Which one?

What should my next razor type be, slant bar or open comb?

• Slant Bar

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Open comb

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Gentlemen, your opinions please :)
I think it's time for a new razor type to add to the collection, but which one?
Open comb or slant bar, before any of you say both :roll: I can only sneak one razor at a time into the house :oops:
I will of course be getting both eventually, but which one first :?:

tubby_shaw said:
Gentlemen, your opinions please :)
Open comb or slant bar, before any of you say both :roll: I can only sneak one razor at a time into the house :oops:
:

What's up buddy,

I'd suggest getting an open comb type rather than the slant. To me, the way a slant shaves isn't all that different from a regular DE razor. Personally, I don't find the shave to be much closer (if at all) than some other DEs I've tried.

Now an open comb is quite a different beast from a straight bar. Those DO shave me closer....some more than others. Yeah, not all OC razors shave the same, and your choice should be based on how much of a bite you want. Some of these will feel like a 5 on the Gillette scale, and others can go up to 8-9 (or higher). I have some open comb types in my rotation, and I have others I never use because they're too uncomfortable.

It's been a long time since going through my OC phase, so hopefully this info will all be correct as far as the different models goes. I'd look for a razor with a NEW or NEW Improved head. I can't remember if they're both made in a long and short tooth version, and I'd go for the long tooth. Those are a little milder than a ST version, but still have plenty of bite. The teeth curve down a bit, which helps temper the feel somewhat.

The razors with an Old Type head are gonna be on the aggressive side. Those all have short teeth and will possibly give the closest shave. Heh, that can come at a price though.......the comfort may suffer. Plus, you really have to pay attention to detail with those things. Some people love em and some hate those types (me for example).

Well, that's a start anyway. I'm sure there's things I left out, but you can sorta get the idea about how an OC performs. Almost every one I've used shaves closer than the many straight bars I've sampled. It's just a question of which type fits best.

Martin

I recently sold my slant and kept my OC's. Currently I would do a 3 pass shave with my Mühle R89 closed comb and get a DFS/BBS shave. Using my Merkur 15c I can get a DFS with just 2 passes, I can't get as close with my R89. I have a tough beard, soft and dry skin.

Looks like I've just evened things up by voting open comb, not that I've ever used a slant, mind. The NEW is amongst my favourite DE razors, and an old brassy thing (Old? twin ring? dunno) which I bought for a friend turned in a very good performance too. Slants strike me as a bit gimmicky, but maybe I'm missing the point?

Back
Top Bottom