Which Vintage DE Razor for Newbie?

I think it's poor advice. Adjustables add too many variables to someone learning the skill of shaving and the interaction of razor, blades, and soap. Krona, Tech, Superspeed are all good starters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I can only relate to my experience, the slim adjustable was really useful in learning about my preferences.

100% agree, when trying to attain any new skill, consistency is the first step towards proficiency.

I can only relate to my experience, the slim adjustable was really useful in learning about my preferences.

100% agree, when trying to attain any new skill, consistency is the first step towards proficiency.
Here's the thing, from my point of view. Use of a relatively mild fixed head razor like a Tech or Krona, forces one to learn proper angle. An adjustable by expanding potential angles by widening blade gap, allows the beginning shaver to get sloppy with angle. As well as adding a variable the beginner doesn't need in evaluating the development of their skills. Make it a second razor :) .

Guys I've spotted a gilette Knack or I think it's called slim twist that might be good. How do these perform?

Also spotted couple of techs that just need a good clean and polish. Again however these to use?

The knack looks the rarer razor

Help us out here,..do you want a good shave or a rare razor?,.....

Sorry :-( far cry toff. Mainly a good shave I'd like, not too bothered about rarerity but I quite like the fact I want to buy a vintage razor, clean it polish it and then use it, sounds very appealing but very new to the DE Razor world.

No apology needed mate,...my advice therefore is to go for a Tech, my pre-war Canadian shaves me perfectly.
Get you kit and technique down pat and you can always keep your eyes peeled for some great vintage razors on here.
when you get a bit better known, there are plenty of great guys on here that wouldn't
mind loaning out razors for you to try before you commit yourself.

Right bit of an update

Managed to bag a Gillette Tech for 99p + postage. Yes bit of a risk but for that price couldn't resist. Looks ok in the photos, look forward to cleaning it all up.

Not sure what variant of tech it is.

Link if won auction is here, this isn't live auction like I did before so hopefully it's within forum rules, if not I'll upload the photos.

What do you guys think

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-safety-razor-rare-/182726476350

Guys I've spotted a gilette Knack or I think it's called slim twist that might be good. How do these perform?

Also spotted couple of techs that just need a good clean and polish. Again however these to use?

Krona is superior in all respects. The Knack signaled Gillette's embrace of mediocrity. It feels really cheap.

Gillette Knacks and Twists are decent razors. Fairly mild though, and if you ask me, a little dull. They gave me good, but not exceptional shaves, and I ended up selling mine on.

You can't go wrong with a Tech, and part of me says everyone should have one. Paired with a sharp blade, it will do a lot of good shaving. Again, it won't really expand your repertoire in that it is a bit of an "everyman" razor; safe, easy, not overly aggressive. I woudn't be in tears if told it was the only razor I could ever shave with, but nor would I be as satisfied as if told I was to stick with my 37c for the rest of my days.

Don't over think this. Vintage razors are fairly stable in price in the short term. You can buy something, try it and sell it on without taking much of a hit. Keep an eye out on BST on this forum. People tend to offer sensible prices knowing that potential buyers are well informed.

Right bit of an update

Managed to bag a Gillette Tech for 99p + postage. Yes bit of a risk but for that price couldn't resist. Looks ok in the photos, look forward to cleaning it all up.

Not sure what variant of tech it is.

Link if won auction is here, this isn't live auction like I did before so hopefully it's within forum rules, if not I'll upload the photos.

What do you guys think

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gillette-safety-razor-rare-/182726476350

That's a 60s aluminium handled Tech. Excellent choice for a first razor (Or so I've been told ;)) - I have one exactly the same from my dad. A few shaves in now and it seems pretty decent. Good buy as long as nothings bent

Back
Top Bottom