when did you start 'wet shaving' and what did you use?

I liked the R41 to a point, I went from a R89 to a R41 and when the SS R41 came out I had to buy it but I was a little disappointed because although it looked the same it didn't feel the same as my old R41, it felt completely different, I don't think it was just the weight, it was the materials, the zamak and chrome felt better, to me anyway! So it got moved on quickly! Try before you buy! If at all possible! :)

Paul.
Fair heads up mate, thank you! I don't see them round about all that often, then again I'm not actively searching, but perhaps many found the same!

Cheers

Marc

Fair heads up mate, thank you! I don't see them round about all that often, then again I'm not actively searching, but perhaps many found the same!

Cheers

Marc
I would certainly try and borrow one and give it a test first before you decide to purchase one, you may find you like it but sadly not for me.

Paul.

Mid 80s. Unfortunately I had nobody to teach me as my dad used electric razors. They never worked for me.

I used plastic cartridge razors and shavettes. Sometimes with hand soap. Sometimes dry. Sometimes with foam.

The results were not great!

I already have some decent kit set away for my son for for when he’s old enough...

Same head but the DE87 has the ivory resin handle and the DE86 is black.
Thanks didn't know

I got a few de89s, always enjoyed them although I prefer slightly more aggressive razors

Btw one razor I think gets over looked for newbies, which is the fatip gentile

Also I don't get why newbies aren't adviced more often to try out adjustables as their first razors instead of the likes or merkur 34c or like the de89s

I started in mid 50s and daily Shaver from 1959, using a Gilette Slim twist, with Wilkinson blades. In my early days used Erasmic soap, but quickly switched to Yardley. Black Label.
I think I gravitated to carts in early 70s, and returned to proper Shaving around 2013.
That's a long time for a daily shaver,
How did you find daily shaving with carts?

I "began to shave" with an electric because that's what my dad used.

I "shocked my face" the day I joined the army when I was 16 years old and had my electric razor confiscated and was sent at double time to the NAAFI and had to buy a cartridge razor and 2 tins of shaving foam. One tin to use and one tin to attack with wire wool to get all the paint off and then polish to a high standard for locker inspections.

I "bumbled" along with 95% electric shaves for many years in the army and after I left.

I "plodded along" with cartridges as I found as I got older the electric dried my face too much.

Sometime in about 2012 (and I can't remember why) I joined this online house of fun and the rest as they say is history.

I started wet shaving in 84 with Wilkinson Sword disposables, moving to the Gillette Contour in the late 80's. I upgraded to the Gillette Sensor in 91. Also in 1991, I bought my first Wilkinson Sword DE. I used canned goo until I upgraded to gel in 99. In the early noughties I found Ingram's and Jordan made Erasmic on a dusty shelf in a local pharmacy. My first decent cream was TOB'S Rose in the mid noughties.

I started wet shaving in 84 with Wilkinson Sword disposables, moving to the Gillette Contour in the late 80's. I upgraded to the Gillette Sensor in 91. Also in 1991, I bought my first Wilkinson Sword DE. I used canned goo until I upgraded to gel in 99. In the early noughties I found Ingram's and Jordan made Erasmic on a dusty shelf in a local pharmacy. My first decent cream was TOB'S Rose in the mid noughties.
TOBS Rose was my first ‘posh’ cream. Great scent.

I started shaving back in the mid 1980’s. I can’t remember what I used but it was one of the cartridge razors of the time, either foam, gel or just plain bar soap for lather and my hands. Looking back it was terrible. Then in 2008 I’d been watching Mantic on YouTube and decided that I’d save some money by getting a safety razor. My first DE was a Merkur Progress, brush was a Rooney 1/2 and my cream was Palmolive.

We all know that it can be a huge rabbit hole, I never really fallen down it due to lack of available funds but I have a small but nice selection of products that I enjoy. The best thing for me is the relaxation time it gives me and sharing and receiving advice on the forum as well as the banter too.

Last edited:
I started my wet shave journey in 2016. My set was a merkur 30c razor, wilkinson brush from Tesco’s and the Wilkinson soap in the blue tub also from tesco’s. I still have the set up and still us the razor.
i really to try out the black wilkinson sword soap ive had for ages but yet to crack open lol

any idea if the blue or the black one is consiered to be better?

I started shaving back in the mid 1980’s. I can’t remember what I used but it was one of the cartridge razors of the time, either foam, gel or just plain bar soap for lather and my hands. Looking back it was terrible. Then in 2008 I’d been watching Mantic on YouTube and decided that I’d save some money by getting a safety razor. My first DE was a Merkur Progress, brush was a Rooney 1/2 and my cream was Palmolive.

We all know that it can be a huge rabbit hole, I never really fallen down it due to lack of available funds but I have a small but nice selection of products that I enjoy. The best thing for me is the relaxation time it gives me and sharing and receiving advice on the forum as well as the banter too.
that mantic youtuber was great to learn from, mantic and geoatboyare like the OGs youtubers of wet shaving

i dont think that mantic has osted ayoutube vid for a long time though

Back
Top Bottom