when did you start 'wet shaving' and what did you use?

Always used a can of gel with plastic razor. Does that count?
Clueless shaving tbh. Anything cheap did the job.
Got terrible shaves and sometimes used razor dry. What was I thinking?
No Idea or interest in it tbh.

Got curious seeing De razors in shops plus mentioned on American podcasts a few times so I bought a wilkinson sword DE off Amazon and a wilkinson sword soap puck from supermarket around the middle of 2022.
Watched YouTube and about same time found this forum.

I don't use that razor or soap now
yea i used to use foam and gel, dont remember which brands though

Weirdly, I started on the 1st of November 2013 - the same day as starting Movember. Began with a Wilkinson Sword classic razor + brush & Palmolive cream. Spent the first month shaving my neck and chops only. A couple of blood baths along the way as excpected.
sounds like wilkinson sword made some dough of us lot lool :ROFLMAO:

funny thing is looking back i used to use loads of shaving cream as i didnt know you had to create a lather and was just kinda using it like a gel or likehow you would foam, does make me laugh thinking aout it now

i think the youth these days dont reealise how blessed they are with youtube vids and tutorials online

Started with a sensor excel and canned efforts, packed that in and used electric for a good while.

A little while later in 2017, chock full of ignorance and an Amazon account, picked up an R41, GSBs, mitchells wool fat, and a random brush (no idea what it was or what happened to it), bit of blood letting I managed to get the hang of it.

Then joined this place and it's been downhill ever since ;), only then did I realise I'd jumped into the slightly deeper end of the pool, but I at least made an accidental but wise choice in software.

I miss my R41, can't believe I got rid of it!
you know i like that you jumped straight into the r41, sometimes its about confidence and just jumping into the deep end

why did you get rid of the r41?

I started with an all-metal Gillette Contour (still have it too) in my late teens. I used canned goop until around 2002 when I began using a cheap Kent boar to lather Wright’s coal tar soap.

Around that time I upgraded to a TOBS beech wood handled Sensor Excel then added a TOBS Mach 3 in ivory. Went back to the Sensor which gave a superior shave and edged sideburns way better.

I kept seeing Wilkinson Sword DE razors in pharmacies but knew absolutely nothing about them so was feard to make the jump. Then in 2012, a mate who sadly died the following year persuaded me to give DE a try by first pointing me in TSR’s direction.

It was on this very forum that I purchased a US Gillette Superspeed (from TallPaul) and had few bloodbaths along the way. I despaired of getting a decent shave with the SS so I bought a EJ DE89L which I still posses and was the first razor I really got on with.

I’d used and destroyed a couple of cheap, nasty Kent boars by this time so along came the iconic Vulfix 404A ‘Bodger’ which served me incredibly well.

Later in 2012, I added an Omega 20102 and still love the look and performance of that thoroughly excellent brush. I also obtained a sacrificial Omega boar with which I combined my other hobby of green wood carving to make my first hand-carved brush. That handle is still going strong and only got a new knot late last year.

Umpteen razors have come and gone and it’s the same with brushes. I’ve been in out of the rabbit hole a few times, like many of us I expect.

Let’s see what the future holds…

you know i like that you jumped straight into the r41, sometimes its about confidence and just jumping into the deep end

why did you get rid of the r41?
Not sure it was necessarily confidence more like ignorance, but agree there's nothing like going in with both feet sometimes.

They released the stainless and I was all on for getting my hands on it, so I thought I'd shift the standard one on beforehand. Then I just never got around to picking it up. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point!

Started with a sensor excel and canned efforts, packed that in and used electric for a good while.

A little while later in 2017, chock full of ignorance and an Amazon account, picked up an R41, GSBs, mitchells wool fat, and a random brush (no idea what it was or what happened to it), bit of blood letting I managed to get the hang of it.

Then joined this place and it's been downhill ever since ;), only then did I realise I'd jumped into the slightly deeper end of the pool, but I at least made an accidental but wise choice in software.

I miss my R41, can't believe I got rid of it!
If the brush was from Amazon you could look at your order history (search for "brush" rather than scrolling?). That's if you're interested to know.

I started with an all-metal Gillette Contour (still have it too) in my late teens. I used canned goop until around 2002 when I began using a cheap Kent boar to lather Wright’s coal tar soap.

Around that time I upgraded to a TOBS beech wood handled Sensor Excel then added a TOBS Mach 3 in ivory. Went back to the Sensor which gave a superior shave and edged sideburns way better.

I kept seeing Wilkinson Sword DE razors in pharmacies but knew absolutely nothing about them so was feard to make the jump. Then in 2012, a mate who sadly died the following year persuaded me to give DE a try by first pointing me in TSR’s direction.

It was on this very forum that I purchased a US Gillette Superspeed (from TallPaul) and had few bloodbaths along the way. I despaired of getting a decent shave with the SS so I bought a EJ DE89L which I still posses and was the first razor I really got on with.

I’d used and destroyed a couple of cheap, nasty Kent boars by this time so along came the iconic Vulfix 404A ‘Bodger’ which served me incredibly well.

Later in 2012, I added an Omega 20102 and still love the look and performance of that thoroughly excellent brush. I also obtained a sacrificial Omega boar with which I combined my other hobby of green wood carving to make my first hand-carved brush. That handle is still going strong and only got a new knot late last year.

Umpteen razors have come and gone and it’s the same with brushes. I’ve been in out of the rabbit hole a few times, like many of us I expect.

Let’s see what the future holds…
so would you say you prefer boars over badgers or synthetics?

ive hardly used my flare tip/superspeed but one gillette i love which i think is underrated is the rocket hd (british made)

never used a kent shaving brush yet but i stil see myself as a novice when it comes to trying wet shaving products

Sometime in the 90s, I started with carts and Gillette gel. My first DE razor, (Gillette flare tip) came from ebay around 2009 after a whimsical search and an impulsive buy. A tub of Cella and some DE blades followed. I still own, and occasionally use, the flare tip still today.

The first new razor I bought was an EJ DE87 after joining this forum in 2013. I still own this razor, though it's been retired from use. Joined the forum 10 years ago! o_O

Sometime in the 90s, I started with carts and Gillette gel. My first DE razor, (Gillette flare tip) came from ebay around 2009 after a whimsical search and an impulsive buy. A tub of Cella and some DE blades followed. I still own, and occasionally use, the flare tip still today.

The first new razor I bought was an EJ DE87 after joining this forum in 2013. I still own this razor, though it's been retired from use. Joined the forum 10 years ago! o_O

Great to see you back. I hope you are well.

Not sure it was necessarily confidence more like ignorance, but agree there's nothing like going in with both feet sometimes.

They released the stainless and I was all on for getting my hands on it, so I thought I'd shift the standard one on beforehand. Then I just never got around to picking it up. I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point!
I think I'd really enjoy the r41 in SSdue to the feel and quality

It's a top razor the r41, surprised more people haven't copied the head more like the r89

PM incoming

Ohh cool, still not used cells but sounds like very good stuff

Is that de87 same thing as the de89?

I liked the R41 to a point, I went from a R89 to a R41 and when the SS R41 came out I had to buy it but I was a little disappointed because although it looked the same it didn't feel the same as my old R41, it felt completely different, I don't think it was just the weight, it was the materials, the zamak and chrome felt better, to me anyway! So it got moved on quickly! Try before you buy! If at all possible! :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom