise between the two. To me it has the sound and feel of a Straight with out the hassle of stropping and honing, while only using the one Gem blade from Connaughts, thus avoiding the myriad choice of blades with a DE. For the lads that love the constant need for change this may sound a boring way of shaving but I can assure you it is a very relaxing way of shaving after the head scratching I employed at the start of this journey. It is great to get a fantastic shave every time.
Just for those that do not know I have found the O/C Gem Micromatic is my razor of choice my fourth version being the one I have settled on bought off eBay USA for the reasonable price of £23 posted. Each one shaved slightly differently, so is worth trying different versions of the same razor if you find a razor you like.
Your thoughts may well vary, but at this point in time, is my take on this great Hobby.
Regards,
Pete

Since i moved to SE shaving after half a century of wet shaving it's obviously got something special for some of us MoL. I've still got & use my SE travel on occasion & far as I recall it cost around £7 with a couple of other unwanted old razors thrown in for good luck from one of our own TSR good guys.
I use my Streamline (another valued good buy from TSR) as my go to of choice just because of the undramatic way it gives a gr8 shave time after time without (thus far) ever having nicked me or drawn blood.
As the ad could have said, "For the shaver who doesn't have to try too hard !" (apologies to Denim if I've infringed copyright.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
Since i moved to SE shaving after half a century of wet shaving it's obviously got something special for some of us MoL. I've still got & use my SE travel on occasion & far as I recall it cost around £7 with a couple of other unwanted old razors thrown in for good luck from one of our own TSR good guys.
I use my Streamline (another valued good buy from TSR) as my go to of choice just because of the undramatic way it gives a gr8 shave time after time without (thus far) ever having nicked me or drawn blood.
As the ad could have said, "For the shaver who doesn't have to try too hard !" (apologies to Denim if I've infringed copyright.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Yes the Streamline along with the O/C Gem Micromatic are so well made as well;) A nice change in pace I thought as well from all the frantic swapping and changing we can so easily fall into.

Pete

Indeed plus that the journey is where most of the fun still lies.

Always educating to hear the thoughts of experienced fellow members; I particularly liked the "...great to get a fantastic shave every time..." as well as the "...undramatic way..." bits gents.

"We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time". T.S. Eliot

We all end up being shaved by a Bic disposable!

Johnus said:
"We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time". T.S. Eliot

Is this some hideous reference to what happens in mortuaries before funerals??

Ken T M said:
Johnus said:

Is this some hideous reference to what happens in mortuaries before funerals??

And people wonder just what makes this the greatest shaving forum around !

JohnnyO. \:icon_cheesygrin:/

The reasons you give in your OP describe well the reasons I'm so very happy with the feather straights - low-maintenance, blade matched to razor, and consistently fabulous shaves.

I have an Ever Ready 1912 and like the design, build and feel of the razor in my hand. I wish SE blades were more readily available (for shaving - plenty of scrapers out there) but the ones that are are pretty good.
I get quite an aggressive shave with the SE but few DE razor and blade combos remove such stubble in the first pass.

For me its not an every day razor but it is a nice change of pace razor, as people round here seem to say.

I have a number of the "Repeater" injectors and have to say the "C" series Schicks really deliver an excellent 2 pass shave. I recently came into possession of a pristine "B" series and was let down by the comparatively poor shave when using the same blades. I'm kinda mystified in that I expected a much closer and comfortable shave than what I got. I love the looks and that may have to suffice. Perhaps some of the Chinese Schick blades might make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom