When is it time to replace a DE blade?

Im sure this has been done before.......But I was wondering, just how do you know there is no more life left in the blade?
Is it because you get more nicks?
Does it feel like it is dragging?
Or perhaps after the usual 3 passes your face still isnt smooth?

I only ask because I dont keep track of how many shaves Im having when replacing the blade.
Ive been told from another member to replace after 4 shaves. When ive seen on the shave of the day, people are getting as many as perhaps 9 shaves from the blade.
I dont shave every day, maybe every 1.5 to 2 days so perhaps I should change the blade every 10 days??

So what do you think?
Or, how do you keep track of the number of shaves per blade? or do you just change the blade every week?
After all they are cheap enough.

Thanks.

Truth is those that can get 90 shaves out of a blade may have very little to shave and your beard may be like copper wire. Who knows?

You've described all the symptoms of a dulling blade but I go for a default 3 shaves and you're out keeping only one razor loaded at a time. That would leave you changing the blade once a week, seems reasonable.

Personally I change mine on a Monday morning - whether I need to or not.

I've got far too much stuff to think about without keeping track of the number of shaves I've had.

Yes, I think that changing once a week is a good bet.
Like I say, blades are cheap and easy enough to get hold of, so from now on the blade will be changed every Monday, starting today :D
Thanks for the advise.

Oh, is there time for me to write something? I know when to change when there is a tugging sensation on my hairs. This often precedes some sort of nick so that's another reason to change. I don't keep track but estimate I get 3-4 days out of each blade pretty much regardless of brand.

I like to use long shaving strokes. When a blade is on it's way out, it will tug/drag soon after the start of the stroke. I can then get another few shaves if I use short strokes (like Mantic in his video). I used to do this with Sensor cartridges because of their cost and I was less concerned (obsessed?!) with getting a perfect shave. DE blades are so cheap that I don't bother with that tactic now. As soon as it starts to drag, I replace it mid-shave.

I keep count of the number of shaves with a dice next to my razor (nothing to think about). Mainly because I've been interested in keeping track to compare the longevity of different blades.

One problem for me with replacing once a week is that I'd be taking some blades well into drag/nick bluntness territory. I shave every day, sometimes twice a day (if I'm going out in the evening) and some blades only last 3-4 shaves. I could change twice a week but some blades are capable of staying sharp for 10+ three pass shaves (Feathers and Thai Super Thins in my experience) and I don't want to chuck them after 3 or 4 shaves.

For me it is that draggging and tugging against the hairs that is quite apparent for some blades, less so for others. Different blades have lasted 0.5 to 5+ shaves with an average of about 3. When I was trying out the sampler packs and so many other new blades it was easy to throw them before they were worn out because I wanted to move on to the next one.

bean said:
I like to use long shaving strokes. When a blade is on it's way out, it will tug/drag soon after the start of the stroke. I can then get another few shaves if I use short strokes (like Mantic in his video). I used to do this with Sensor cartridges because of their cost and I was less concerned (obsessed?!) with getting a perfect shave. DE blades are so cheap that I don't bother with that tactic now. As soon as it starts to drag, I replace it mid-shave.

I keep count of the number of shaves with a dice next to my razor (nothing to think about). Mainly because I've been interested in keeping track to compare the longevity of different blades.

One problem for me with replacing once a week is that I'd be taking some blades well into drag/nick bluntness territory. I shave every day, sometimes twice a day (if I'm going out in the evening) and some blades only last 3-4 shaves. I could change twice a week but some blades are capable of staying sharp for 10+ three pass shaves (Feathers and Thai Super Thins in my experience) and I don't want to chuck them after 3 or 4 shaves.

I like your dice trick :)
Im gonna give that a go.
I have yet to try Feathers, I have spent the last few weeks mastering my technique so im probably ready to give the Feathers a go, I have a pack which another forum member very kindly sent me with a few other makes to try out.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom