Which shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?

Vosene.
Now there's a blast from the past!
Can it really be as good as my defective memory suggests?
At present (and for many years) I've been using Head & Shoulders. Suspect, with no objective evidence, that H&S contributes to occasional scalp itchiness so am looking for simple viable alternatives.
£2 on Grimazon. I'll let you know...

Last edited:
Vosene.
Now there's a blast from the past!
Can it really be as good as my defective memory suggests?
At present (and for many years) I've been using Head & Shoulders. Suspect, with no objective evidence, that H&S contributes to occasional scalp itchiness so am looking for simple viable alternatives.
£2 on Grimazon. I'll let you know...
I used to use head and shoulders for years, they reformulated it a while back and it made my scalp itchy. I stopped using it. To be honest I prefer vosene, love the smell of it.

...pure vosene (the active ingredient) was

Sodium sulphosuccinated undecilenic mono-alkylilamide...

I've probably misinterpreted the flavour of your post?
However, <geek mode on> undertook some deep dive research to comment on the specifics.

Original formula Vosene now contains salicylic acid, an anti-dandruff ingredient.
This was not the active ingredient prior to the late 1980s. Before the change to salicylic acid, the two active ingredients in Vosene were coal tar and sulphusuccinated undecylenic monoalkanolamide.
These chemicals were discovered to be carcinogenic, leading to their replacement with salicylic acid; therefore, what's now marketed as "original formula" Is not the same product as before. <geek mode off>

Just my 2p worth.
Slainte
:)

Just water... It's been so for about 2 months now and my scalp is just beginning to sort itself out after a lifetime of shampoo abuse. It goes through an oily phase initially after stopping but soon passes.

A most excellent approach.

Years ago when I had long hair I never washed it for over 4 years and I can't think of anytime it looked and felt better. Went through an itchy period, but once that had disappeared absolutely perfect.

Then I shaved the lot off and grew a goatee over a foot long. No need for anything then.

And here I am short hair and as clean shaven as can be. What shampoo do I use? Whatever my wife uses.

Switched a while ago to gruum shampoo bars and have not looked back.
No plastic waste, lathers like a shaving soap and works for my sensitive scalp too!
+1
Thanks for the tip.
I'd never heard of the likes of Grüum until now.

Long story short there is an offer on at the moment. A package "normally" £50 - includes moisturiser, facial oil, hand cream, body bar and wash bag up for £15.
Available via Money Saving Expert site here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/gruum/
Thought I'd take a punt and just ordered one. I don't care much for the (very) pink bag but the rest of the deal looks quite interesting.

There are 5,000 sets available and the offer will end at 11.59pm on Tuesday 22 November or when all sets sell out, whichever's sooner. Looking at the MSE website a bit closer, Grüum seem to have "flash" sales like this now and again (last one back in July).

When you complete the purchase you also get the option to buy some substantially discounted Grüum exfoliator and moisturiser (for a tenner, down from £22). As a Scotsman living in Yorkshire I couldn't resist ;)

Switched a while ago to gruum shampoo bars and have not looked back.
No plastic waste, lathers like a shaving soap and works for my sensitive scalp too!
Not only can shampoo bars avoid the plastic packaging, but also the addition, transportation and storage of all the extra water involved with 'normal' shampoo. When I bought my first load of shaving gear earlier in the year I added a D.R. Harris Windsor shampoo bar to my basket. Although I wouldn't by the same fragrance next time, I am impressed by my first experience of a bar.

Back
Top Bottom